Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut towers dancing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Strut towers dancing?

Hi all,

Has anyone actually instrumented and recorded what happens to the 944 strut towers when driven hard. I understand from searching that the braces actually do add rigidity to the chassis. Do the towers spread apart or move together? Also, what motion in the towers is controlled by the Turbo S gussets that were added.

Thanks,
Gord.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I know that I can't put my strut bar on when the car is on a lift - the towers spread apart about 1/8".
Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Interesting Van!

----

STOLEN (I stole this):

"Originally Posted by Oddjob

Ive been equally skeptical of any single modification that is marketed as a “big” improvement. But here is my current thinking on Strut Tower Bars.

Stiffening up the chassis, to reduce chassis flex probably has different effects on handling characteristics than does changing spring rates and sway bar settings.

Chassis stiffening can be accomplished by several means and to several levels of severity. Installing a roll cage (various types from bolt-in to custom welded in) all the way up to seam welding the body panels will stiffen a car up. Although it can alter the handling characteristics of the car because there is less body flex to account/compensate for with other suspension settings and setups, I would not necessarily consider this tuning the suspension.

With the front shock towers, the concern is that the outside shock tower deflects outward under corner loading. So if that is the case, it will change the camber on the outside wheel to a more positive wheel angle. Depending on the initial camber setting, this could reduce grip. So in theory, if the strut tower movement is reduced/limited by adding a STB, it could keep the alignment settings from deflecting (outside of the change inherent to a McPherson strut), which could actually make the car turn-in better (…?).

Now how much does a non-supported shock tower deflect? Who knows? How much does that deflection adversely affect handling? Does a STB offer that much chassis stiffening to actually improve handling?

I don’t know. Just like I don’t know how much (quantitatively) a full cage stiffens a chassis or how much seam welding does. Some people say you can really feel the difference, others say you cannot.

Keep in mind that the frame design of these cars goes back to the 924 in the early-mid 70’s. I don’t think the tub of the car was ever really altered/reinforced since that initial design. Porsche never intended the street cars to be run with solid bushings, 500 lb/in springs, 18” 245/285 Hoosiers. In a DE/Race application, my guess is that there probably is quite of bit of body flex - e.g. Ive seen a rear quarter window shatter on a 944S2 during a race practice.

When the factory did race the cars, they installed a strut brace (in the Turbo Cups and S2 Club Sports). And take a look at Jason B’s 968TRS and see the weld-in cage that the factory installed. See the pick-up points that the factory reinforced. They ran roll bar tubing out through the firewall to the shock towers and also used a STB to reinforce them. My guess is that the factory felt there must be some movement there in racing applications.

I was forced off track at my last club race and my car hit a berm. The right front shock tower was pushed up and inward. I pulled the motor and front suspension out to have the frame straightened. Also, the heat shielding was removed from the engine bay, and the fender came off. If you take a good look at the way the front frame members and shock towers are made, how thin the sheet metal is (and where it flexed and bent on my car), that its all just spot welded together - its amazing these cars hold together as well as they do (it looks weak). So, I will be adding a STB when rebuilding the car.

Depending on your type/level of driving you may or may not notice anything with adding a STB. I would think that for street use on street tires, you will never corner hard enough to deflect the shock towers enough to feel a difference in handling. In auto-x, DE, and racing, its quite possible that a car with big, fat R-compound tires, upgraded suspension, etc may be able to corner hard enough to noticeably deflect the shock towers. If that’s the case, then the car/driver could potentially benefit from a STB. "
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
AgLiftPilot
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bimmerworld recently tried to figure out how much the strut towers moved on a SpecE46 race car at VIR. They were able to actually gather data and make some conclusions. It was obvious from the data that the strut towers do deflect a good amount but this was in a track scenario with a fully prepped race car.

http://news.bimmerworld.com/is-a-strut-brace-worth-it/
Old 12-27-2016, 01:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Interesting Van!

----

STOLEN (I stole this):

"Originally Posted by Oddjob

Ive been equally skeptical of any single modification that is marketed as a “big” improvement. But here is my current thinking on Strut Tower Bars.

Stiffening up the chassis, to reduce chassis flex probably has different effects on handling characteristics than does changing spring rates and sway bar settings.

Chassis stiffening can be accomplished by several means and to several levels of severity. Installing a roll cage (various types from bolt-in to custom welded in) all the way up to seam welding the body panels will stiffen a car up. Although it can alter the handling characteristics of the car because there is less body flex to account/compensate for with other suspension settings and setups, I would not necessarily consider this tuning the suspension.

With the front shock towers, the concern is that the outside shock tower deflects outward under corner loading. So if that is the case, it will change the camber on the outside wheel to a more positive wheel angle. Depending on the initial camber setting, this could reduce grip. So in theory, if the strut tower movement is reduced/limited by adding a STB, it could keep the alignment settings from deflecting (outside of the change inherent to a McPherson strut), which could actually make the car turn-in better (…?).

