Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What do I doooooooo - quick rebuild or save for an LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM
pcleary1210
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do I doooooooo - quick rebuild or save for an LS?

Hi Guys,

Here's the scoop on my 944s and I need your honest opinions-

I got the car for $700 late last year. Odometer stopped working at 130k or so (doesn't have more than 150k or so). It had horrible vacuum leaks, the clutch barely worked, it was pretty rough, but the body was clean and motor and tranny actually sounded great.

Here's what I've done so far:
AOS Seals
Timing Chain pads (teeth looked good)
Spark Plugs
Intake Manifold Seal
Rebuild TB
New Vacuum lines
Injector seals (injectors looked good, too)
Master/Slave cylinders

Still gutless but ran much smoother. So I did a compression test. 120-120-105-120. A far cry from the high compression motor it's supposed to be.

Now I'm at a crossroads. My goal was to get this thing going for a couple years and do an LSx swap, but a factory motor with an S2 intake and chip would also be just fine. I want reliability, I just don't know how long to expect the motor to last. My E30 is at 231k with just maintenance.

What do I do?

Did the timing belt jump a tooth and maybe there's crap on one of the valves?

If that's not the case, is it worth pulling the motor and doing set of rings? Rings and bearings?

Beyond that, some parts are so crazy expensive that I might as well save for a v8. A water pump is the better part of $500, a timing belt will put me back around $350, t-belt tensioner is probably the same.

What do you guys think?

-PC
Old 03-03-2015, 10:59 PM
NotTheStig
Advanced

I know Rock Auto is generally frowned upon, but check out their prices for the stuff you need. Pretty much all of the parts on there is the same you can get at other stores, except much cheaper. I'm really not sure that an LS swap in its entirety would be that much cheaper. But that's just my $.02
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are not looking in the right places.
A rebuilt water pump from Zims (www.allzim.com) is just over $100.
They also have a timing belt kit with all rollers, including the one for the tensioner for less than $200.

Your V8 swap would likely end up in the $10k range.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can do the work yourself, a basic rebuild will typically be cheaper. OTOH, If you are going to pay a really good shop to do all the rebuild work, you might be able to pull off a budget swap for around the same money.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

how fast do you want to go? how far do you want to go?

best outcome: (in theory); v8, predictable higher than you thought entrance fee,
eventually leading to a solid, reliable, fast car and happiness ever after.

(in reality); a lot of seemingly endless sorting, over the course of many months, followed by nirvana.

944 n/a outcome: thirsting for more power and making the big move (to a 944T)....

944T outcome: fun car, daily soap-opera requiring a dedicated plan, maintenance $$$ and occasional to significant time off the road
tinkering with a host of issues... next; overconfidence sets in: the tuning stage, endlessly wanting more until you are satisfied....
(which of course, rarely actually occurs). from there it's a slippery slope to divorce, homelessness or death. a very real, possibility
when only a few months (or years) before this seemingly impossible outcome would have been brushed off as a seemingly impossible
outcome:

sad endings are nothing to scoff at with the 944T. bad things, real-life horror stories, and destroyed lives really does happen....

(moment of silence for the scores of astronauts who came before, only to die on the launch pads).

neutral outcome? ending up on the 986/987 forums.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-13-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

that was entertaining to read.

however i do agree with an add on…how fast do you want to go, hows your patience level (time to get things right), and how much money do you have?

1&2 are co-dependent.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by pcleary1210
Still gutless but ran much smoother. So I did a compression test. 120-120-105-120. A far cry from the high compression motor it's supposed to be.

What do I do?

Did the timing belt jump a tooth and maybe there's crap on one of the valves?

If that's not the case, is it worth pulling the motor and doing set of rings? Rings and bearings?

Beyond that, some parts are so crazy expensive that I might as well save for a v8. A water pump is the better part of $500, a timing belt will put me back around $350, t-belt tensioner is probably the same.

What do you guys think?

-PC
the engine shouldn't need rings and bearings till 200k if its been kept up with oil changes and not overheated, or unless youve already got the engine apart.

you probably have a mis-timed belt or even the cams are mis-timed to eachother. but the 944S does feel fairly gutless until 4000rpm no matter what.

you are looking in the wrong places for parts - i just bought a timing belt/balance belt kit off pelicanparts (including rollers and tensioners) for $210 (gates belts + INA pulleys). water pump is $100 for a rebuilt piece from zims.. changing the timing belt is about a 2-3 hour endeavour, changing the water pump adds another 4 or so mostly due to cleaning parts.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:54 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Originally Posted by odurandina

best outcome: (in theory); v8, predictable higher than you thought entrance fee,

(in reality); a lot of seemingly endless sorting, over the course of many months, followed by nirvana.

944 n/a outcome: thirsting for more power and making the big move (to a 944T)....

944T outcome: fun car, daily soap-opera requiring a dedicated plan, maintenance $$$ and occasional to significant time off the road
tinkering with a host of issues... next; overconfidence sets in: the tuning stage, endlessly wanting more until you are satisfied....
(which of course, rarely actually occurs). from there it's a slippery slope to divorce, homelessness or death. a very real, possibility
when only a few months (or years) before this seemingly impossible outcome would have been brushed off as a seemingly impossible
outcome:

sad endings are nothing to scoff at with the 944T. bad things, real-life horror stories, and destroyed lives really does happen....

(moment of silence for the scores of astronauts who came before, only to die on the launch pads).

Don't forget the fires. The fires will get you.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately a $700 944 is probably going to need fair amount of work. Hopefully you are able to wrench and do majority of work.

outcome:

Odurandina for president!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

would love to see this thread moved to the 944T forum.....
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odu..... too funny.... But the truth is funny sometimes...other times it just hurts....
Old 05-25-2015, 10:49 AM
exe30
Intermediate

tinkering with a host of issues
I just picked up a 951 with $4500 worth of receipts so I'm really hoping the PO took care of most of the soap opera.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

what did he end up doing?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question would be how much are you willing or able to enjoy the journey compared to the outcome? If the latter beats out the former, then let that guide your decision.

Quick Reply: What do I doooooooo - quick rebuild or save for an LS?