Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

gas smell - coming from fuel filling area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas smell - coming from fuel filling area?

Hi all,
I have read the many posts on various fuel odor issues and and here is my situation on my 1983 944.

There is a fuel smell in the garage when the car is at rest. There is no fuel odor inside the cabin. I have checked the entire fuel path and have found not a trace of a leak . This includes checking the fuel rail system and fuel lines in the engine bay. There is no fuel odor whatsoever under the hood. I have also checked from under the car and there is no sign of fuel on the tank or any other lines to or from the tank. An inspection of the fuel lines in the fuel filler area from inside of the hatch area revealed no sign of odor or fuel pooling.

I smell a strong odor of fuel when I smell the closed fuel door. I noticed that the mouth of the fuel filler is not perfectly round and has a U shaped "lip" at the bottom. It does appear worn in that area but is this the natural shape or is it bent from the PO pressing down too hard on the pump handle while filling? The rubber gasket on the cap is in perfect condition but judging by the shape of the filler mouth it seems to me that fumes would be allowed to escape. Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a stereo installer mount an amp in the hatch & peirced the plastic gas tank with a sheetrock screw. Expensive repair.

Originally Posted by dhansen
Hi all,
I have read the many posts on various fuel odor issues and and here is my situation on my 1983 944.

There is a fuel smell in the garage when the car is at rest. There is no fuel odor inside the cabin. I have checked the entire fuel path and have found not a trace of a leak . This includes checking the fuel rail system and fuel lines in the engine bay. There is no fuel odor whatsoever under the hood. I have also checked from under the car and there is no sign of fuel on the tank or any other lines to or from the tank. An inspection of the fuel lines in the fuel filler area from inside of the hatch area revealed no sign of odor or fuel pooling.

I smell a strong odor of fuel when I smell the closed fuel door. I noticed that the mouth of the fuel filler is not perfectly round and has a U shaped "lip" at the bottom. It does appear worn in that area but is this the natural shape or is it bent from the PO pressing down too hard on the pump handle while filling? The rubber gasket on the cap is in perfect condition but judging by the shape of the filler mouth it seems to me that fumes would be allowed to escape. Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink white 968

THAT IS ONE FINE LOOKING CAR MY FRIEND!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are some small hoses that go to the carbon canister and are part of the venting system - I've seen them crack. you may want to lift the cover (inside) over the hoses and see if you can see anything inside. It isn't all that hard to change the fill port either, if it is worn.

Quick Reply: gas smell - coming from fuel filling area?