Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear HVAC plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:19 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear HVAC plate

Are these available anywhere as a separate piece? Mine is in the process of disintegration.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
GWright
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine a few months ago and had no luck finding one. However, I was able to find a complete European non-ac unit on ebay with the acrylic plate in good shape. I took both units apart and switched the acrylic over. You'll have to de-solder the AC and defrost/recirc buttons though, unless you have the late style with pull-out switches. Be very careful not to overheat the switches soldering them back in place.

The euro style climate units have the blue-red gradient around the temp **** instead of the numbers.

Broken Acrylic on HVAC unit, European parts donor in the background

Last edited by GWright; 10-17-2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add image
Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately this *was* a separate part and is still listed in the PET but is very much NLA. If you have any contacts in Porsche Classic, it would be worth reaching out to them and let them know the community needs this piece. Anymore, I'm surprised when I find a HVAC control unit with a good condition clear plate. I've tried emailing [email]contact@porsche.de[\email] to inform them of parts that are no longer in production but very much needed in the aftermarket but have had mixed results. On a side note, if you contact your local dealership and request the part, Porsche will remanufacture them if they can get sufficient interest. This is how the 968 CS coin tray was brought back to market.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:42 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They would be an easy piece to make on a 3d printer. If anyone can get me an .stl file of one, I can make it.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:33 PM
FourtyFourNZ
Track Day

Depending on the complexity/importance of those snaps it may also be possible to machine it from some acrylic?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM
porscharu
Pro

Originally Posted by GWright
The euro style climate units have the blue-red gradient around the temp **** instead of the numbers.
How ironic North America got Celsius and Europe got blue to red. It must have made it more exotic in the states to have to decode the temps, but why even make two different parts? Blue to red would have sufficed for both markets.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Originally Posted by azbanks
They would be an easy piece to make on a 3d printer. If anyone can get me an .stl file of one, I can make it.
That would be awesome. It would have to be something pretty stiff. I don't have a file, but could you make one from a good plate?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Someone else was looking at making those a while back. I guess it never happened. My Japanese market 968 had Celsius marked on the HVAC but there's a chance the PO swapped it with one from a NZ market 944 turbo. It's in my 944 now.

Gwright, do you still have the non-A/C HVAC controller? (minus the clear plate you used of course)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:42 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Lachlan
That would be awesome. It would have to be something pretty stiff. I don't have a file, but could you make one from a good plate?
I can print in nylon which is pretty stiff. It would be white instead of clear but that should not matter.

I would need a 3d scanner to make a file from a good plate and I have not picked up a 3d scanner at this point. OTOH, I have a good CAD program. I might be able to design one on that.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the material you need to print this:
http://taulman3d.com/t-glase-spec.html

I have a roll in blue, never tried it. I'll whip up a rough sketch and try printing it tonight.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 PM
KVDR
Pro

Really rough guess at dimensions.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Originally Posted by KVDR
Really rough guess at dimensions.

Go, printer, Go!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 AM
KVDR
Pro

Print feels pretty good. Not brittle, decently strong, and enough flexibility to include the snap fit design.

Will never achieve true transparency due to multiple print layers, but clear filament should improve light transmission.

Looks like there's some detail on the backside, including fine teeth - these would be impossible to print (with most home printers). Are they necessary?

How much work is it to dig into my dash and remove the original for measurements? Do I even want to do this and risk breaking my own?

Does someone have one handy and can sketch out the dimensions?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 AM
GWright
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's actually a ton of detail in these, I looked into cutting one from flat acrylic, as well as creating a mold and pouring clear acrylic into a mold. The edges of the acrylic piece have tabs that the trim cover clips on to, and on the back it has the clips that the rear housing attaches with. Also the dial face graphics are raised and adhered to it as well. It was much easier to purchase the donor parts and swap it out.

Some pics that show more detail:

Full album of the swap process here: http://imgur.com/a/gI0WL

J1NX3D, I dug around for what I had left, but I suspect it was the victim of a "cleanup" of my workbench, as all I can find are the two round *****. It seems to always be the case that I'll hang on to something for ages, then finally get rid of it just before it's needed again.

Last edited by GWright; 10-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:15 PM
KVDR
Pro

Okay, I TOTALLY understand why these break. Brittle and yet firmly attached, hidden clips in/around fan dial.

I risked my near perfect HVAC plate for you guys - one of my greatest achievements in life was disassembling this without breaking anything.

Is all this white goop normal?

A few broken tabs by whoever was in here before me.

Pretty confident I can print this, locking tabs and all.

I suppose I'll need to get some stickers printed up.

I'll update my crude model and try another print in blue. I should have some clear filament early next week.
The following users liked this post:
Voith (12-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Clear HVAC plate