Armed with an array of weapons of mass destruction, I went out this morning to measure crank endplay, and check a few things.
All is good on the crank endplay front. It took me a few tries to get my dial indicator set up where I liked it. I ended up taking dr bob's suggestion in a long ago post: magnetic base on the flywheel, dial indicator pointer on the bellhousing. Worked quite well.
I repeatedly moved the crank back and forth, and consistently read 0.008" of play. That converts to 0.203mm of play. I call that good!
However, it is more than what the shop measured back in April. During the PPI and subsequent work, they measured endplay at 0.0055", 0.14mm. The released the flexplate preload, which was 4mm.
I am not overly concerend about the increase, as it endplay is still within spec.
As well, the 2mm preload I found may explain the slight metallic sheen I found in the oil. Could be wear from the thrust bearing.
Dial indicator set up.
I have reinstalled the new front pinch bolt with blue loctite, torqued to 66 ft/lbs. I have also reinstalled the new PKlamp, as per the instructions.
I am aware of the Constantine SuperClamp, and the next best thing, the RiTech clamp. I am in a hole as far as money is concerned, so I am going to stick with the PKlamp for the moment. After a few months of driving, if the flexplate clamp migrates again, I will sell blood and get the RiTech clamp.
Down the road, when I rebuild the torque tube, I will get the SuperClamp.
Fixed one issue, found another. In a write up on pinch bolts and such, the poster mentioned taking a photo of the front torque-tube bearing, and measuring its distance down the tube. He saw something to the effect of 11".
Yep. Mine doesn't match. The bearing assembly looks OK. However, it is only approximately 3-3/4" from the edge of the bellhousing. I don't believe that is good.
Torque tube bearing looks OK, just seems awfully close.
I am going to have to do some searching on torque tube bearing migration, whether I can just knock it back into place, and how far back it needs to be.