Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I find something rare? 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:31 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Did I find something rare? 951

always wanted a 951, always looking at them and will buy one day (maybe soon if this is truly rare)

I happened on a 1987 Turbo in white with light grey interior with a sunroof delete, besides that on the option tag it says C78, and ED0. I can't find out what these options are but the car appears to have sport seats as well. I ordered a vin decode from Suncoast but won't get it until maybe Monday of next week. If this is "Special" I may jump now.

The car has 139K miles on it and NO history, runs well (to me) will need a good cleaning and I know timing belt and water pump (preventive, since no history)

Asking price is 12K (I think high considering no records) what do you guys think?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
06C2s
Racer

Wow 100 views and nothing...maybe wrong place?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, no probably the right place but it's Saturday... gotta give people time to respond. I'm fairly new here myself but I've noticed responses aren't always commensurate with # of views, and can be slow coming.

Sunroof delete and Sport Seats are great pluses. Hard for anyone to say if 12K is fair for the car without seeing it in detail or being able to tell anything about its condition or what's been serviced on it. Or if it has any other desirable options/upgrades (you could list them for us).

With that mileage and a non-'S', for 12K it should be in pretty decent condition.
You probably need to do your own research/comps to decide if it seems right to you.

Remember, it's only an asking price. Market will determine what it's actually worth.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

US spec cars with sunroof delete are rare.

If sunroof delete is something important to you, I'd say jump on it, because it'll be a while until you find another one. But of course, get a PPI and do a test drive first, only buy it if it's worth buying!

Sport seats are not very common, but much more so than sunroof delete. Then again, those seats could be installed by a previous owner.

Light grey... not sure. Got any pics of car (exterior & interior)?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:55 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Wrong forum, we have a 944 turbo and turbo S forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...bo-s-forum-72/
Old 09-25-2016, 12:46 PM
06C2s
Racer

I Guess I should have been more specific, what I really want is some information as to how rare this car is. In the 911 world, certain options make a car MUCH more desirable than others.

The option codes I got off the sticker are as follows

Color L90E/ (Alpine White)
Interior LQ (Light grey, looks beige)
codes,
C78= no idea
ED0= no idea but some research suggest it is several items put together as an "Exclusive" package (waiting for information from Suncoast)
158=Blaup. radio (still there)
220=Limited slip diff
474=Sport shock absorbers
533=Alarm sys
946=Leather/leatherette seats

I ran a carfax (i know its not worth much) no accidents reported and looks like 4 owners

I was not planning on picking up a 944 for a couple more years as I have other projects but if this is truly something "special" I would pick it up now

Thanks for the replys and I will also post in the turbo forum.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:58 PM
06C2s
Racer

Trying the turbo forum as well but here is the only pic I took of the car
Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Sunroof delete is worth it on its own.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:24 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you have a special car indeed.

The c78 code designates an emissions pkg. for the country or state imported into.

ED0 is a pkg containing a group of options pkg, used by Porsche for marketing and sales bundling. It may have an alarm or a security delete, maybe a rear seat delete, console delete, rear window wiper delete, or undercoat/rust prevention deletes ? Do you know ? It may also include a larger than normal torsion bar add, bigger sway bar adds along with the Sport Shocks and springs.

My guess is since it's a factory delete or 'smooth top' and hardly any in the 951 came from the factory except made to order competition cars or team track set-up or tire test cars, and this may be one of those. It could also be an ex-PCA Instructors car such as the one sunroof delete/ delete special I own, which came from Porsche with a big rear wing, no sound deadener, deleted sunroof, gas cap lock, console, cigarette lighter. The plastic hood, fenders, bumpers and front valance were added and two more sets of wheels came with the grouping and sold with a 'bill of sale' only arrangement with a knowing buyer and a dealer in the 'know' who had it going on with Porsche's competition department. Little is known of these cars if they later got spun back into the consumer community after race series which supported them dissolved and teams sold off cars to wholesalers or 'club' hobbyists. I know of one early Clubsport 951 in Colorado, very bent and war torn which also later became a regular street driven sportscar wearing plates. It happened much more frequently back in the day than now.

If you have the money laying around and want a unique car, buy it. The story you may uncover later may well be worth the risk; personally I wouldn't hesitate. There are virtually NO 951s in America which originally came that way into the continent, especially with Sport seats, LSD, and sport suspension. I recommend buying it and getting the rest of the story later; it could be really good, even if a monumental effort to uncover it.
Is it originally a white car with possibly manhole cover FUCHS, in 8 and 9 inch widths ? This would REALLY be the 'tell'.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:26 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ok

you just posted the photo of it while I was responding, and BANG !

the rest of the story.

BUY it now. Before it gets away .....

Does it have manual flag mirrors or air-con delete ? Maybe only one left hand outside mirror ?

--- also looks like regular 928 style 7 and 8 inch FUCHS are on it now. Which is a good thing as well just not as great as if they were an inch wider each. Also a rear wiper deleted hatch. Original ? or later ??
The interior color is Grey/Beige. I have the same in two of my cars, one being the 'delete package' car.

Make no mistake, THIS is a cool car, and usually the comp. cars came in white if they passed thru the Weissach build process.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

(okay, I'll delete the llink)

Last edited by KVDR; 09-25-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:04 PM
06C2s
Racer

Wow KVDR thanks for posting that for all to see.....lol was hoping to keep it a little quite so I could do some due diligence.

For all others thanks for the info, I will be making a offer as it does seem different enough to make it somewhat special.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:09 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Took me three seconds to find - anyone interested could have done the same, and it saves the rest of us playing the guessing game. Get it quick!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Wow KVDR thanks for posting that for all to see.....lol was hoping to keep it a little quite so I could do some due diligence.

For all others thanks for the info, I will be making a offer as it does seem different enough to make it somewhat special.
Dude, you have first dibs for sure. Nobody should be penalized for bringing a car to the community's attention and asking questions before purchase.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:42 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would probably be worth the asking price alone if the car was in fairly decent shape with just those seats and nothing else.. Never knew about the ED0 option.. Fascinating story! If it really is one of those, jump on it!

Edit: Even if it wasn't an ED0 car, I'd probably still buy it as it has all of the performance options that make a big difference on these cars. That other '86 Turbo in your area looks pretty good too but it lacks the limited slip and sport shocks.

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 09-25-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Did I find something rare? 951