Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Pointers and tips to buy a 944? (Southern California)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:25 AM
meisterfahrer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pointers and tips to buy a 944? (Southern California)

Hi, I'm 14 and have been a fan of Porsches since I was a kid. My dad used to own a Porsche ( '99 Carrera) but was forced to sell it due to financial issues. Since we are financially stable again, I've been looking at options for a first car, and was really thinking about the 944. It isn't too high powered, but it's still faster than your average civic. My dad told me to check out this website, since he had used it to buy an aftermarket exhaust for his 911, and also used to post frequently. So today I'm wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on what to look for when buying a 944 ( good years, bad years, price ranges, etc.). I'm in southern California by the way. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this thread can go on for a while, but here are some things that you may want to check out before you pull the trigger.... (I'm ignoring the question about which year is better or price as I only have an 84, so I can't really tell you much..but, I will say that there are times when I lament crawling under the steering wheel to check fuses and wish I had bitten on that 87 that has the fuse box in the engine bay. Am I correct that Porsche moved the fuses there from 85.5 on???) Anyway,

1. Check if everything electric works. Turn on all switches and make sure. Have someone look at the lights from outside when you turn them on. These don't have to be deal breakers, but too many issues here may indicate something more serious going on. Electrical issues can range from annoying to debilitating... so just be comfortable where you fall on that continuum.

2. Look at the common issue of the metal hatch frame separating from the glass. You can tell by looking at the hinges at the top of the hatch. it's pretty obvious.

3. Ask about the last time (if ever) the motor mounts, timing belt and water pump have been changed. Ask for receipts. These are normal maintenance items, but a cheaper car that needs these may not be a better bargain that a more expensive one that has these done recently. (Ask me and my wallet how I know this...)

4. For a pre-85.5 model, see if the gas tank is full. It is a common issue for early 944's to have cracks in the top of the gas tank and you can smell it. This can be obvious if the tank is full, but not if the tank is at 1/2. (this is an issue on mine.) If you take one for a test drive, be a nice fellow and ask to fill it up..... see what the reaction is.

5. Open the sunroof and take it out. See if the retractable arms work as they should.

And the list can go on... but I do applaud your idea here - working on the 944 has been one of the most educational experiences that I have ever had. Almost everything is mechanical, electrical or vacuum controlled, and these are all understandable and you can learn a whole lot.... I look back on my long list of fixes to my 84, and I can't believe how much I have learned about cars and this model in particular.

Hope this helps. Looking forwards to what other folks have to say, as well... good luck.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM
meisterfahrer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Schmooey
Well, this thread can go on for a while, but here are some things that you may want to check out before you pull the trigger.... (I'm ignoring the question about which year is better or price as I only have an 84, so I can't really tell you much..but, I will say that there are times when I lament crawling under the steering wheel to check fuses and wish I had bitten on that 87 that has the fuse box in the engine bay. Am I correct that Porsche moved the fuses there from 85.5 on???) Anyway,

1. Check if everything electric works. Turn on all switches and make sure. Have someone look at the lights from outside when you turn them on. These don't have to be deal breakers, but too many issues here may indicate something more serious going on. Electrical issues can range from annoying to debilitating... so just be comfortable where you fall on that continuum.

2. Look at the common issue of the metal hatch frame separating from the glass. You can tell by looking at the hinges at the top of the hatch. it's pretty obvious.

3. Ask about the last time (if ever) the motor mounts, timing belt and water pump have been changed. Ask for receipts. These are normal maintenance items, but a cheaper car that needs these may not be a better bargain that a more expensive one that has these done recently. (Ask me and my wallet how I know this...)

4. For a pre-85.5 model, see if the gas tank is full. It is a common issue for early 944's to have cracks in the top of the gas tank and you can smell it. This can be obvious if the tank is full, but not if the tank is at 1/2. (this is an issue on mine.) If you take one for a test drive, be a nice fellow and ask to fill it up..... see what the reaction is.

5. Open the sunroof and take it out. See if the retractable arms work as they should.

And the list can go on... but I do applaud your idea here - working on the 944 has been one of the most educational experiences that I have ever had. Almost everything is mechanical, electrical or vacuum controlled, and these are all understandable and you can learn a whole lot.... I look back on my long list of fixes to my 84, and I can't believe how much I have learned about cars and this model in particular.

Hope this helps. Looking forwards to what other folks have to say, as well... good luck.
Thanks! Many of the 944s I've seen have been earlier models, but a lot of them said they had new timing belts, water pumps, and motor mounts. I'll be sure to look out for those.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it will pass smog. If I recall, in California the seller is responsible to make sure it passes.
Ask if the clutch has been replaced and if it has, with what type of disk. Does the odometer work correctly?
Check the battery tray and firewall in that area for rust holes.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:30 PM
meisterfahrer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Funn944
Make sure it will pass smog. If I recall, in California the seller is responsible to make sure it passes.
Ask if the clutch has been replaced and if it has, with what type of disk. Does the odometer work correctly?
Check the battery tray and firewall in that area for rust holes.
Thanks, and yes the seller is required to make sure the car passes smog. Luckily since I'm in California almost no cars really ever have rust, but I will make sure to check.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

I do "mobile maintenance" around Socal, have done since 2008.
I know 944s backwards and forwards...and can save you a lot of money vs taking to a shop.

Send me a PM if you might be interested or maybe want a second set of eyes on a car you're considering.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM
meisterfahrer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I do "mobile maintenance" around Socal, have done since 2008.
I know 944s backwards and forwards...and can save you a lot of money vs taking to a shop.

Send me a PM if you might be interested or maybe want a second set of eyes on a car you're considering.
Alright. If I need any assistance/ or someone to check out a car I'll hit you up
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's some homework:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/purchase.htm

Also, you should definitely ask Spencer to go with you to check the car over; since he has years of experience working on them, he will have a good idea what's right and wrong on the car. He will save you a lot of money and time in the long run.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:39 AM
meisterfahrer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Here's some homework:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/purchase.htm

Also, you should definitely ask Spencer to go with you to check the car over; since he has years of experience working on them, he will have a good idea what's right and wrong on the car. He will save you a lot of money and time in the long run.
Ok. I read it all, and it seems like an awful lot to check for. Are all those things mandatory, or could I skimp out on a few of them? That site seems like a great resource so I'll definitely look at it some more.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:30 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Which ones do you think you could skimp out on?

Quick Reply: Pointers and tips to buy a 944? (Southern California)