Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:23 PM
57charley
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1933beer
How long had the car sat? if you don't have records I would do belts, rollers, waterpump, oil cooler seals, cam pads all before running the car. how many miles on the car?
I think it had only 2,000 miles put on it since last owner bought it in 2016, battery is from 2018, it has 100,000 miles on it, also has a leaking gas tank, needs top and tires, I think I will do all the above along with oil pan gasket, engine mounts and maybe bearings. Who has parts they don't need?

Changed the heat control valve today, looked hard at first, but not bad after moving ps reservoir.

Last edited by 57charley; 05-20-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My introduction to this thread is my latest project, a 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet, Baltic Blue with blue pinstripe interior.
I bought the car from US as a roller (without engine, trans, brakes, front fenders, hood, nose, lights, bumper) and it went to bodyshop immediately where it lost the rear side markers and 3rd brake light and when returning from bodyshop it had proper euro front bumper, lights etc. Also OEM Aero mirrors.
Drivetrain, brakes and suspension came from 104k mile UK '89 S2 which has horrible rust issues due to PO letting it sit in the garden (ouch). UK 944's have rust issues even without that, no idea why someone would let a car rot away like that. But I got it cheap and everything worked perfectly.
I have always wanted S2 cab and while I have owned few S2's before I have never owned a cab until now. So happy!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:58 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats and great color!
Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Yesterday took it for last drive this season, gave it a wash and stored it for winter in my country house which is currently under huge renovation. Goes there together with my '83 924 with 2.6liter 16v turbo.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:51 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
My introduction to this thread is my latest project, a 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet, Baltic Blue with blue pinstripe interior.
I bought the car from US as a roller (without engine, trans, brakes, front fenders, hood, nose, lights, bumper) and it went to bodyshop immediately where it lost the rear side markers and 3rd brake light and when returning from bodyshop it had proper euro front bumper, lights etc. Also OEM Aero mirrors.
Drivetrain, brakes and suspension came from 104k mile UK '89 S2 which has horrible rust issues due to PO letting it sit in the garden (ouch). UK 944's have rust issues even without that, no idea why someone would let a car rot away like that. But I got it cheap and everything worked perfectly.
I have always wanted S2 cab and while I have owned few S2's before I have never owned a cab until now. So happy!
Very pretty, would like to see more pictures.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:43 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I like the 968 mirrors as well. I am not normally a fan of post dating, but they look particularly good on the Cabrio. I have a friend who has a '91 Cabrio (red) in Vilnius. My guess is these are pretty rare in the Baltics! He exported his back from the US into Lithuania and then had to run through the entire registration/compliance process. This included installing side markers, and front lights/driving lights all with proper logos certifying compliance. It was shockingly expensive and troublesome!
Old 11-02-2021, 03:03 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

There is two 968 cabs in Estonia and several years ago there was one light blue S2 cab here too but it was sold to Finland (Olli Snellman knows about this car).
At the moment my '90 S2 cab is most likely only S2 cab over here, there should be several total in Baltic states total.
I did not have any probems getting my cab registered, just one time fee for registration, total of hour for scrutiny and paperwork and done.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:05 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

Installed 968 Turbo RS front upper strut mounts. 9productsamerica.com

They don't have an indent for the spring hats, so the front of the car was raised slightly. I tried to live with it, but I couldn't so I removed my H&R 968 lowering springs I've had for decades and replaced them with the Koni Front Coilover Kit with 200# springs from Paragon. After installing them, the car still didn't sit as low as the H&Rs so I had to grind off the lower spring perches all the way down to the weld point. That allowed the threaded sleeves to slide down far enough so the lower perch/collar could go to it's lowest point. Now she's sitting where I want her.

All of this was to chase down a random knock that I would hear with the steering wheel at full lock and shifting the weight of the car either by pulling off or going in/out of a driveway. Over time, I had replaced all of the bushings with polys and new ball joints, so the upper strut mounts were the last original part. I'm not sure, but I think I heard it knock the other day. . Oh well, at least I have some great new parts!

Got some new tires too. Continental ExtremeContact Sports. 225/40/18. 275/35/18. She barely made it up onto the alignment rack. lol

Next up, rear Koni coilovers to help out the rear torsion bars. I've always gotten tire rub with the 275's under heavy acceleration with a full tank or carrying a passengers. The rear kit should help out with the squatting. THEN, its time for a engine rebuild.

Anybody looking for some progressive rate front lowering springs?

Last edited by culture; 11-21-2021 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ElRicardo (04-08-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:00 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

new milestone

Old 04-08-2022, 11:41 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I do love the ROW look without the side markers! So envious! Did you import?
Old 04-12-2022, 09:41 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I felt the same way! So I bought ROW bumpers and had a body shop fill the rear side marker when i got the car painted.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:41 PM
fiddlythings
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Today

Got IR/UV windshield film and window tint installed, replaced the armrest with a nice tray from Atlanta auto, tightened the passenger wiper arm when it stopped moving in the rain (boo), replaced the door speakers, ordered an AC relay, pondered the purpose of that huge space in the trunk by the wheelwell, and glared at the nearly useless cigar lighter. Oh and I talked to a pro audio shop about some options for the rear speakers and a custom sub enclosure. The stock 4 speaker system is just plain weak.

I really should go through the roof troubleshooting guide, it doesn’t close as much as it used to and definitely isn’t close to making contact. Also my shifter makes a lovely soft rattle now, probably need to do that upgrade kit soon.
mhr (05-11-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 12:45 AM
fiddlythings
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1: DROVE IT. Drove it 50 mi today going absolutely nowhere, just enjoying it with the top down. Drove some wonderful hilly and windy roads near my house, took those to get to some even better roads further away, then drove home a different route. What a fantastic driving experience, no matter if it's 30 years or 30 days old! I've driven lots of cars, many of them considered 'enthusiast' cars, and I have more than a few cars at any given time. This is among the best, and probably the top value. A 1st gen/NA Miata is a steal when it comes to smiles per dollar, but a 944 Cab is everything you love about it and then some.

#2: Installed a passenger floorboard cupholder, disassembled a spare bridge module to get DRL going, replaced the broken glove box supports with steel ones, replaced the dome bulb and fixed a door switch, contemplated under-dash dim footwell lighting like modern cars have.
culture (05-23-2023)

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?