Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Type 1 with 968 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type 1 with 968 suspension

Hi,

I am considering putting all suspension parts, brakes, ABS, engine and transmission from my 968 into a 944 Type 1 body shell to go racing in a series where contact will happen every race if you want to win (and I do).

I have a 968 with 3-way race suspension, Racer's Edge control arms, all solid bushings, no torsion bars, etc. It also has 996 GT3 Mk1 front brakes, a 5/45 bias valve etc. The transmission is "new" with a Guard Transmission GT3 differential. I will transfer the carbon fiber race seat, plastic rear hatch, lightweight battery, etc. from the 968 to the 944.1. Everything has been race tested and works nicely together.

I cannot afford to wreck the 968, and have the option to save a 944.1 that is sitting in a shed without interior, dashboard, etc. and isn't exactly in great shape.

Will this be a bolt-on swap like I think (save the ABS pump bracket) and just take a lot of wrenching, or am I overlooking something expensive/work intensive?

The 968 will be returned to stock with another used transmission and suspension and brake parts I have laying around.

I do not live in the US at the moment, so no worries about the rules and regulations.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need to steal the electronics and harness from your 968 to do it, but outside of that if your taking everything, you can do it. You'll need to take everything from the engine back (, exhaust,torque tube, transaxle, cv axles) and then get it all in. You don't really need the ABS unless you want it. the master cyl is the same from the 944.1 up the the 968 except for the abs port.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, much appreciated.

The owner sent me the VIN (I haven't seen the car yet), it turns out to be an '87 - so Type 2, not Type 1. Would it matter though?

Quick Reply: Type 1 with 968 suspension