944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New member in need of help: Mystery clunck

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 PM
thetraynor0216
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member in need of help: Mystery clunck

So the car has this knocking noise that comes from the front that starts immediately from a stop when i accelerate and when i let off the throttle, when i push the clutch in it goes away, when i hold the throttle steady to maintain rpms it goes away as well. The reason im starting a new thread is because everywhere ive read people say it comes from the rear, or say nothing about it making the noise when the release the throttle. Im a fairly shallow pocketed college student so if any one knows of any cheap fixes that would be preferred, but if it cant be that way then so be it. If there is any more info i can give to make the "online diagnosis" go smoother i am happy to oblige.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM
944hal
Pro

Does it knock when you put it in neutral and let the clutch out at an idle, or increasing or decreasing the RPM in neutral? Trying to determine if it's clutch or drive line related. In neutral, everything is turning over back to the transmission.

BTW....what model and year 944 do you have?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:31 PM
thetraynor0216
7th Gear

84 with 100k, sorry should've thought of that.

It makes the noise only when I'm in gear and it gets quicker with higher rpms. But I can't really hear it past 3k because I've removed the exhaust past the cat for more loud.

If I'm rolling, and I depress the clutch it goes away, and once I release it, it comes back
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 PM
944hal
Pro

Try what I suggested, or did you?. Sit still, put it in neutral and let the clutch out. Does is still make the noise? Try to rev the engine in neutral and see if it still makes the noise. If not, it's not the drive line. It could be a bad half shaft universal on one of the rear axles. Process of elimination.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like dead clutch disc to me?
Old 08-08-2015, 01:10 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

my first guess would be the clutch - have you checked the clearance on the throwout fork as shown in the manual? I would not drive the car very far with a clutch that is hitting the stops - if you have the rubber centered clutch, that is the sound you get when the rubber fails.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to say it's the torque tube bearings, wait we're looking for a clunk... Hmmm... Have you checked any of your suspention? My rear trailing arm has some modified bolt all the way thru it(someone messed up the threads, not my work!) and it clunks when it gets loose. Or bad bushings on the sway bars. Let me tell you what, you want it to be a suspention part!!! not the clutch that has 100k on it that most likely needs to be changed along with the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. However if it's the clutch and your going to collage then drive it till it stops like all the other collage students that can't afford to fix a semi really expensive car. You should get a bicycle like all the other collage kids. Use your brain with all that $ your spending on it. Then make the $ and then fix the Porsche. Or get a better one
I have two, a 86 944 and 87 951 track car. And I've come to realize PORSCHE stands for "poor old retard should cut his expenses". I don't use my brains well!
See what I had made for myself...

This is Porsche is acronym

And when was the last transmission fluid change on this 84 of yours? I hope not never. Also check your CV axles, went bad on both of mine. Lots of things to check, just get under the car and start looking. You may want to pressure wash the oil off the underside before checking like I do before going under...hope you figure it out.

Quick Reply: New member in need of help: Mystery clunck