Rear brake rotor removal - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
87landshark
User

Default Rear brake rotor removal

Can you guys help? I'm trying to install wheel spacers and need to put longer studs in the rotors. I'm having trouble getting the rotors off the car. The screws came out easily, and the E brake is off. I'm hitting them with a rubber tipped hammer to no avail. Trying to get it done before the rain starts to fall, please help! Does the 32 mm nut at the center of the hub need to be removed?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

87landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
NoVector
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you tried pressing them off? Sorry, I don't remember the size of the bolt... and this is a front rotor, but same idea.
Attached Images

"And yet, even today, when one grumbles by, my head does the full Linda Blair. It is, I think, one of the best-looking cars ever made."
-- Jeremy Clarkson on the Porsche 928
NoVector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used the bolt pressing method. I tried with regular bolts, and they sheared off, so I got hardened bolts (grade 6?) and it worked fine.
Good luck,
Dave
Remote keyless entry/starter
Carl's 175 amp MechMan alternator w/2-1/4" pulley , rebuilt after 5 years
Porkensioner (PKsn'r)
Carl's Stage II supercharger
Y-pipe, Borla Cat-back and WB2 O2 sensor
1984 911 Coupe RS Orange 120Kmiles
2001 996 tt Arctic Silver w/ black interior 26K miles
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
87landshark
User

To pull the studs out? I could see that working alright, but the new studs eibach sent with the spacers have to be put in the hub from behind. Does anyone know if that hub has to come off as well, in order for the studs to be installed? Surely someone on this forum has felt the need to put in wheel spacers before.......
Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Ducman82
Quacker McBoobs
Rennlist Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Ducman82

hub will have to come off. then have the old studs pressed out, and new ones pressed in.
remove the brakes, remove the rotor, unbold the axle, remove the hub (in car if you have the correct tools) or remove the whole hub assembly and press it out on a bench.
MSDS headers 3" Vband-304ss to magnaflow
Sharkwoofer, Budd leather, Pauly C' seats.
Ducman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Avar928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your rotors are being held on by built up corrosion on the side of the rotor that mates with the hub. I had a field day getting my fronts off. Because I was replacing them, I could be more liberal with how I treated the rotors (metal hammer).

Get PB blaster and try to soak the inside of the rotor by spraying at the inlets along the center and the wheel stud holes. Get a thin but large flat head and prying from the sides of the inner edges try to get some separation on one side and then rubber mallet that side to work it out then go around all the edges.

Be careful if you're re-using the rotors obviously and thoroughly clean the hub before re-installation. It'll make taking them off a bit easier the next time.
Avar928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
87landshark
User

Thanks ducman.. Much more work than I thought it would be,par for my course. How difficult to swap out the studs with the hub in the car? What tools would I need?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
85euro928
Addict
Rennlist Member

If i'm not mistaken there's no room to press out the studs while the hub is on the car. I just did this last fall and it's a bit of a job. If you have it apart this far, and haven't done so yet, you should consider changing out the bearings while you're in there.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
H.L Mencken
85euro928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
mj1pate
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just had to press off the rear rotors to do rear suspension work. Yes, they were very stubborn and turning bolts into the threaded holes looked to potentially create a bigger problem (damage). I went to Home Depot and purchased a large wooden rod, probably 1.5 inch thick. I cut it off to about a 12" length. Crawling underneath the car, I placed one end of the rod on the backend of the disk, available via an open space in the brake dust cover. I hammered on the other end of the wooden rod with a 3 lb hammer and after a few blows, the disk came free. I had to do the same operation to remove both rear rotors. The wooden rod took a beating; the disks were fine.

86.5 928 Automatic, Grand Prix White,
Midnight Blue Interior
mj1pate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
87landshark
User

Oh man. This is turning into more than twice the job I originally thought it was. For another time, when I need brakes and will be replacing the rotors. While the weathers nice I'm gonna drive the car. I'd rather do that than anything else. Thanks to all for your help. Your all invaluable.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Got here late...

Pull the hubs to replace the studs. There isn't adequate room to press them out from the front safely, and there's lots to damage if you try to beat them out (as many amateurs/DIY's seem to do). With the hub out, the studs press out and get replaced with a support fixture that prevents distortion/stress on the hub. Know that pulling the hub will destroy the wheel bearing as it brings half of the inner races pair with it on removal.

Rennlist Member
928OC Charter Member #81
SoCal 928 Co-Founder #3
PCA SGVR Member
---------------------
Free advice and shared experience, with absolutely no relationship to your real-world conditions. No warranty of any kind expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.
dr bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Bertrand Daoust
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87landshark View Post
Can you guys help? I'm trying to install wheel spacers and need to put longer studs in the rotors. I'm having trouble getting the rotors off the car. The screws came out easily, and the E brake is off. I'm hitting them with a rubber tipped hammer to no avail. Trying to get it done before the rain starts to fall, please help! Does the 32 mm nut at the center of the hub need to be removed?
You don't need to remove the 32 mm bolt to remove the rotor.

Like NoVector said, use use the bolt pressing method to press the rotor out.
It will work that way.

Avatar by Haley Neale - http://www.littlerobotphoto.com/
-PKlamp - http://liftbars.com/
-Porkensioner - http://liftbars.com/
-Guardian Waterpump - http://www.perfexmfg.com
-Paul Champagne Interior (Partially) - http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/PorscheLeather.html
-Classic 9 Leather shop Interior (Partially) - http://www.classic9leathershop.com/
-GTS Mirror
-RMB
Bertrand Daoust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Hilton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Um.. lets backtrack a bit before this gets mighty expensive.

Why are you installing spacers?

To remove the studs and fit new longer ones, you'll need to remove the rear hubs. This will destroy the rear wheel bearings - so you'll need new ones of them too. They're expensive.

If you're doing this just to fill the rear arches, then if the wheels you're fitting aren't too wide, your best bet is the bolt-on spacers which include their own studs (they're around 21mm IIRC).

Of course, new rear wheel bearings might not be a bad idea.. just make sure you've got all your jobs lined up to do at once while the hubs are off (e.g. re-plating the dust shield behind the e-brake pads)

In answer to your question - use a couple of M8 bolts. There are two threaded holes in the rotor which they screw into, and press it off the hub. Of it won't come off easily, odds are there's some corrosion on the inside of the rotor binding against the e-brake shoes.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
mark kibort
Addict
Rennlist Member

10lb mallet on the rotor. It will come off eventually, but dont do it unless you really need new rotors too. bold on the bolt on spacer with studs. Ive been racing with it for over 10 years now, no issues.
get the porsche stock version. its about 17mm if i remembrer correctly, and they are made up to 1" i think. Otherwise, its a big job to remove all the stuff to do a hub job.
Laguna Seca SCCA ITE race with Comp Coupe Viper '08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sih48Dby9d0
TV Highlights
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...bdf5891242.htm
Porsche GT3-Caddy CTSV race LAGUNA '08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYbFeIai2Ng
mark kibort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement