Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1988 924s Trouble shooting (Fuel)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Scojo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 924s Trouble shooting (Fuel)

No fuel pressure, took off the cap at the end of the fuel rail and got just drips of gas. Has new filter and 12v at the fuel pump. Was just going to buy new fuel pump. However, before I spend the $....... would like to eliminate any non-cost common issues. Is it common for the fuel pump to power up and sound normal but be worn out? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 AM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two '88 924S cars, they are great cars! Anyway, have you checked the in-tank fuel filter lately? These can rot over time, and if so, particles of junk might have lodged in the fuel pump. You can sometimes reverse polarity on the fuel pump, back and forth, to dislodge the junk. The filter is available with a new rubber o-ring instead of paper gaskets. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Scojo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent advise! Got this car as a basket case and didn't even think that the wires would be switched around? I guess the guy before me put new clamps on the wires going to the pump and put them on backwards. I switched them and got fuel pressure and car started up. The bad is the guy who did this thought it was a wiring problem and tore into the dash......... I'm sure I'll have more questions. My goal is to get all wiring back to the way it suppose to be. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 1988 924s Trouble shooting (Fuel)