944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

steering wheel wires - no horn or blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:11 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering wheel wires - no horn or blinkers

i think i need to rebuild some of the connections in my steering wheel hub and looking to figure out a gear list before going to work on it at a friends.

i had a crinkling sound come from turning the wheel and at one point i saw a wire come from the gap between the wheel and the hub. then the crinkling sound stopped

the result - no horn, and when i depress the turn signal, the light comes on but it doesnt blink

just so i can be prepared when i take the wheel off, any guess on what parts would i expect to need to replace by the sound of this?

my wheel is the 4-point type like this

it's in an 87 924S

thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the horn & signal fuses as well as verify if any of the bulbs are burnt out/inop?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:44 AM
jbob
Racer

no not yet - good thought.

seeing the wire coming out made me think at least something is not connected as it should be/once was.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Yeah wires sticking out between the hub/wheel would be a clue that something is not right. Let us know what you find out and be sure to post some pictures as you check things out.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed pull the wheel...does not take long and have a look at what is out of place...but check the fuses as one may have blown if a wire grounded.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM
jbob
Racer

took wheel off

found the metal contact on the wheel part was broken off.

also the contact is broken on the (console? not sure what this part is called - the housing that holds the signal and wiper levers)

while digging into this - my friend was pulling on center piece and a plastic sounding crack was heard on the center *console* piece - and when put back together the brights action is a little weird feeling. wondering about replacing whole thing.

-looking to figure out what parts I need
- also is it most likely that its a fuse that makes the turn signals blink? right now the turn level just turns on the turn lights, no blinking. the hazard still causes blinking.

thanks a bunch

Old 10-20-2014, 05:05 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Did you fix it?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 PM
jbob
Racer

i'm trying to figure out what parts i need.

I'm not sure what to call that piece of contact metal thats on the wheel that broke off. I think I also need to replace the contact piece on the console side, but think i might need to replace the whole blinker piece because i heard a plastic crack sound when my friend was trying to pull it out.

for the blinkers not to work - which is the fuse that controls that? I am not really sure how to check it either.

thanks for any knowledge you guys can throw my way. electrical and this particular issue is an area i am pretty new to. thanks!

Quick Reply: steering wheel wires - no horn or blinkers