Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New owner of 944, needs more power, help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
L4ugh1ngM4n
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 944, needs more power, help?

Hi, as this is my first post please forgive me if its in the wrong section. I hope to soon aquire a 1985.5 944. It comes with a stock 2.5l N/A engine but I want to swap in something with more power. So my question to you guys is: What kind of engines will swap in without too much headache? I know there is a 2.5 turbo and I was thinking about that, and also a 2.7 (Is there a turbo model of the 2.7?) Theres also rebuilding the engine It already has for turbo application. Anything else I'm missing? Im lost, this will be my first porsche and I'm used to working on hondas.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want boost then you are best off buying a Turbo car. Any engine swap is going to require extensive custom fabrication. Not to mention hours of adapting the existing electrical harness to whatever donor car management system goes with the motor.
Nothing is going to just easily bolt in, adding significant power is never cheap or easy unless it is a factory turbo car.
If you must have strait line performance with what you have then buy a good wet nitrous kit and a wide band.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

If you want more power, then buy a more powerful car. Unless you are doing it for your own entertainment and you have cubic dollars to spend. You will end up spending more in the long run and end up with less hair.

Since you do not have the car yet, what makes you think you need more power? The rule of thumb is learn to drive what you have first before you start making whole sale changes. If you want a drag car then buy a drag car. if you want a drivers car then buy the Porsche. Horsepower is just one factor. Just look at the Lotus. It has only 189hp but would you say it is not a great sports car and a great track weapon?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything can be done, it's just a matter of how much work and money you're willing to put out.
Any of the 944/968 engines can be swapped between platforms with little or no fabrication. The problem you run into is that much of their support equipment also needs to be swapped. (i.e.: harnesses, computer, exhaust etc...) This gets expensive really quickly as most of these items cannot be changed from one engine to another.

There are occasions when a swap makes perfect sense. Normally, buying an 85.5 N/A to put a turbo motor into it, isn't one of them.

When all is said and done, it's cheaper and more reliable to just buy the more expensive car with the engine you want than to perform the swap.

My advise would be to either buy the 85.5 you're looking at, leave it the way it is and drive the sh-t out of it. Or, buy a model with the engine you want and drive the sh-t out of it.

On many occasions, I've contemplated buying a N/A 944 that I can have fun driving and not worry about getting myself into trouble too quickly. This is coming from someone who drives a 944T with a turbo'd 16valve 968 engine.

Oh, and the 2.7 engine was N/A only.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Ghostcloak
Advanced

If you are up for it, you could always swap in a Chevy V8. I myself have an LT1 in my 944 and thoroughly enjoy it. If you want pre-fab. parts, talk to Renegade Hybrids in CA or Mike Gookey (sp?) in Florida.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 PM
bmf944
Advanced

just remember that everything that applys to japenese cars is definetely out the window with these cars. i have owned 16 mazda rx-7's fb-fc-fd's and i will tell you that the 944 is a total different machine. but never the less one to be desired, they are classy and made with great quality.

Quick Reply: New owner of 944, needs more power, help?