Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Let's Liven up This Forum, tell us about your 924!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:47 PM
Mich924S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Let's Liven up This Forum, tell us about your 924!

Well I'm kind of new to the Porsche theme but not too knew. I just traded a motorcycle for a 1987 924S black with the black leatherette and cloth seats. The car is in immaculate condition. The paint looks brand new. The car has about 37,000 actual miles on it and the interior is almost flawless. It looks like a brand new car. There is a very small crack in the dash about 1 inch long but other than that the interior is perfect. The front lower valence is bent and needs replacing but I can see how that gets that way with parking and curbs. Does the Pelican Part replacement fit directly and is it black? The car was stored for 4 years or so but I have driven it around and I'm getting it thoroughly brought up to date. It does not leak one little drop of anything, it's that clean. It does need 2 rear tires. I wanted a black porsche and I found this on the net and offered the trade and he took it. He delivered it and picked up my bike. My dad had an 82 924, silver, and when I was a kid, I thought that car was fast of course I know a bit better now. Why does the 924S have such a lower value to a comparable year 944, after 1987? Any hints? Anyways, that's my story so let's hear about your 924!
Old 11-09-2001, 03:15 PM
sam
Advanced

There is not too much activity on this board. I usually lurk on the 924/944/951/968 watercooled board. Some of the 944 crowd don't know what a 924-S is, so when soliciting info, don't be too specific about the vehicle.

You might want to think (real hard) about replacing the balance shaft and camshaft belts. A failure of a cam belt gets kinda expensive to fix. (8 bent valves, and a lot of labor).

BTW, I have 2 87 924-S, Black on Black. I love them.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:54 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by sam:
<STRONG>You might want to think (real hard) about replacing the balance shaft and camshaft belts.</STRONG>
You really should do this ASAP. They need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. You probably don't know the last time yours was done.

Also, you should re-tension them 1,500 and 16,500 miles after installation.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:07 AM
kyle robert moore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is my story......

twas the night before christmas....no actually it was about 3 months ago my ford t bird sc had just blown a head gasket and left me with no ride, and my wife with a job to show up to in a few days....i looked around for a bomb and found a 1980 924 that needed everythig but just had a motor job, clutch replacement and bunches of other work and the car woul be mine for settling the $2000 repair bill, i passed on it to find an 87 924s in much much better shape for only $2500!! i looked it over, test drove it found it had a broken speedo and at least 149k on it....well it runs good and i have heard of 2.5l engines with 200+ kmi so i bought it. the next trick was teaching my wife to drive a stick &lt;covers eyes&gt; yes the little car survived!! (so did i) so here i am 3 months later with $2565 invested (it needed brakes and an oil change) and my/her liitle car runs like a champ. i am going to repl the timing belt..im told it needs replacing very often.....mine probably hasnt been changed....

overall the car is about a 7 or 8 out of ten. it had no major faults, runs good, the paint was kinda chalky at first but a day of detailing brought back quite a bit of lustre, the interior is in great shape, i need minor things like a sunvisor, the little $.99 clip for the sunroof, and the interior light needs to be fixed. overal im satisfied with the car and have found many mixed feelings on what its worth. kelly's blue book gives it a value of about 2700, nada gives it a value of 4500 and so does cpi..go figure!! i dont know who to trust so i believe i got a deal at 2500!!!!

thats my story and im sticking to it!!!

kyle moore
aiea hawaii
87 924s
83 911sc targa
Old 11-30-2001, 05:41 PM
duck1
AutoX

I dropped in to see what the 924 Turbo group discusses, and I thought I would share my 924 Turbo story. I was right out of college and did not have any career leads, so iwas working in a restaurant. I found a 1980 924 turbo in met. blue with black interior and only 45k. great condition, but I knew very little except that I wanted this car badly. I would drive to the lot every night after work just to look and make sure it was still there. I bought it for $7800(1989 money), and I loved it...until the turbo blew up. I drove a 1972 Cadillac around while I saved the money for the repairs. I eventually got it fixed and drove it for another year with the usual difficulties: exhaust manifold leaks, erratic wipers, erratic headlight operation etc. But I have a soft spot for the 924, it intorduced me to the world of Porsches and the people that own them. I have been hooked ever since. The sad part is that a few years ago my old 924 turned up in the classifieds being offered by a repo company, I went to look but she was too far gone...smashed front end, 1 snow tire on the rear, interior destroyed, etc. But I toyed with the idea of rescueing her for a while, but decided not too. You never forget your first Porsche. I currently own a 1990 C2 with 16k original miles. I love it but someday I would like to have a 924 turbo as a second Porsche. Thats my 924 story.

Thanks,

Rick 90C2
Old 12-01-2001, 10:42 AM
yOnKiNaToR
Advanced

well, i live in a small town with no nice or more rare cars. i was going up the road to go to school one day and a car lot called "yesterdays wheelss" is along side of the road and i see a shiny black '88 Porsche 924S sitting out front. I almost ran off the road for looking at it to long .after school I went down there and I looked at the price: $3,700...that was to much I thought. I went to my uncle who is real tight with the owner of the car and he gave it to me for 3,000. Only later i figured out that it was a le mans version, which is cool. the car has the usual problems, (sunroof, cracked dash) other than that it had 102,000 miles on it and everything looked good and was suprised that the wheels, tires , shocks, and struts were immaculate because of the mountainous, dirty "hick" area that i live in. I thought I got a good deal and i'm happy with it. _

Quick Reply: Let's Liven up This Forum, tell us about your 924!