Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-ended Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:58 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear-ended Yesterday

Was in a left turn lane, stopped about 3 cars back from the light. Suddenly I hear squealing tires. Check the mirror to see a car approaching way too fast to stop. Traffic ahead not moving yet, and traffic to my right too heavy to try to get out of my lane. Put my head firmly against the headrest, and wait for the inevitable.

Impact is what you might expect. The fog clears in a few seconds and I take stock of my situation. The iced Dutch Bros coffee I had picked up for my wife is on the floor. Windshield wipers are on now. Faceplate is no longer on the stereo. Everything else seems to be in one piece.

I get out, look back at the 60-something pony-tailed hippie douchebag that just drove into me. He's still in his car, uninjured. I gesture towards my car, look back at him and say, "Really?!" His response? "Hey, sometimes **** happens!"

Initial appearance suggests the car actually fared pretty well. Bumper shock absorbers did their job. Exhaust and bumper now in constant contact with each other resulting in an obnoxious "tinny" rattle at virtually any RPM. A closer look reveals some wavy metal along the top of the right rear wheel arch. Just forward of the arch is a significant crease in the body just aft of the door. Passenger door is now "sticky" when opening. Rear hatch jammed shut.

Police officer responds just as numb nuts questions why I even called the cops, and is threatening to leave. Insurance paperwork he provides the officer is expired. My car carries comprehensive due to it being totaled late last summer by hail. Pretty sure I'm fuched.

Obviously could have been much worse. Car still drives just fine, but this hit combined with golf ball-sized hail damage is starting to take its toll. Starting to refer to her as the "War Wagon"... a moniker undeserved by any self-respecting 944.
Attached Images      
Old 02-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Check under your trunk carpet - I bet you have a wrinkle...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

that sucks.
based on your description of the sheet metal creasing and sticky door/hatch your tub is bent.
maybe fixable on a rack but maybe easier to find another shell...if it bugs you.

car running and driving still is good though.
also i am jealous that you can fit those wheels on your car - they are the wrong offset for me but i covet them so...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you got hit. Thankfully you're ok.

I've had some close calls in the 944 with people not paying attention or not seeing the car when I'm stopped. I have started doing the same thing in the car as I do on the my motorcycle. Stay back from the vehicle in front of me a bit so I have an exit and watch behind me until someone pulls up and stops.

Picked up a new hatch that has the 3rd brake light. Very tempted to find a 2000+ lumen LED to put in it...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad you are OK, yada, yada.

I have always windered this so maybe the questions can be answered here.

You are in traffic, know a rear-ender is coming. Agree, head back against head rest.

Now, brake on or off. Plant hoth feet on floor or brace with brake and clutch pedal?

With no airbag in my '86, cinch seatbelt? Hands on wheel at 3 and 9?

This wandering mind is wondering.

(If you get on Judge Judy, let us know.)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Check under your trunk carpet - I bet you have a wrinkle...
Just went out to check, but can't open the hatch, and I've got a spare carpet set back there right now, so access is a bit limited. Will have a closer look later.

Originally Posted by pdxfj
Sorry to hear you got hit. Thankfully you're ok.

I've had some close calls in the 944 with people not paying attention or not seeing the car when I'm stopped. I have started doing the same thing in the car as I do on the my motorcycle. Stay back from the vehicle in front of me a bit so I have an exit and watch behind me until someone pulls up and stops.

Picked up a new hatch that has the 3rd brake light. Very tempted to find a 2000+ lumen LED to put in it...
My hatch has the third brake light, albeit not LED equipped. I've often wondered if my silver/gray car suffered from a "camouflaged" effect against the backdrop of asphalt on the streets. Idiot drivers notwithstanding, I may have my answer.

I make a habit of leaving plenty of space in front of me when I stop in traffic as well. (Case in point, no front end damage due to being shoved into the car ahead of me in this case.). Unfortunately, traffic in the thru lane immediately to my right was traveling fast and heavy, allowing no escape route. Raised median to my left...

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Glad you are OK, yada, yada.

I have always windered this so maybe the questions can be answered here.

You are in traffic, know a rear-ender is coming. Agree, head back against head rest.

Now, brake on or off. Plant hoth feet on floor or brace with brake and clutch pedal?

With no airbag in my '86, cinch seatbelt? Hands on wheel at 3 and 9?

This wandering mind is wondering.

(If you get on Judge Judy, let us know.)
Can only speak for myself and my experience. Head back and waited. Was waiting for traffic to start moving, so car was in gear with clutch and brake depressed. Can't say I can accurately recall where my hands were, but likely left hand near 10-11 o'clock, right hand on the shifter, ready to start shifting as traffic flow resumed.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by EJZero1
Just went out to check, but can't open the hatch
This is a pretty good indication it's more bent than you realize. Probably needs $3k of time on a frame machine, then another $3k in paint.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 PM
M3loco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creases are not good. Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the other driver was at fault, did he get a ticket?
I guess it can't be totaled again, so just see what his insurance pays and take the cash. Get another tub and change the parts.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Bummer
Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by M3loco
Creases are not good. Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the other driver was at fault, did he get a ticket?
I guess it can't be totaled again, so just see what his insurance pays and take the cash. Get another tub and change the parts.
Other driver definitely at fault. If that ever comes into question, I've got a pretty credible witness. Right after I get out of the car after impact, another driver slows down with his head out the window yelling that the driver that hit me had just blown by him driving like a maniac. In my mental fog, I'm thinking, "Thanks. Too bad I'll never see you again." A few minutes later, this same guy pulls up and stops in the opposite direction lanes after turning around at the next block. Turns out he's an off duty police officer.

Other driver was given two tickets. One for whatever the equivalent of inattentive driving, and the other for expired insurance paperwork. Let's just hope it's just the paperwork that's expired, and not the policy...
Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad he got tickets, the off duty cop as a witness was icing on the cake Too bad being criminally stupid while hitting a classic car isn't a capital crime in this country. DMV will probably want to talk to him too about his insurance if he let it lapse. My state starts fining you heavily the second your policy expires.
Interesting thought about your car's color. My S2 is Stone Gray and I refer to it's color as road camouflage, the same color as faded asphalt it doesn't stand out a mile away like the red one Is that a Thunderbirds T-38 in your aviator? Your other ride perhaps?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Is that a Thunderbirds T-38 in your aviator? Your other ride perhaps?
Thunderbird F-16 in the avatar. I'm an Air Traffic Controller and made a deal with the airfield manager for the photo op a few years back when the T-Birds came to town.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

There are plenty of tubs out there for next to nothing. There is a Guy in the Rochester NY area that advertises on Craigslist. He and his son buy 944's from the auctions and part them out.. They end up with plenty of tubs. I have one in my woods now and one suspended from the rafters in my shed, just in case I run out of talent on the track.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you called his insurance company to check if his policy is even active? i would have done that as soon as i got his card. (where he was within shouting distance) Also you didnt mention what he was driving
Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by carlege
have you called his insurance company to check if his policy is even active? i would have done that as soon as i got his card. (where he was within shouting distance) Also you didnt mention what he was driving
Turned it over to my insurance company who has initiated contact with his. Checked in with mine today, and no response from his company thus far. Will check back again tomorrow.

He was driving a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

I fully expect to be screwed here.
1). My car was already totaled due to hail damage last year.
2). I doubt this guy even had coverage.
3). Even if he did have coverage, I'm sure his company will exploit item #1 above.

Anything of a remotely more positive outcome would be a surprise to me, but it doesn't hurt to hope.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended Yesterday