944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Plasti Dip Porsche Phone Dial Wheel Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wet coats

No, my first black coat was about 75% coverage, a little more than what they recommend. I did allow the coats to dry about 12-15 mins. Between coats, but again they were wet.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 02:48 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Make sure you put plenty of it on with several coats. If it is not thick enough it is a MAJOR PITA to remove. I won't use it ever again.
@ Axbanks, I have not found this to be the case.. it came off very easiy.. if not, use some WD40 and it slides off.

@ GaPorsche, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I went to thin on Silver Metalizer coat. No big deal as it doesn't look bag from 2-3 feet away.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:58 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Default #AltVelo

I don't see my post from your last question about the wet coats. I posted it from my iphone and it shows there, but not on my laptop. Anyway, here it is again....

The initial black coats as follows, first coat was about 75% coverage which is a bit more than what they recommend. The following three coats of black were wet, but with 12-15mins between coats. The last two coats of the grey metalizer was as wet as I could do.

Ok, here are some pics with the wheels on the car, hope you like them. This is my MINT 84' 944 with only 54K miles, perfect paint and black leather interior, love this car. Drives like a dream, handles so well and nice tork.

thanks

-d
Attached Images       
Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM
AltVelo
Racer

GaPorsche, I see your post, it's post number 14.

It looks much darker in these last pics. Thanks for sharing. That confirms I went the right route for what I wanted.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. The wheels look great. Thinking of doing my entire car that way, but unsure if it's a good idea. But If I can get results like those wheels I may consider it.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AltVelo
@ Axbanks, I have not found this to be the case.. it came off very easiy.. if not, use some WD40 and it slides off.

@ GaPorsche, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I went to thin on Silver Metalizer coat. No big deal as it doesn't look bag from 2-3 feet away.
I had not heard about using WD40. I give that a try to remove some remaining plastidip on some s\pots of my car.

GaPorsche, The wheels look great. Are you going to mask the crests and do the center caps. I think your wheels would look a lot more finished if you did.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Originally Posted by azbanks
I had not heard about using WD40. I give that a try to remove some remaining plastidip on some s\pots of my car.

GaPorsche, The wheels look great. Are you going to mask the crests and do the center caps. I think your wheels would look a lot more finished if you did.
WD40 works very well.

About painting the crests, it's so easy with dip.. no need to mask.. just peel off the center and it separates perfectly.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Default Center caps

Yeah, I thought about the center caps being the same as the wheels, I even did them before the wheels. I may go back and do them, the wife like the silver contract with the darker wheels.

thanks

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip Porsche Phone Dial Wheel Project