Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this rattling sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM
4W4K3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by divil
BTW there's no cam chain tensioner in the 8v engine. There's only 1 cam and it's driven by the timing belt. Glad the noise turned out to be harmless though
Ah good, one less thing to worry about!

Thanks again for the help everyone. I'm starting to plan out the belt project now, I'm sure I'll run into some more questions.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ80
I've found that some people here are very quick to diagnose bearing noise (rod, crank, balance shaft, etc) for some reason. Almost every time the true cause ends up being something far less serious. I've had it happen to me a couple times. If you do a forum search, you'll typically find the same results.

That's not to say strange noises shouldn't be treated cautiously, but most cars that are driven in normal (non-track/competitive) conditions and have been well maintained simply do not face these catastrophic issues with any frequency.
it probably comes from those of us who have been around them in :

-track conditions
-shop repair facilities
-buying them second hand and seeing them start and run with bad rod brgs.

over the last 33-34 years. It happens far more often than it should.

In fact , of the several hundred 944s, 951s I have either worked on or went to look at with an engine noise, the problem usually turned out to be rod bearings. And only once did the noise come from something else. Balance shaft bearings.

Just the nature of the types of ownership of these cars and the vulnerability of moderate to higher mileage 944 engines with this issue.

Now, about the similar issue relating to hydro-locked engines from driving them in deep water or ditching them in water filled ditches along the road

seems these are far too common of occurrences to be happening to these great sportscars ~

I am very glad you sourced the noise to be coming from what you found. Personally I have never seen that issue surface, but I have seen numerous problems with the big end of the radiator hose move or become loose at the clamp or get nicked and leak, especially in cars with deleted b.s. belts or bad right hand motor mounts, thus causing vibrations to loosen clamps or fittings. Or crack fuel rails.

Quick Reply: What's this rattling sound?