Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Help!! Coolant Pipe bursting for the 3rd time!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Nehme Gedeon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Coolant Pipe bursting for the 3rd time!!

Hi,

recently fixed a leak in the radiator, that i thought was the cause of the car's temperature being high all the time. after welding the radiator, and while driving the car with AC off, the temperature gauge went all the way to red, when i stopped the car a river of coolant spilled on the floor.

replaced what we thought was an old and cracked coolant hose, only for a brand new one to burst again. tested a third hose which also burst.

so now i'm sure there's excessive pressure/air seaping into the cooling system, the coolant cap seems fine, doubt that it's the problem, the mechanic is saying it's most probably the head gasket... i'm not sure about that because there is no trace of coolant in the oil, nor white smoke coming from the exhaust...

any suggestions, i don't want to pay the mechanic lots of money only to find out it had nothing to do with the head gasket!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if the Coolant is getting the pressurized; it should come out the back of the Expansion tank first. The cap is built to release coolant after 15psi.

Which hose is exploding?

When you had the radiator out of the car, did you run water through it to check if it is clogged?

When you installed the new Radiator/Fluid did you purge all the air out of the system? Air causes higher temps, expands with heat, and could cause your hose to burst...

Possible your Thermostat is not opening also... (To check: with the car running, as the temp rises past the middle, the lower radiator hose should get hot)

Head Gasket Leak Can and Will put Combustion gases into the Cooling system. There are tests that can be performed before replacing the headgasket; Leak Down Test; and the Coolant can be tested for Combustion Gases.

Hope this helps. Be sure to follow up on this topic.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Nehme Gedeon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the mechanic investigate further and he found that there is CO in the cooling system which means that pressure from the combustion chambers is going to the coolant causing over-pressure, loosing coolant and then overheating.

i guess a cylinder head gasket change is due....

thanks for your reply PNBell.

Quick Reply: Help!! Coolant Pipe bursting for the 3rd time!!