Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Mount Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque Converter Mount Problem

Hello. Looking for guidance on an issue with my '88 944 automatic.

I am trying to solve a problem with a loud rattling coming from the torque tube bell housing in the rear. Others have described a "bag of marbles" sound, and that describes it well. It is only prevalent when idling, and is especially noticeable when the engine is shut down, as the rattling continues for a brief moment.

Other forum topics on similar symptoms suggest it is really the flex disk in the front, or a cracked plate on the torque converter mount. In my case, the problem is not the famous flex disk in the front, as I replaced that a couple of years ago.

I believe I have isolated the problem to the tongue converter mount, 94442111000. I have pulled the transmission, reinstalled the exhaust, and run the car both with and without the TC mount installed. Without the TC mount installed, it is quiet as can be. Thus, I don't think it is bad torque tube bearings. With the TC Mount installed, the noise is present and the same as when the transmission is installed. There do not appear to be any cracks, and no obvious damage to the bearing, but the noise is definitely originating from the TC mount.

So I ordered a brand new TC mount. And when I installed and tested it (again with transmission still out), it was still producing a similar noise. Not as bad as my original part, but still not "right". Much more noisy than when it is not installed. This new part did not appear to be "new", as it has signs on the collar of having been installed before, so I returned the part and got a second one--this one coming from Germany as the parts dealer did not have any more. And...this second new one also made about the same noise.

So I am really scratching my head. Wondering if there is a manufacturing problem with the new ones, and if I should try a used or rebuilt one (if I could find one). Or give up and live with it.

One other data point I should mention: when I replaced the flex disk, I used clutch components rather than the original flex disk ($$$). This has functionally worked very well. I can't imagine this is contributing to my noise at the TC mount, especially since everything upstream of the TC mount is so quiet when the TC mount is removed. But thought I should mention it.

Any insight or suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Thanks much.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Mount Problem