Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaks...joy. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leaks...joy. Pics

The oil leaks got worse in the last couple of weeks so I did an inspection. As suspected the oil pan gasket didn't last more than 6 months. I also have pooling of oily water at the bottom of the J tube...weird.

I'm not sure if the RMS also is out but it hasn't been an issue yet. It may be but not to the point I'm going to deal with it yet. Looks like I might have too much blow by too? Ugh

Chris
Attached Images          
Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

That is pretty oily. Why are there oil pan bolts missing? Were they torqued properly?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Oh my goodness I didn't notice that! Yes they were but clearly one wasn't.

I bet it had the same problem as the 83 did at first. When I did the torque per the shop manual on the 83 by the time I did them all if I checked again they were all loose. It took me 3 tries to get all bolts to remain at torque.

Clearly that needs to be done with the S.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Yes, that has to be done with all 944 oil pan gaskets. I redo every torque stage many, many times - until I'm confident that they're all at that torque, before moving onto the next stage. It has to do with how the rubber gasket compresses.

I bet they're all loose (to the point of falling out!) and that's why it's leaking.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:30 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

see if the lower balance shaft rear seal needs attention also
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Yes, that has to be done with all 944 oil pan gaskets. I redo every torque stage many, many times - until I'm confident that they're all at that torque, before moving onto the next stage. It has to do with how the rubber gasket compresses.

I bet they're all loose (to the point of falling out!) and that's why it's leaking.
Oddly a few I checked were tight. I guess I could try re torquing everything but now that it's compressed oddly I doubt that would work.

As for the rear balance shaft seals I couldn't detect anything that indicated immediate attention. It is on the list but not immediately...probably next major service with water pump and front seals...at least I have the Loctite readily available.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
Oddly a few I checked were tight. I guess I could try re torquing everything but now that it's compressed oddly I doubt that would work.
I bet it will work - if the gasket is pretty new, it will be supple enough to recompress. I don't know if you recall from installing it, but every bolt goes through a little aluminum standoff. What happens is the gasket eventually (after many torquings) compresses to the height of those standoffs. Then there's enough pressure between the rubber and the metal surfaces to keep the oil inside.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Thanks Van it is worth a shot! I won't get to it tilll next week.

I'm curious about the watery oil condensation at the bottom of the plastic J tube. I also think the dipstick leaks despite using three O rings. I may add some sealant.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:52 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I redo every torque stage many, many times - until I'm confident that they're all at that torque, before moving onto the next stage.
Van, what torque sequence do you use?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I made probably 6 passes on all of the bolts before i stopped getting any more turns.

Also verify you have the hoses for the ISV and oil breather connected correctly. Its very easy to mix the two up and pressurize the oil pan.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

What's outlined in the FSM. But, basically, start in the middle and work your way out. Repeat several times for each torque setting.

Go to 20:20 in my rod bearing video:

Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I made probably 6 passes on all of the bolts before i stopped getting any more turns.

Also verify you have the hoses for the ISV and oil breather connected correctly. Its very easy to mix the two up and pressurize the oil pan.
Well oddly everything else seemed tight but regardless I redid every bolt. As for hoses for the ISV on the 16V I only see one way they can possibly go so I don't think that's an issue.

What got me thinking is somehow the crankcase is becoming too pressurized by blow-by? I took it out today and will inspect it later but I could still smell that burnt oil smell which usually means it's hitting the exhaust.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

What type of gasket was used?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:41 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
What type of gasket was used?
Just he plain old VictorReinz.

I should add that the excessive leaks are new. I had some leakage near the exhaust for a while but it was a slight weep. This was there soon after the gasket change back in April. If the re-torque didn't take then i will need to change it out again. Not a fun job but at least I have a converted steering rack so no hoses to disconnect.

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 10-19-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:07 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are other places that can be leaking which make their way down to the oil pan. One is the rear cam tower (cork gasket). It is a bit of a magic trick to tighten it, for whoever last did the work. The other sneaky places are the AOS and balance shaft near it (upper?). Both can pool oil on the block where you absolutely cannot see it with the intake in place, and work their way down the back of the block.

Of course the oil pan gasket is always difficult and the world's biggest PITA to get to.

Quick Reply: Oil leaks...joy. Pics