Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me install 3-piece Goetze Oiling Rings!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 AM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me install 3-piece Goetze Oiling Rings!

I'm rebuilding my 1988 944 NA with about 110k miles on it, bores simply cleaned up. #2 piston tolerance group.

These rings all gap within tolerances, except: the first oiling ring I pulled out wants to overlap itself. So I took it out and put it in the bore and it is too big.

Is this normal? Am I supposed to cut a chunk off? Or... Is it supposed to crush smaller on installation? If so, how am I going to keep it from overlapping itself? Did I buy the right rings?

I am all set, otherwise, to build this puppy!

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Well, then!

With a little encouragement from some folks on Faceballs, I worked on it a little longer and got the rings lined up where they need to be.

It's a little tricky, and I haven't tried to compress them and place them into the block yet. But I'll report back as soon as I'm done.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Great job! Use lots of oil in the ring grooves/on the rings & cyls for install so everything seats nice.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

All done!

They tapped right into the cylinders without a hitch! The pistons move really smoothly before and after the rod big-ends have all been torqued down. This engine WANTS to spin!

There were a few tricks I learned as I went along:

1) Remove the connecting rod nuts before doing anything. mine were really on there because that's how it came from the machinist. Not everyone will have rods that are cranked down like that, but if you do, get them off early on.

2) My crankshaft was already installed. So I turned the crank so the rod journal was away from the cylinder, and protected the cylinder walls with a strip of paper that was easily removed from the bottom later.

3) Put the bearing on the rod side before tapping it in. With some assembly lube, it will stay there, and it's easier than putting it on with the crankshaft and crank scraper in the way.

4) I used a fancy tapered Wiseco 100mm ring compressor. After you have the top side of the bearing installed, and everything ready to put in, get the piston far enough into the compressor that all the rings are contained by it. (at least flush). Only then should you present the piston to the cylinder.

I'm really happy about this part of the job. Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps someone else down the road.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

How did you get the pistons so clean?

Any more info/pics on this "tapered ring compressor"?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

The ring compressor looks like this:

It's simply a tapered cylinder that's wide enough at the top to take in the oiling rings, and with a bit of a squeeze, the other two rings. Tap on the top of the piston as you would with any other kind of ring compressor, and by the time the piston rings make it to the top of the cylinder, the width is 100mm and it just slides right in.

Worked pretty well for me.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

>faceballs

Mighty car mods detected.

I got a ARP 100mm ring compressor and honestly I wasn't blown away. I had a lot of similar issues installing the pistons. When you say you put lube on the bearings to hold them in, surely you didn't mean between the back side of the bearing and rod right? I was always told that was a recipe for a spun bearing, and to keep that interface as clean and dry as possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

The pistons are clean because I paid Michael Mount to soda blast the skirts. I guess he just hit the faces too, while he was at it.

Re: lube on the back side: I did put some there. Funny thing about these particular bearings, though.. there's an oiling hole in each half of the bearing. Seems to me that some will get back there no matter how hard I try to keep it clean, considering oil will be constantly pressurized into those holes by the oiling holes in the cross drilled journals.

But I am no expert, obviously.

Also, none of my issues were related to the compressor. It worked fine.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

2nd on dry and lint free on the back side of the shells. Inquire with your machinist as it would be a simple fix now.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

If a person wanted to pop them out and apply acetone or brakeclean to the backs of the bearings & insides of the bores then I suspect a reuse wouldn't be a problem. Apply some loctite to the rod fasteners if must re-use the nuts (is how I'd handle it).

The first engine I rebuilt at work I did the same thing on a diesel engine... never heard from the customer again. I suspect after paying us $10,000 to rebuild his engine that we would have heard about any problems... but in the back of my mind I always wondered...

My technique nowadays is to install the bearings in the rods with everything (crank included) dry as a bone. Then once the bearings are seated & flush in the rods I then apply assembly lube.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by CrookedRacer
The ring compressor looks like this:

the width is 100mm and it just slides right in.

Worked pretty well for me.
THAT BAD ***!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

It won't matter how dry it is since those bearings he is using have a hole. That means system oil pressure will be applied to that hole 100% of the time engine has oil pressure.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Here's one of the new bearings with that sizeable hole alongside a normal bearing. Both halves of the new bearings have the hole.

I didn't really lube it up on the outside of the bearing (inside of the connecting rod)... I only put a light shmear on the back of the one that goes in the rod itself to give it enough surface tension to hold onto it while I tapped the piston into the cylinder.

The other one (bottom half) went on dry on all four.

I guess I'd prefer to not have to "re-use" those nice new nuts and have THAT on my conscience.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CrookedRacer
Here's one of the new bearings with that sizeable hole alongside a normal bearing. Both halves of the new bearings have the hole.

I didn't really lube it up on the outside of the bearing (inside of the connecting rod)... I only put a light shmear on the back of the one that goes in the rod itself to give it enough surface tension to hold onto it while I tapped the piston into the cylinder.

The other one (bottom half) went on dry on all four.

I guess I'd prefer to not have to "re-use" those nice new nuts and have THAT on my conscience.
My experience is building Chevy small blocks putting out 500 hp. The rod bearing surfaces and the rods side of the bearings were cleaned with lacquer thinner to prevent the spinning of the bearing. The picture of you bearing is similar to a Chevy small block.

The "spring" of the bearing holds the bearing in the connecting rod and the bearing does not fall out when you place the piston and connecting rod into the cylinder .

IMO, I would contact Michael Mount if the believes it is wise to put a thinner layer of grease between the bearing and the connecting rod. This thin film affects the bearing to crankshaft clearance and I believe the grease film could help a bearing to spin.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

If a rod bearing doesn't slip into place with enough tension to hold it in, then it's a good indication the big-end needs to be examined to make sure it's not out of round.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me install 3-piece Goetze Oiling Rings!