944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

'91 S2 AC is spitting at me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 AM
MacinTek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 S2 AC is spitting at me...

Got in the car this afternoon, turned on the ac (90 degrees in SoCal) and cold water (condensation) spat out the center vents. What's up thigh that? What do I need to replace/unclog?

I've gotten advice to find a small drain hose under the passenger footwell, but, I don't see anything like that under there... just frame rails, heat shielding, a clutch bell housing and this big thing that looks suspiciously like an engine.

Pix attached are (1) the diagram form PET showing the drain hose, (2) the passenger footwell (wet, not coolant, water/condensation) and (3) the North flowing river of Fallbrook, CA.

Last edited by MacinTek; 06-17-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

I've got the exact same symptom on my '90 S2 Cab. I studied the area and without taking it apart, it does look like a pool of condensation is not draining. I think the key is finding that hose and clearing it.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me as well. Go ahead and order a drain tube from Sunset - mine came apart when I removed it, and be prepared for lots of water to come out of the evaporator.

I just slid the console back a few inches, and it was easy to access from the passenger side
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Thanks for the tip Jim, saves me trying to figure that out.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Actually, if you remove the cubby under the radio and the radio itself, move the wires out of the way, you'll see the tube right in front of you. Mine was clogged with guck and stuff. I pulled if off the tunnel and squished it a couple of times and, when water started to escape, I plugged it back in. It dumped about a gallon of water on the floor of my garage. All fixed now.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
kyle944
Advanced

My '87 944 NA did the same thing on the way back from a car show. When I put it on the lift to install the new exhaust system, it dumped a considerable amount of water on the ground.... but then it started to overheat. My mechanic says the problem is a failing water pump. Could that really be the problem or could it be a simple repair like yours?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Well, that is concerning to me for another reason. On my 91 cab, I have water temp problem in that it tends to overheat after about 10 minutes of running. The timing chain and water pump was replaced about 10K ago but it has also been about 8 years. I realize time is just as bad as mileage. Now I'm concerned it could be a failing water pump which leads me to a question...if the water pump fails, it won't impact the engine in the same way a failed timing chain would right? In either scenario, both would need to be replaced but the damage is limited to the water pump and not the heads I hope.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
MacinTek
Racer

It's always a good idea to replace the timing and balance shaft belts while it's all apart anyway. If you plan on doing it yourself, allow plenty of time, do it methodically and carefully. Remove the fans and shroud and the radiator to allow the best access to those long, skinny bolts that secure the water pump. If you're not comfortable with playing with timing belts and tensioning, better pay someone to do it for you.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

I'm contemplating changing the belts myself. It's the most identified problem with 944's. I have the time and facility. I'm sure I should search this forum for instructions but if anyone has a quick link, I would certainly welcome it. Once I study what's required, I'll make a final go/no go.

Quick Reply: '91 S2 AC is spitting at me...