Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did my timing belt, now I see a camshaft tower oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Just did my timing belt, now I see a camshaft tower oil leak

Venting more than anything. But last weekend I did my timing belt for the first time after growing nervous enough about the previous owners time frame estimates.

Well the damn thing looked brand new but it was easier than I expected to replace. So no problem.

I have been getting an occasional burning smell. I didnt know what it was, but last night it became very clear to me that oil is leaking from the camshaft housing onto the exhaust manifold. So crap. It looks like this would have been easy to do while I was doing the timing belt but I'm considering it a blessing as I had decided to skip the cam advance key to keep the timing belt simple, but when I'm doing the gasket I might as well do the key.

I won't have a second set of hands available for getting the cam cheesehead bolt out. Would my best bet be to just plan on drilling it out?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

1) if it is leaking along the "perimeter" try just re-tightening all the bolts first, sometimes they can wiggle loose and leak just a bit.
2) if you can find a 1-1/4" combination wrench you can use it to hold the big "nut" on the cam gear still while you break loose the cheesehead. use the car body or some wood or something braced against the car somewhere to keep the big wrench from moving.
3) clean the cheese bolt head out completely and tap the head with a steel hammer a few times, and then use the hammer to tap the cheese bit firmly into place in the bolt head so it doesn't strip out.
4) ideally you would replace the cheese bolt with a new one but you can get away re-using the one you have if it survives the ordeal.
5) this is a good time to clean and paint the housing your favorite color
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

It may be leaking from that little cap in the back, which has three M6 bolts (10mm head) and a cork gasket. Make sure they're all snug.

When I remove the cam cheese head bolt, I put an open end wrench (it's a long one) on the "nut" and put my cheese head bit on a breaker bar. I then position the two so I can squeeze them together like a giant scissor. But Spencer's advice to brace one of them against the car body is also good.

Quick Reply: Just did my timing belt, now I see a camshaft tower oil leak