Opinions on this lift - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    
 
Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
neilh
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neilh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC - ex - San Diego
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via AIM to neilh
Default Opinions on this lift

I'm not looking for a 2 or 4 post, so would appreciate thoughts on this one specifically for 928 work of course. On special until the end of March.
http://www.gesusa.com/Dannmar-Cadet-...-p/1375651.htm
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

__________________
Neil Harman 928 OC Rep, North Carolina. PCA Hurricane Region Member.
=================================
81 928, 84 928S Euro, 86 928 S
98 Land Rover Discovery - (to recover the 928's)
1929 Model 'A' Hot Rod
2012 Hyundai SanteFe
94 Jeep Wrangler - usually behind our 2003 Winnebago Brave, and a ProLine 21WA boat.
neilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
dr bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 11,972
Default

Would be OK for wheelwell work, but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

There are similar Bend-Paks and other portable lifts in this class that have had some discussion here.


My MaxJax gets regular workouts. Every once in a while I think that having a full 6' lift height would be better than the 4' MaxJax height. But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, maybe that's what sent you to GES?
__________________
'89 S4 Auto, black

Rennlist Member
928OC Charter Member #81
SoCal 928 Co-Founder #3
PCA SGVR Member
---------------------
Free advice and shared experience, with absolutely no relationship to your real-world conditions. No warranty of any kind expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by dr bob; 02-07-2012 at 06:45 PM.
dr bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
928mac
Super User
 
928mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,591
Default

Like Bob said, its not worth it.
928mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
danglerb
Super User
 
danglerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, Cal
Posts: 8,131
Default

6,000 lb Chinese scissor is sold by a dozen or so different places for about that price. Mine is a Pace I paid about $1k for new, but not new new, original buyer bought two for a project and only used one.
danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 2,188
Default

Really interesting that it is a DanNmar-Cadet. If I were Danmar, maker of the MaxJax, I would be concerned about infringement. If I were a buyer, I would be concerned about the company's ethics, which could translate into my safety. That said, after a year of research while redoing my shop, I'll have the Bendpak version of that scissors lift on the floor in about a month. I'll let you know what I think of it then!
__________________
Martin
928S3 - 86.5 D***ed and F****ed and lit by EL A/T LSD

"The 928 must be the most highly developed road car there is... Everything about it is top class." - Phil Hill
"A terrific, terrific car. Absolutely superb." - Stirling Moss

Popular Mechanics, March 1981

Last edited by M. Requin; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: sp
M. Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
MGW-Fla
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MGW-Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Fla.
Posts: 3,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
..... but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

......... But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, .............
This was the original style of lift I considered until I thought about the above concerns in comparison to the MaxJax.

For only a few hundred more, you can have a MaxJax. Here's the link to our thread about the group buy being coordinated & coming up shortly:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-of-hands.html
__________________
'85 928S; #333; 32V; AT; DunkelBlau/Champagne; Xpipe; PK Chipped; Kinesis K28R wheels.
'94 968 Cab; #617; 6 spd; Speed Yellow/Black; BBS Sport Classics, Blk w/SY trim.
'91 928S4; #364; AT; GP White/Blue.



'85 928S; #1076; 32V; AT; gold/brown;(adopted out).
'90 911/964; Cab.; linen/linen;(911 heaven).
'04 BMW Z4 Roadster; 3.0; silver/black;(sold).


SY 968 Cab #4 of 10.
MGW-Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 2,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW-Fla View Post
This was the original style of lift I considered until I thought about the above concerns in comparison to the MaxJax.

For only a few hundred more, you can have a MaxJax. Here's the link to our thread about the group buy being coordinated & coming up shortly:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-of-hands.html
This is all true, and I originally planned on a MaxJax (the Bendpak I am getting is about the same cost). But unfortunately for me, there is no way I can fit it in my small shop. So I'll see how this works out, and maybe in a few months I'll be able to report here how it worked out.

One thing about scissors lifts, they do vary and it is important to make sure the arms/pads fit your car's lift points! I was surprised at the variation here.
__________________
Martin
928S3 - 86.5 D***ed and F****ed and lit by EL A/T LSD

"The 928 must be the most highly developed road car there is... Everything about it is top class." - Phil Hill
"A terrific, terrific car. Absolutely superb." - Stirling Moss

Popular Mechanics, March 1981
M. Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
mechatorque85
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
Really interesting that it is a DanNmar-Cadet. If I were Danmar, maker of the MaxJax, I would be concerned about infringement. If I were a buyer, I would be concerned about the company's ethics, which could translate into my safety. That said, after a year of research while redoing my shop, I'll have the Bendpak version of that scissors lift on the floor in about a month. I'll let you know what I think of it then!
Danmar is just a mispelling of Dannmar... They're both Dannmar.
mechatorque85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 2,188
Default

You're right, thanks for the correction.
__________________
Martin
928S3 - 86.5 D***ed and F****ed and lit by EL A/T LSD

"The 928 must be the most highly developed road car there is... Everything about it is top class." - Phil Hill
"A terrific, terrific car. Absolutely superb." - Stirling Moss

Popular Mechanics, March 1981
M. Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
mechatorque85
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
Would be OK or wheelwell work, but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

There are similar Bend-Paks and other portable lifts in this class that have had some discussion here.


My MaxJax gets regular workouts. Every once in a while I think that having a full 6' lift height would be better than the 4' MaxJax height. But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, maybe that's what sent you to GES?
The only thing I gotta say is it looks like the Cadet has casters so you can just roll it out of the way in a similar fashion to the MaxJax. Though it takes up more space when you do roll it- just saying it looks portable.
mechatorque85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
danglerb
Super User
 
danglerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, Cal
Posts: 8,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatorque85 View Post
The only thing I gotta say is it looks like the Cadet has casters so you can just roll it out of the way in a similar fashion to the MaxJax. Though it takes up more space when you do roll it- just saying it looks portable.
Mine weighs about 1000 lbs, and I will go with, "can be moved", but its not what I would call portable.
danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
mechatorque85
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglerb View Post
Mine weighs about 1000 lbs, and I will go with, "can be moved", but its not what I would call portable.
XD fair enough.
mechatorque85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Rennlist



Paid Advertisement
Reply


Tags
6000, auto, bendpak, cadet, danmar, dannmar, dennmar, fair, maxjax

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright ę 1998 - 2007 Rennlist.com

Advertise on Rennlist - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs