Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Firehawk interiors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:36 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Firestone Firehawk interiors?

Does anyone have a good reference or personal story that describes the interiors of the Super 7? I'm starting to finish (odd idea isn't it?) on the mechanical parts of my first stage restoration/tribute to the Firehawks using a "volunteer" '89 944S2 and I'm starting to think about the next stages, which will be the interior and roll cage so I can get this thing on the track for a few shakedown cruises.

Any help appreciated.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There's a couple pictures online from for sale ads. They should be about the same as a cup car interior, no armrest, no sunroof, manual windows, manual mirrors. Are you going to put a roll cage in the car?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Are you going to put a roll cage in the car?
That's the plan, yes. The orriginal had a bolt-in type that isn't made anymore but the general dimensions are available I think so I'm hoping they can be re-manufactured.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:31 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Heigo was oem supplier too and still produces original rollcages.

http://www.heigo.de/ASP/index.asp?PI...2&SCAT=Porsche

Old 03-27-2017, 10:11 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have access to 2 of the super 7 cars, so if you need interior pics, let me know.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The window net was on the door, which is not allowed anymore so most have been changed. The Matter cages, were not used for racing, so believe most had their own custom cages. The cars ran with stock belts still mounted, as well as the arm rest and interior. Have you been able to find cup mirrors or magnesium phone dials?

Last edited by por944s2; 03-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Voith
Heigo was oem supplier too and still produces original rollcages.

http://www.heigo.de/ASP/index.asp?PI...2&SCAT=Porsche
Voith -

My sincere thanks. This is a proof of exactly why this list is so valuable. Amazing.

I honestly believed these cages were no longer available.

Thank you. Profusely. If my dog were still capable, I'd offer you the pick of the litter from her next breeding. Really. Someday I hope I can return the favor. If you ever have a question about computers or dogs, let me know?

Best Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 03-29-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por944s2
I have access to 2 of the super 7 cars, so if you need interior pics, let me know.
Sorry I haven't picked up your name on the thread, mine's Scott.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was hoping to find. I can't say enough about the quality of people and information available from this site. It never ceases to amaze me.

Of course, any other photos you have would be welcome. I'm more or less dedicated to doing my utmost to reproduce one of these cars and campaign it successfully. I may have trouble with the magnesium oil pan Sometimes we need to accept defeat.

Thanks again for your help and best regards,
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Voith -

My sincere thanks. This is a proof of exactly why this list is so valuable. Amazing.

I honestly believed these cages were no longer available.

Thank you. Profusely. If my dog were still capable, I'd offer you the pick of the litter from her next breading. Really. Someday I hope I can return the favor. If you ever have a question about computers or dogs, let me know?

Best Regards,
No problem, I was searching matter cage myself but people want legs and kidneys for it so I found out at the museum last year that Heigo is factory supplier too and they are still in business. They aere said to be slow but still better slow than nothing.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
the magnesium oil pan
Magnesium oil pan, really? I did not know that!
I know the Cup Cars had a magnesium intake manifold but wasn't aware of the oil pan. If that's true then you're doing your part by contributing to the forum.
Thanks Scott and good luck with your build, keep us posted.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951
Magnesium oil pan, really? I did not know that!
It's not as if I have personal experience, but I have read the "Super Seven" used the higher volume magnesium oil pan from the Turbo Cup cars and I take it on faith. Perhaps one of the owners on this list can confirm?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I was digging through some old files and found a spec sheet from the Rothmans Turbo Cup and sure enough, magnesium oil pan. For the cups at least.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Turbo cups had mag oil pans. Not sure about the 7 S2 clubsports. Are the 3.0 ltr block oil pans interchangeable on the 2.5 blocks? If not, I doubt the factory made a special run of mag pans for 7 cars. The intake manifolds were not mag on the S2s. All the other motorsport parts on the cars were straight from the Cup parts. And the list of S2 Clubsport parts (Jan 91 Weissach document) lists only the AC delete with 90A alternator and power steering delete as engine modifications.

The factory Cups came with Matter cages. Issue is that the matter cages were 0.095" wall thickness 1.5" OD 1020 DOM tubing, which was not legal in most US venues. So for the cars that raced in IMSA, they had other cages installed.

The one non-pro raced 91 S2 Clubsport that came thru Kelly Moss has a Matter cage in it.

As with the Cups, the clubsports came with a relatively full interior. Carpet, etc. Typically the driver seat was replaced with a Recaro SPG racing seat, and the passenger seat and rear seat were Porsche cloth. The rear hatch carpet is a lighter weight stiff felt piece, not the padded carpet of the production cars. Vinyl head liner for sunrood delete, manual window cranks, non-AC heater control unit, etc.
Attached Images     
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great photos Jim !!!

Your car is outstanding !

And Otto, errrrr Scott :
Are you changing the blue interior to black on the tribute ?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The one non-pro raced 91 S2 Clubsport that came thru Kelly Moss has a Matter cage in it..
That's what I thought. It's going to be an ongoing debate for me, whether to build the car with currently acceptable race specs or try to build it "as was" and just use it for DE and maybe vintage. I haven't made up my mind.

Originally Posted by Oddjob
As with the Cups, the clubsports came with a relatively full interior. Carpet, etc. Typically the driver seat was replaced with a Recaro SPG racing seat, and the passenger seat and rear seat were Porsche cloth. The rear hatch carpet is a lighter weight stiff felt piece, not the padded carpet of the production cars. Vinyl head liner for sunrood delete, manual window cranks, non-AC heater control unit, etc.
Good to know about the carpet and fairly easy to reproduce, also very good to know the rear seats were kept since I'd been thinking about a rear seat delete, no need for that then. But what about a fuel cell? Most race 944s I've seen put the fuel cell under the rear hatch and rear seats would interfere? Did the 7's incorporate fuel cells?

This is the hard part about getting it all straight since IMSA rules have changed. I'm starting to think I shouldn't be planning this as a real "race" build, rather a "vintage" build. I believe the safety rules are relaxed significantly for vintage, and that's all I really want for this car anyway. If I wanted to win class races I don't think I'd be running the 944S2. For that matter, I expect I'd have started training for it about 30 yeas ago

Thanks very much for the help and the pictures. I sincerely appreciate it,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 04-01-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk interiors?