Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

This Rennlist Forum is sponsored by      ....dedicated to Your Porsche 928

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
The Sharkologist
User

Default Exterior Door Handle Removal

Next question... Is there a way to remove the exterior door handle without gutting the entire door? I've done that a few times, but seems like an awful lot just to get to that piece. Anyone ever removed one a different way?

Just trying to soak up anything I can, I should have been on a here a while ago... so far the information and responses from everyone have been great. Thanks everyone.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

The Sharkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Hilton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Short of sawing through the arms on it, the minimum I'd say you have to remove is:

Unscrew interior door handle and rotating lock ****
Remove door card and 5 bolts holding door panel in place, as well as the 2 pesky screws hidden in the carpet.
Pull the panel clips out, unplug the switches (if drivers door or memory seat), and remove the panel completely for space
Peel back plastic moisture barrier
Wind window up - remove the bolts on the annoying security shield
Wind window down - wiggle security shield out while carefully scratching your tint in several places
Unbolt the handle

I took the lock out completely last time I did this - adds a little maneuvering room for the anti-theft plate, and not hard to do.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
The Sharkologist
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlot View Post
Short of sawing through the arms on it, the minimum I'd say you have to remove is:

Unscrew door handle and rotating lock ****
Remove door card and 5 bolts holding door panel in place, as well as the 2 pesky screws hidden in the carpet.
Pull the panel clips out, unplug the switches (if drivers door or memory seat), and remove the panel completely for space
Peel back plastic moisture barrier
Wind window up - remove the bolts on the annoying security shield
Wind window down - wiggle security shield out while carefully scratching your tint in several places
Unbolt the handle

I took the lock out completely last time I did this - adds a little maneuvering room for the anti-theft plate, and not hard to do.
Thanks Hilton! I'm pretty familiar with removing the door panel, and that pesky security shield! ...I might use a different word than pesky, but not so appropriate for here. I was working on one this morning, and attempting to record the process for everyone to see. Unfortunately, I was a little impatient and the outer latch bolts stripped on me with very little effort... after attacking that with an arsenal of weapons, I had to stop to get other work done. So then I thought, well cool, now I can upload a video removal of the door panel at least... but apparently I WASN'T RECORDING!!! It's about 93 outside right now (at least 100 in the shop), and I don't feel like fighting with it anymore today. But stay tuned, the photo shoots and videos are in process... Started on that sliding roof cable this morning also, danglerb (if you're reading)

-TS
The Sharkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
pavlooshka
New User

Im working on the same drama. Looking forward to taking a look at what you have with pictures and/or video.
Id like to get a better idea so I dont rip out any guts.
Whats the "security shield" you guys speak of?

Thanks.
pavlooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Rob Edwards
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good pics of the security shield here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-write-up.html

1988 S4 5-speed, White/White, C03 158 220 418 474 481 494 513 538 570 586 650 91K mi

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark"
Joseph Lucas, 1923

928 Option Codes List, Current as of October 2013 Here: https://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/pu...2010-7-13.xlsx
Rob Edwards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Landseer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lifting exterior handle a bit can give a better angle of approach to the nuts that hold it in place.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
964, cayenne, door, exterior, front, handle, hidden, inside, instructions, knob, panel, porsche, removal, remove, removing