Now how much does a non-supported shock tower deflect? Who knows? How much does that deflection adversely affect handling? Does a STB offer that much chassis stiffening to actually improve handling?

I don’t know. Just like I don’t know how much (quantitatively) a full cage stiffens a chassis or how much seam welding does. Some people say you can really feel the difference, others say you cannot.

Keep in mind that the frame design of these cars goes back to the 924 in the early-mid 70’s. I don’t think the tub of the car was ever really altered/reinforced since that initial design. Porsche never intended the street cars to be run with solid bushings, 500 lb/in springs, 18” 245/285 Hoosiers. In a DE/Race application, my guess is that there probably is quite of bit of body flex - e.g. Ive seen a rear quarter window shatter on a 944S2 during a race practice.

When the factory did race the cars, they installed a strut brace (in the Turbo Cups and S2 Club Sports). And take a look at Jason B’s 968TRS and see the weld-in cage that the factory installed. See the pick-up points that the factory reinforced. They ran roll bar tubing out through the firewall to the shock towers and also used a STB to reinforce them. My guess is that the factory felt there must be some movement there in racing applications.

I was forced off track at my last club race and my car hit a berm. The right front shock tower was pushed up and inward. I pulled the motor and front suspension out to have the frame straightened. Also, the heat shielding was removed from the engine bay, and the fender came off. If you take a good look at the way the front frame members and shock towers are made, how thin the sheet metal is (and where it flexed and bent on my car), that its all just spot welded together - its amazing these cars hold together as well as they do (it looks weak). So, I will be adding a STB when rebuilding the car.

Depending on your type/level of driving you may or may not notice anything with adding a STB. I would think that for street use on street tires, you will never corner hard enough to deflect the shock towers enough to feel a difference in handling. In auto-x, DE, and racing, its quite possible that a car with big, fat R-compound tires, upgraded suspension, etc may be able to corner hard enough to noticeably deflect the shock towers. If that’s the case, then the car/driver could potentially benefit from a STB. "
Written by my friend Jim who Club Races a 944 turbo in Rothmans black, red, and blue livery.
He is also the former caretaker and long time owner of my low mile, street driven '89- 951 - M030 in Satin Black Metallic. He is a VERY good racer, an excellent mechanic, a knowledgeable and likeable fellow.
I do know this: he and his Dad put together some of the most fearsomely competitive cars and ran them at our local Porsche Club D/Es and autocrosses as well as Club Raced their product on a high speed 3 mile asphalt and macadam track.

Trust what wisdom this guy imparts; a fool he is NOT

Jim, if you read this, please say a few words and introduce yourself
Old 12-28-2016, 03:45 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding the strut tower brace was felt more than any other mod or refresh I've done (stiffer springs, bigger sway, new bushings and strut inserts).
Old 12-28-2016, 10:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

if you do a strut brace, would suggest doing a "lower caster block brace" as well to really stiffen the front of the car up.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+1. My 90 S2 Cab with a double floor pan was like driving a flying carpet after driving my 951s. After strut and caster block braces were installed, handling was significantly improved.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I know that I can't put my strut bar on when the car is on a lift - the towers spread apart about 1/8".
I thought it just meant that it was a "worn out tub".

That's the thread that gave us our chumpcar team name. WOT racing

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.ph...0242770aeeb262
Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
same - I welded in a replica turbo cup strut bar to my car and it only goes together when the car is on the ground.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Don, but I can't live up to your compliments.

Noah - where did you find that post? Has to be from 10+ years ago since the wreck mentioned was in 2005.

Aglift - interesting link, thanks for that.

As with Sam and Van, I have measured the tower deflection when a 944 is lifted, and the towers spread at least 1/8" when unloaded. I recall measuring up to 3/16" and I think Chris White also confirmed numbers at least that or higher.

The Turbo S triangular supports in front of the towers are an interesting addition. I can't say I know that they were installed to reduce shock tower movement or if they were intended to stiffen the frame rails in front of the shock towers due to sway bar loading.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The Turbo S triangular supports in front of the towers are an interesting addition. I can't say I know that they were installed to reduce shock tower movement or if they were intended to stiffen the frame rails in front of the shock towers due to sway bar loading.
They are "in plane" with the shock towers/frame rails - so they do nothing to stiffen what a strut tower brace does (which is perpendicular to that plane).
Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed. My comment above was a noncommittal response to Murray's question. My actual belief is that they were intended to stiffen the front frame rails in reaction to the forces from the swaybar mounting brackets. But I can't prove that. They were first added to the 87 Cups when the 30mm front sway bar was put in use.

Last edited by Oddjob; 12-30-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
if you do a strut brace, would suggest doing a "lower caster block brace" as well to really stiffen the front of the car up.
Great suggestion... I didn't know these existed!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:22 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

( Add humility to that list of accolades about Jim ..... )

And Thanks again for a GREAT 951. I do feel very privileged to be it's current steward and am thankful you gave me that opportunity as well.

How is progress coming on your CUP car ? Will we see it at an upcoming event ?

Quick Reply: Strut towers dancing?