944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

no start checklist

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 AM
dphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start checklist

As ive had my 944, its done more sitting than not. I have fully functioning dme, other than i have to unplug it or it keeps going eith car off. I had no spark before. But i replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil. It ran again a few days after changing stuff out. Turns over. Crank position sensor? Or what other thing might be next?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check for water in your fuel, in fact your fuel may be bad(turn to turpentine). And the crank/reference sensors. Also the fuel pump. Do you always have spark now? If so its not the sensors. Is you timing belt still intact?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:05 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine would not start because the wiring to the computer was loose.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That's right! The two wires coming off the battery terminal need to have a good connection. They are for the computer and distribution block. The car will still turn over with the big cable still attached to the battery but not start if the small ones are not. Also a good way to prime your engine after a rebuild. But if you have spark and fuel pulse (using a noid light) then it's not the connections.
Three things make the engine run:
compression(mechanical), air/fuel mix (mechanical,electrical), spark(mechanical,electrical).
If you have all three working then check your fuel. I found it hard to combust water without a super spark. And I haven't found a super spark yet.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
dphil
Intermediate

Hmm. Perhaps i need to tighten down on the terminal then. To make sure it doesnt kill the battery i unhook it and pull the dme.

I have spark, and fuel pressure heard on both ends. It had started fine the day before. It is very possible the gas is going bad, but why start day before and run ok if thats the case? Ill try to tighten the connection. I think its possible to be the crank sensor.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 PM
dphil
Intermediate

So where is the crank sensor? And is there a hole to perr at timing belt? I know there is a belt visible just above my distributor cap and rotor. Is that the timing or balance belt?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 PM
dphil
Intermediate

It thought about starting for a second then it drained the battery. So for the mean time got to wait. Jumper cables in the wifes car at work with her.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dphil
So for the mean time got to wait. Jumper cables in the wifes car at work with her.
Jump starting a 944...not the best idea. Your 30-yo DME may not take very kindly to that.

Better idea...remove battery and trickle charge [2A] over night.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So where is the crank sensor?
On the bell housing, drivers side, near the firewall, next to the RPM sensor.

I know there is a belt visible just above my distributor cap and rotor. Is that the timing or balance belt?
That's the cam timing belt.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no start checklist

My reference sensor failed out of the blue a month ago. Easy to troubleshoot it and the rpm sensor. Disconnect them and check the resistance with a multimeter, should be between 600-1600 ohms. If your showing an open circuit, they're bad. It's all on Clarks garage website.
Although, if your battery is dying you might have another issue, or you just need a new battery.

Quick Reply: no start checklist