Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter check

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
Does anyone know if this video is applicable to our style of lifters?
Originally Posted by kevin12973
KVDR, wow! Thanks for sharing that video. I think I will give this a try. I got three engines to practice on lol...
The process used in that video will not work for our lifters. We do not have a spring clip holding the inner plunger in place, ours are peened into the outer housing so tapping on a wooden block will not budge the plunger.

944 Lifter
Old 12-05-2016, 09:43 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats disappointing . Damn it.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Thats disappointing . Damn it.
If you are very careful I suppose you could remove the peened metal with a dremel then peen them back in using a different spot around the circumference.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by Van
Egg cartons are great for labeling and keeping lifters organized.
Good tip.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
I don't know if these are Porsche or not.. Since he refers to VW in the subscript. However they appear to be an INA lifted like we use
I recognize them as VW 8V lifters (maybe not exclusively VW, but used in VWs nonetheless).
I was going to say that the 944 ones looked to me to have a different style at least, but MAGK944 confirmed it's more than just looks that are different.

As for the video... I like the idea of pre-oiling the lifters from an initial lubrication standpoint, but "pre-filling" them to purge the air is pointless. The guy in the video doesn't seem to get this, he's correct about letting them bleed down before firing the engine, but doesn't seem to realize that when they do, inevitably some air will get in anyway. Lifters do not live in a vacuum. He's basically tediously recreating a process manually that happens within the first few seconds of starting the engine. Although lifters are not flow-through per se, it's also not actually correct that the "same oil will be trapped in them for a long time", either. Every time a lifter bleeds down naturally (from sitting), there is at least a partial oil/air exchange as the lifter "pumps back up".

Air will get purged the same way it does in any other part of the oiling system, - when pressurized oil forces it out. The check valve is only closed under load from the cam lobe, otherwise it's open to cycle oil in/air out. I have seen all kinds of crazy methods people go to with syringes and stuff trying to "pre-fill" lifters and I'm like YGBSM. I mean, it doesn't hurt anything (unless the lifters are overextended), but there are simply better uses of our time.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought that was pretty dumb to prefill the lifters too. I'm sure they didn't have someone at the factory taking them all apart and filling them with oil prior to putting them in the engine!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:55 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Neunfunfeins, thanks for that great write up! Do you have any suggestions on cleaning the inside of lifters ?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I thought that was pretty dumb to prefill the lifters too. I'm sure they didn't have someone at the factory taking them all apart and filling them with oil prior to putting them in the engine!
depends which Union they belong to...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:41 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Neunfunfeins, thanks for that great write up! Do you have any suggestions on cleaning the inside of lifters ?
Good question.
Nothing would beat complete disassembly, but given the lack of a retaining ring and the peening complications with these, easier said than done.
Next to that, I'd go ultrasonic.
If all else fails, I suppose there's repeated soaking/agitating in a solvent bath, but that's sub-optimal, and you'd want to make sure you got everything out including the solvent.
You might hear or read about various shadetree methods of adding chemicals to your engine oil prior to an oil change to "flush all the crud out of your system", but I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
depends which Union they belong to...
Not this Auto Union

Quick Reply: Lifter check