Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine unlocks but I have to lift it up.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm I dont have a release button, although the trunk lock mechanism has a solenoid release activated by the key(89 model) is the button on the center console?
thanks
mike
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's in the Driver footwell on the left
Old 04-22-2016, 12:42 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

prob on the right for cars like mike's (rhd).
Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM
EliteThink
Pro

mirrors look pretty good.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

amazing I have a remote release after all these years I have never used it - thanks folks
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

That's what we're here for. Keeping the feeling new. 😊
Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 AM
Alaska Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Well last three weeks have seen a few items replaced:
1) New wheel bearings all the way around
2) New brake pads all the way around
3) New brake rotors all the way around
4) Bled brakes/clutch cylinders and replaced all of the brake fluid with new
5) Changed the motor oil and filter to Mobil 1 10W30 (old filter was a NAPA-piece of junk, replaced with Mahle).
6) New air filter (what a joy to replace), old one looked like it was the original from the factory-carfax does not show any changes.
7) New spark plugs
8) New plug wires
9) New distributor/rotor
10) New fuel filter (old was full of rust! what the?) Guess it make sense to pull fuel pump and tank strainer to see if strainer is culprit.

After replacing the brakes/rotors and wheel bearings was driving home from work and the car began to run really rough, no power. Hoping that the new fuel filter wasn't plugged with rust.... After messing with a couple things under the hood found a loose spark plug, was able to tighten it using the tool kit in the trunk. By then it had some time to cool down, tried to start it again.

It ran well enough to get me home.

Once home found out, after reading here, about the DME fuel pump relay. Grabbed it and brought down to my hobby table. Pulled the cover and was amazed at how crappy the solder connections were. One wire and relay looked liked they had been getting rather hot; braided wire was discolored and plastic wrap around wire on the top relay was blistered.

Re-soldered the bad solder joints and re-installed the DME relay. Took for a test drive and found out the car ran faster than before. Instead of quitting at 5000 RPM, it pulled all the way to 6000+. Engine used to have a noticeable vibration, after fixing relay that went away.

Probably bad from the factory. Bought two new replacement relays.

One is a solid state from Force 9, the other was the Euroasia similar to the OEM. Pulled both plastic covers to look at solder connections. The Euroasia had just as bad of a solder job as the OEM. Re-did all of the bad solder connections again, will drive it a week with this one to verify it works, then it will be used as a spare, once Force 9 is installed.

To see photos of the bad DME and new ones, started a thread about the issue in this forum titled "944 S2 Cabriolet Stutter/Power Loss".

Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 PM
1933beer
Instructor

Mike
I have never had to mess with that relay I suppose I should get a back up. I can't get me fuel filter un done I have a new one that the PO gave me. I guess he couldn't get it off either. I hope you do the important things to the engine so it keeps running belts, pads, and fuel lines.

I am not sure where my cab was purchased from but My Z3 was purchased in Alaska and brought down by the PO who was in the military. ( he was my CO)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Started pulling the transmission to swap in the long 5th gear out of an early 944 NA. It is nice to have a friend with a lift and a well stocked shop.

That is not meant to be an insult to a friend with a well stocked shop/garage but no lift. He doesn't seem to post here on RL much any more so I doubt he will see this post.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

As for the relay, I followed the advice of someone years ago and keep a spare on in my glove compartment.

how fun was it doing the front wheel bearings? thats something on my list along with new ball joints. hurrah.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by culture
As for the relay, I followed the advice of someone years ago and keep a spare on in my glove compartment.

how fun was it doing the front wheel bearings? thats something on my list along with new ball joints. hurrah.
Front wheel bearings are a pita. Getting the old ones out is a pain and then you have to freeze the bearings and bake the hubs tthen work fast with a punch to get the new ones in. My wife thought I was nuts baking car parts.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:17 PM
EliteThink
Pro

bought the pool noodle to cushion my top when it is down...
Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Jon951
Instructor

I also bought a pool noodle, great suggestion AZ

In honor of my 1990 S2 cab rolling over 150,000 miles today, we did the tail of the dragon. 318 turns in 11 miles. Deals Gap
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Had fun with fans this weekend. My fans were making a grinding noise so I picked up a pair of fans from someone locally that were smooth. Did not realize that our fan frame is larger than a later NA car. Lucky the fans themselves are the same. So transplanted the fans into my old frame. I am just waiting for a new thermofan switch and thermostat to arrive today and Ill install them and get everything back together.

Of course looking around I noticed an oil leak from my external oil cooler. I just replaced the O rings last year so I am thinking the lines or cooler are leaking. I have another cooler somewhere so I may swap it in and see if by chance it is the cooler and not the lines. Always something!

Mark

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?