944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Suggested Mods for 944 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 PM
b00st
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested Mods for 944 n/a

I was given a 1984 944 n/a as a gift more or less (father owns a shop; gained the title.) Before that I drove an '01 Integra and currently an '88 Ranger. Obviously, this... Is a completely new thing for me.

I want to know... Originally I was going to turbocharge or supercharge, but I feel like doing so would murder the car, and a waste of money, so I'm stepping away from that. I'm more interested in just improving the driving experience, speed, and/or general performance. I want it to ride well and to sound nice and loud (but in a good way.) It's gonna have to fit in enough with my ricer friends. (;

Been reading many posts on here for a while. I've basically gathered air filters, tires, new exhaust, and a performance chip are all my best bets? What are some solid recommendations for these things?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good short shift kit and a weltmeister throttle cam will make the car feel more fun. There's not much to really significantly increase power so suspension and tires will be your best bet for increasing performance.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to rennlist! What kind of condition is the car in? Do you know much about its service history? What options does it have? Got pics?

I don't look at them as power mods (cos for an n/a you'd be throwing money at it for not much gain) but efficiency mods. Chips and maf don't net big power but the drive-ability is day vs night.

I have Russells 944MAX chip which is one of the best mods i've done for my n/a. beforehand the car felt asthmatic in comparison and my car is a RoW 163hp model. I don't think it actually beats taking your car to a dyno and getting a chip flashed specifically for your car though. FRwilks also has a lot of chip options but IIRC chipping will require that you change your DME and your AFM to the late 944 ones.

Thats where the MAF comes in. If you have to update the AFM to a later one you might as well get a late DME, a MAF + matching chipset. Miller seem to be the only outfit that offers a MAF kit for less than US$800 http://millerperformancecars.com/ind...mart&Itemid=30
For the off-the-shelf plug & play upgrades, this miller maf has been on my hitlist for a while.

Rennlister Rogue_ant offers some really good engine management options also.

The other mods that have transformed my car has been turbo swaybars front and rear, SS braided brakelines and wheels/ tyres. I only had a 20mm front sway and no rear sway as standard. I changed this to a 26.8mm bar up front and an 18mm rear. the handling went from a 6/10 to a 9/10 in my books! The braided lines just gave better brake feel and I changed my wheels from phonedials to 930 fuchs from my old 924 turbo. These were wider and had much better rubber on them which gave me more confidence in the wet the next time I took it to the track.

IMHO forced induction on an N/A takes serious committment and I believe if you can't make it look like, perform or last like a factory turbo then you might as well get a turbo.

I prefer the idea of transplanting an S2 or 968 engine, drivetrain, suspension and brakes into a base model 944 than going s/c or turbo.

Do an advanced search on the forum. Many people inquire about s/c or turboing their n/a but it's like 15% start it and 2% finish it lol! Same for making their own MAF setups.

Airfilters are a grey area. I wouldn't go to a pod. At the most, I'd use a K&N panel filter that fits into my stock airbox. I don't have a cat converter as stock but some of the north americans say gutting it or replacing it makes a noticeable difference.

Have a look at this thread on short shift kits: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...hift-kits.html
if i was in the US i would take advantage of being able to buy one from xschop.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 09-13-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, without major work and money there is no additional power to be found.

Basically focus on Handling... Koni or Bilstein shocks are great, Stiffer Springs, You likely don't have a Rear Sway Bar - this is a fun improvement which will give you more over steer.
And Exhaust makes it sound like your faster!! I just install and Dansk Exhaust last night, and like it very much. Fairly Stock at Idle, and when Cruising... But it has a Sick Sounding Growl whenever you accelerate!! The Stainless is Beautiful, and the cost is like $300 which is fairly inexpensive!

As for looks, Boxster or 911 rims can be fitted though you'll need spacers. Not a big deal, and these rims are all over the place for $400 with tires on Craigslist!

At the end of the day, if your Tuner Buddies give you ****, just remember your car is an actual race car... and more importantly its Rear Wheel Drive!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Congrats on the car. I work at a Porsche performance shop in NJ and I have had a 1984 944 for years. Great car, I actually built my car into an all out track car and at this point I have moved into a different car and will be parting this one out. I have done lots of R&D on the car and I have a ton of good parts for you. I will give you a short list of parts I have that I think you would be very interested in.

Performance camshaft
Performance header (best header on the market)
Custom made exhaust system (no cat but I had installed a resonator in its place so it looks like a cat) and straight through muffler.

If you are looking for anything in particular let me know and I will be able to answer your question. As of right now everything is still on the car so if you wanted anything then I would just need to take it apart (So it may take a few days before I have the parts ready for you).

Best way to get in touch with me would be to e-mail me jake@pwr-tech.com
Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 AM
swordfish919
1st Gear

I'm looking to put a new exhaust on my 85 (early) 944, and I was wondering what muffler I should use to get a louder and deeper sound without sounding like a piece of **** honda. I was looking at getting an exhaust from Lindsey Racing, but the shop I used to work at does a lot of custom exhausts and will probably charge me less than $300 to do so. Should I stick with a 2.5 inch set up or go to a 3 inch system? I'm thinking about getting a cherry bomb pro muffler since it's about $50 from summit racing, but I'm not sure if it would sound nice on a 4 cylinder. Low cost is my primary concern, and I noticed glass packs are relatively cheap (~$25), but once again I'm looking for a more refined sound and not lots of noise. I guess what I really want to know is will an exhaust that sounds awesome on a small block chevy have a similar effect on my 2.5 liter 8 valve motor? Does anyone have muffler suggestions that won't break the bank?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Swordfish: From what I understand, for a stock n/a engine to go to 3inches is not going to provide enough backpressure, and as such will make your engine run at less than prime conditions. I've often wondered if 2.75 inches might provide the exhaust note *and* flow we are looking for or if I should just stay stock and maybe get a new cat (I'm still stock)

B00st: Congrats man! These are awesome cars and are among the best handling cars around. That being said, if you can get your engine to a reliable place, then just like everyone said: efficiency mods. suspension, tires, and brakes are going to make the car really amazing. I"m still working on my list of things I need, but every time I install something to make my handling nicer, I can feel it make the rest of the car better as well. Good luck on your journey, and Everyone is here when you need help. (Ask me how I know. . .lol)

Quick Reply: Suggested Mods for 944 n/a