Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My front speaker install and mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My front speaker install and mod

So you will need the following - some aluminum flat bar about 1/16 inch thick some craft tubing and a tubing cutter. You will also need some leather and some adhesive. You will also need a vice so that you can bend in the aluminum and some large sockets to make the radii match the speaker cover

Here is the aluminum flat bar after I bent it, make sure the splice is at the bottom of the speaker cover so it won't telegraph through the leather when you're done and be able to be seen. The idea is that there is a groove around the perimeter on the back of the speaker cover and that is where the flat bar will fit and be held in place by.

Here is a test fit.

Prepare the aluminum by sanding it so that the adhesive has something bind to.

So take your tubing and make some extensions. You will need these so that when you tighten the speaker cover they press against the speakers mounting plate and keep it the speaker in place.

Here is the finished aluminum ring with the leather attached to it and the standoffs that I fabricated from the metal tubing

Set the speaker in the whole

I forgot to mention you will need screws that are about 3/8 of an inch longer. The aluminum spacer is about 1/2 inch wider. You can't go more than about 1/2 inch for the spacer or The speaker cover will hit the interior dash cover on the side. Also you may or may not need the little black Porsche spacers - I did not use them.

In the end you have a trim ring and spacer that looks like it matches the rest of the leather and your speaker doesn't hit the grill anymore
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job. Let us know if it interferes with your leg any.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

It doesn't seem to so far.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Outstanding!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:07 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great modification! What was your approximate materials cost? Looks like I've got a new project to do soon.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Thanks, the approx. costs are as follows:

Tubing* : $12 - Michaels
Tube cutter: $8
Aluminum flat bar x2 : $4 each (36" each) - Home Depot
Glue: $4 - Michaels
Leather (by far thr most expensive part) $30 (after 40% coupon) - Michaels

* I have since changed out the aluminum tubing for small segments of vacuum hose just large enough to fit the screw. I then added a small washer, this way you are assured of a tight fit.

Also when you put the leather on hold it back from the edge of the aluminum flat bar that fits into the cover a little less than 1/16" in or you run the risk of bunching up the leather.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might I suggest just cutting a spacer out of mdf? It's dense and easy to work with via a router. That is how I usually make baffles/spacer rings for my speaker installs.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

There is hardly any clearance (less than 1/16") between the face of tha aluminum and the edge of the speaker. It would seem that would make it difficult to get the wood that thin, but I suppose if your handy with wood tools you could figure a way out, especially if you don't mind fabbing your own grill. I don't really have wood tools so I ended up with this.

Quick Reply: My front speaker install and mod