944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Whats this 944 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:59 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Whats this 944 worth?

About 6 years ago I sold a 1984 Copenhagen Blue 944 with about 40K miles on the odo.
I had owned it for about five years, and I sold it for a 944S2 Cab that was almost as nice.

I just ran into the current owner of the car yesterday who is wanting to sell the car as he "never drives it".
It currently has about 56K miles and it sounds to be in similar shape as when I sold it.

The only notable option that it has is a Sunroof Delete.
I believe I was the third owner, and the current fellow is the 6th.
Never any accidents or bodywork when I owned it, and it sounds like it still needs its nose repainted due to bad rock chips which was the case when I owned it as well.
The rest of the paint and bodywork was extremely good, the interior was pristine (even smelled "new" at times), and the maintenance was thorough and ahead of schedule.

If the car is in similar, though older condition, what is everyone's current opinion of its value and desirability?

It probably has not been driven 1000 miles in the last two-three years which concerns me.
What kinds of things in particular should be checked out in light of this dis-use?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:06 AM
chadcorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to tell without a bit more info on it but I'd say maybe he could be asking around 5000. I don't know if the rarity of the color would bolster the price but I couldn't imagine it would by much. 5000 already might be a little more on the high side.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:25 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

The color does seem to be a bit rare, and it looks good on the car.
I think the real value though is that the car is very clean and no-stories.

I think I need to go look at it again and see what condition it really is in now.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

I did not end up pursuing this car at the time of my original post and fast forward a year and a half and this car is now for sale on Bring A Trailer.
NOTE, I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THE CAR OR THE SELLER, BAT, ETC.

Knowing I could have bought it in September of 2015 for $5-$6K kind of kills me as I suspect it may end up selling for twice that now.

The car sold shortly after my original post to a dealer who sold it to the current seller.
It will be an interesting auction to follow and might become a benchmark for current values.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spokayman seeing as you are in WA I know the market around here quite well since I have been buying and selling 944's for the past 7 years exclusively. The car does look nice hard to really judge the condition overall without seeing the interior. Since you know the car you can probably be sure that the milage is accurate otherwise the early cars could easily be 156k instead of 56K. Documenttaion is key on an early car. I would pull the battery and thoroughly inspect the battery tray. The color is actually quite common. People are asking stupid money for these cars now but I see a lot of them sit on CraigsList for months. In 2015 I was buying the early cars for 500 and selling them for 2 grand after I removed the Fuchs and replaced them with cookie cutters. today I would price that car between 2500 and 3500 just going off the pictures. If you are truly looking for a 944 stick with the later cars 85.5 and newer. I usually have one or 2 for sale as well as a ton of parts, PM me if interested.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:14 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffro951
The car does look nice hard to really judge the condition overall without seeing the interior. Since you know the car you can probably be sure that the milage is accurate otherwise the early cars could easily be 156k instead of 56K. Documenttaion is key on an early car. I would pull the battery and thoroughly inspect the battery tray. The color is actually quite common. People are asking stupid money for these cars now but I see a lot of them sit on CraigsList for months. In 2015 I was buying the early cars for 500 and selling them for 2 grand after I removed the Fuchs and replaced them with cookie cutters. today I would price that car between 2500 and 3500 just going off the pictures.
Yeah, it sold three weeks ago for $10,550 on BaT. Pretty high price in my mind, but I could vouch for the superb condition and actual mileage when I owned it in the mid-2000s.
I spoke to the specialty car dealer who sold it about a year and a half ago who said it was the nicest 944 he'd seen in many years, for what that's worth.
These days in a 944 I would be more interested in rare or ultra-low mileage examples.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that is an unbelievable price! I'm buying back one of my babies and I cant wait, I love this car...

Quick Reply: Whats this 944 worth?