Opinions on this lift - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
neilh
Addict
Rennlist Member

Send a message via AIM to neilh
Default Opinions on this lift

I'm not looking for a 2 or 4 post, so would appreciate thoughts on this one specifically for 928 work of course. On special until the end of March.
http://www.gesusa.com/Dannmar-Cadet-...-p/1375651.htm
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

98 Land Rover Discovery - (to recover the 928's)
1929 Model 'A' Hot Rod
2012 Hyundai SanteFe
94 Jeep Wrangler - usually behind our 2003 Winnebago Brave, and a ProLine 21WA boat.
neilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Would be OK for wheelwell work, but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

There are similar Bend-Paks and other portable lifts in this class that have had some discussion here.

My MaxJax gets regular workouts. Every once in a while I think that having a full 6' lift height would be better than the 4' MaxJax height. But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, maybe that's what sent you to GES?

Rennlist Member
928OC Charter Member #81
SoCal 928 Co-Founder #3
PCA SGVR Member
---------------------
Free advice and shared experience, with absolutely no relationship to your real-world conditions. No warranty of any kind expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by dr bob; 02-07-2012 at 06:45 PM.
dr bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
928mac
Super User

Like Bob said, its not worth it.
928mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
danglerb
Super User

6,000 lb Chinese scissor is sold by a dozen or so different places for about that price. Mine is a Pace I paid about $1k for new, but not new new, original buyer bought two for a project and only used one.
danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Really interesting that it is a DanNmar-Cadet. If I were Danmar, maker of the MaxJax, I would be concerned about infringement. If I were a buyer, I would be concerned about the company's ethics, which could translate into my safety. That said, after a year of research while redoing my shop, I'll have the Bendpak version of that scissors lift on the floor in about a month. I'll let you know what I think of it then!

"The 928 must be the most highly developed road car there is... Everything about it is top class." - Phil Hill
"A terrific, terrific car. Absolutely superb." - Stirling Moss

Popular Mechanics, March 1981

Last edited by M. Requin; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: sp
M. Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
MGW-Fla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
..... but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

......... But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, .............
This was the original style of lift I considered until I thought about the above concerns in comparison to the MaxJax.

For only a few hundred more, you can have a MaxJax. Here's the link to our thread about the group buy being coordinated & coming up shortly:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-of-hands.html
'85 928S; #333; 32V; AT; DunkelBlau/Champagne; Xpipe; PK Chipped; Kinesis K28R wheels.
'94 968 Cab; #617; 6 spd; Speed Yellow/Black; BBS Sport Classics, Blk w/SY trim.
'91 928S4; #364; AT; GP White/Blue.

'85 928S; #1076; 32V; AT; gold/brown;(adopted out).
'90 911/964; Cab.; linen/linen;(911 heaven).
'04 BMW Z4 Roadster; 3.0; silver/black;(sold).

SY 968 Cab #4 of 10.
MGW-Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW-Fla View Post
This was the original style of lift I considered until I thought about the above concerns in comparison to the MaxJax.

For only a few hundred more, you can have a MaxJax. Here's the link to our thread about the group buy being coordinated & coming up shortly:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-of-hands.html
This is all true, and I originally planned on a MaxJax (the Bendpak I am getting is about the same cost). But unfortunately for me, there is no way I can fit it in my small shop. So I'll see how this works out, and maybe in a few months I'll be able to report here how it worked out.

One thing about scissors lifts, they do vary and it is important to make sure the arms/pads fit your car's lift points! I was surprised at the variation here.

"The 928 must be the most highly developed road car there is... Everything about it is top class." - Phil Hill

Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
mechatorque85
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
Really interesting that it is a DanNmar-Cadet. If I were Danmar, maker of the MaxJax, I would be concerned about infringement. If I were a buyer, I would be concerned about the company's ethics, which could translate into my safety. That said, after a year of research while redoing my shop, I'll have the Bendpak version of that scissors lift on the floor in about a month. I'll let you know what I think of it then!
Danmar is just a mispelling of Dannmar... They're both Dannmar.
mechatorque85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're right, thanks for the correction.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
mechatorque85
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
Would be OK or wheelwell work, but the center framework blocks a lot of access to the center of the car. Other thing is undercar driveover clearance, and storage; it's always in your parking space..

There are similar Bend-Paks and other portable lifts in this class that have had some discussion here.

My MaxJax gets regular workouts. Every once in a while I think that having a full 6' lift height would be better than the 4' MaxJax height. But when I'm done I can roll the MaxJax columns out of the way, hang the arms on the columns for small storage footprint, and have full workbay access for other thiings. There's a group buy in the works, maybe that's what sent you to GES?
The only thing I gotta say is it looks like the Cadet has casters so you can just roll it out of the way in a similar fashion to the MaxJax. Though it takes up more space when you do roll it- just saying it looks portable.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
danglerb
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatorque85 View Post
The only thing I gotta say is it looks like the Cadet has casters so you can just roll it out of the way in a similar fashion to the MaxJax. Though it takes up more space when you do roll it- just saying it looks portable.
Mine weighs about 1000 lbs, and I will go with, "can be moved", but its not what I would call portable.
danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
mechatorque85
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglerb View Post
Mine weighs about 1000 lbs, and I will go with, "can be moved", but its not what I would call portable.
XD fair enough.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
6000, auto, bendpak, cadet, danmar, dannmar, dennmar, fair, maxjax