Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Late 944 Speed and Reference Sensor Help!

Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late 944 Speed and Reference Sensor Help!

Hello, I am new to this discussion thing, but i am stumped on how to replace my 944 speed and reference sensor. I just got this car as a project. Every once in a while the car will start after lots and lots and lots of cranking. I have replaced Lots of parts including the reference and speed sensors. My tac still does not bounce when cranking. I am very confused on the whole gap and washer thing. Anyone know how to help me learn what this .8mm gap thing is. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:17 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Did you replace the DME relay already?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gapping of the sensors, yes it is a little confusing at first until you have done it a few times and nick-up your hands pretty good. The speed sensor is the only one you use the washer on. The speed and reference sensors are both the same part numbers and same part. The harness they plug into is critical, if you have them plugged in the wrong harness the car will never start. The speed sensor is the one closest to the firewall. Find a washer that measures .8 super glue it to your sensor. Loosen the mounting bracket that holds the 2 sensors and make sure it moves freely and has both of the bolts. I took out the bracket and cleaned and greased the holes for everything to move freely. The bracket is very difficult to remove, loosen up and tighten, not much room at all. With the bracket loose and freely moving install the speed sensor with the washer superglued onto it into the hole closet to the firewall. slug up the bolt that holds the sensor, press the sensor into the flywheel and tighten the bracket, then remove the sensor and scrape off the washer and super glue. Re-install the speed sensor and then the reference sensors and your done, well maybe. The reference sensor is adjusted with the speed sensor, but it picks up set screws in the flywheel and they can only be checked with the torque tube out, but don't normally cause issue. I looked up images on google to see what exactly how the sensors look and work.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

Thank you for your responses. Yes @698workaholic I replaced the DME relay. The old one was bad. I can now heard my pump turning on and I am getting fuel to the Spark plugs. The ignition coil is new as well as the distributor cap and rotor. The wires to the sparkplugs are all new. I'm getting power to the coil, but just no pulse to it. @AZ520, Thank you. This is easier to understand than Clarks garage. I have my old sensors that I will use to set the gap. I'm hoping this will help give me signals. I tried today to loosen the mountain bracket, but I just cant figure it out. It is an allen head socket but I cant figure out the size. Ive heard it is 6mm. I will try again after school tonight. Thank you again!!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

One quick thing, Could it be my ECU? Im hoping not because I don't have money to just dump everywhere.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:15 AM
AZ520
Instructor

It could be lots of things, while you are straitening out your sensors you need to look into the reference sensor hole, rotate the engine and make sure all 4 set screws are in place and tight on the flywheel. It is possible they came loose or fallen out.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

So i'm trying to loosen the bracket that holds the sensors. it took a while but i got the one on top loose. But now i cannot get the bottoms one loose. I've used on blaster and still nothing. it's a very tight spot. any tips or tools i could use.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

I am worried i am stopping the bolt.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 AM
AZ520
Instructor

If it has allen heads I use mini ratchet that takes allen bits, if it has hex bolts a 1/4 ratchet and cheater bar or cut off wrench. Its a real pain in ***.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Andrew Rediker
6th Gear

Thank you all for your help. It fired right up. I still think i need to set the gap better. When i give it too much gass it wants to kinda loose power for a second. but cruising it is working fine. What gas should i use?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 PM
AZ520
Instructor

91 ron or regular fuel, tune it up plugs wires fuel filter, etc, etc air filter, cap and rotor. Glad you got it running!
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (12-19-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Late 944 Speed and Reference Sensor Help!