Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Motor mounts

Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default GT3 Motor mounts

I asked this question inside a post on another topic a few days ago -- it got no replies.
Maybe noone noticed it.

I'll try again:

Some people are telling me that the stock motor mounts are very poor for track use, and that the cupcar mounts (or RSR mounts?) are much more rigid -- they say that with the stock ones you can feel the engine moving around (to the detriment of the handling.)

COMMENTS?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM
silverstreak996
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor is a relative term and the change is probably better for track use but not for the street. I had mine done last Oct and only had 2 track days on them so I do not have enough experience to comment. The specific application I was interested in was for going up the esses at Watkins Glen. I will probably still lift off the gas a bit there, but perhaps a little less. See the link for info on the mod.
https://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...A-AF7F98A43DF9}
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Below in quotes is what is posted on the PCA website. I upgraded to the 993 RS mounts per the folks at FarnbacherLoles. Not a great upgrade for street cars but also, as above, went with the upgrade for dealing with the esses at the Glen.
Chet

"Yes it most likely applies to the Euro GT3. I like the 993 RS motor mounts for the GT3 and GT2 (all versions). These are available from Carnewal, but tell them you need longer bolts like the Turbos use. Or for your track use only, try the new Wevo mounts available from SmartRacing for the 993. These look like a 993 RSR solid mount, but with a blue plastic vibration absorption feature. Again you will need longer bolts. If this is not enough detail for you to buy the mounts, drop me an email and we can carry on further."
Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with the Wevo mount, not installed yet. It address the concern of vibration in a solid mount. Ray helped me with the longer bolts, he has posted some info and pictures...do a search on this forum.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George,
Took some short runs with the new mounts in the car. Could be my imagination but the car feels tighter, if that is possible, and the throttle response seems a bit better (more immediate). Really no perception of additional noise or vibration.

I guess I have to wait to get into the esses at the glen to really get some real idea as the effect these guys made. I haven't been there this year but they were supposed to widen the track at the end of the esses over the tunnel, should be less of an adventure going throough there now.

On the plus side, you will save a pound or two over the OE mounts.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Ray, which mounts did you do?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I have the 993 RS/GT2 mounts on my GT3, which sees both track and street time. I was warned to make this change as soon as I bought the car from an advisor I've found to be the most credible of all the tuners/mechanics/advisors I've used.

I noticed very little difference between the OEM and the RS mounts on the street, and witnessed none of the instability on the track that I was warned of. So, my feedback would be that this is not a detrimental upgrade at all, and given the credibility of my advisor, and his statement that he's seen 6-7 wrecked GT3's at the Glen, I'd say it's a smart investment.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Chris,
Put the WEVO mounts in. Appear to be quality pieces, well made.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 AM
boqueron
Pro

Could you please develop on the Esses at Watkins Glen ? What is the secret and which the difference with the new mounts ?

PS.- Sorry, but I track in Europe, I am curious about this specific track and the mounts...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

We have installed many of the Wevo mounts and have been pleased with the results. I have known Hayden at Wevo for many years and all of his parts are very well designed, engineered and produced.

Good luck, Jerry
Old 04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote for Wevo.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boqueron
Could you please develop on the Esses at Watkins Glen ? What is the secret and which the difference with the new mounts ?

PS.- Sorry, but I track in Europe, I am curious about this specific track and the mounts...

The "esses" at the Glen are arguablly the fastest ( I'm guessing 150 - 165 mph not really looking at that point) part of the track. They are long sweeping high speed uphill turns. The fastest way around is to carry as much speed as possible through turn one and bury the throttle through the esses. This gives the engine pleanty of opportunity to rock back and forth as you transition from one sweeper to the other. One thing you really don't need is 500 lbs shifting around behind you in this type of situation. So as others have stated, if you might have issues, this is where it will show up, a really good test.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks! It makes sense...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

If you're going that fast in the esses without even being WOT from T1, what sort of speeds do you see by the bus stop and what car are you driving?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
If you're going that fast in the esses without even being WOT from T1, what sort of speeds do you see by the bus stop and what car are you driving?
No joke! I'd be curious to know that as well. Considering I can only hit about 155 on the back stretch at VIR and that involves ZERO turns and is LONGER that the section at WGI that you are talking about. FYI....this is in my 3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Motor mounts