Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxilite Fuchs reps

Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maxilite Fuchs reps

Does anyone have any experience with Maxilite wheels? They're a Swiss company that makes cheapish Fuchs replicas. I'm sure they're just cast, not forged like actual Fuchs, but they're only $800-$900 for a full, new 16" set, as opposed to the ridiculous prices actual 16" Fuchs have been commanding lately.

I've got 15" genuine Fuchs wheels right now and I really love them, but tire selection is pretty limited. Larger diameter early offset Porsche wheels are hard to find and typically very expensive. Wondering if it would be worth it to just go with a cheap new set of replicas instead.

Opinions welcome.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

r-e-p-l-i-c-a

says it all for me.
over and out ~

oh.

And there will ALWAYS be a market for the real FUCHS. Can that be said for replicas ? Try and sell them later and see what they bring..........
Old 07-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I'm way more toward the "heretic" side of the purist spectrum than you, so I'm not super bothered about them being replicas, but that's a very valid point about resale value.

On the other hand, the difference in upfront cost is significant. If I considered my car an investment and was concerned about resale value above all else, I'd probably buy a nice 951 and be done with it.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

something else to consider besides the look and the resale value:

Strength and lightness. The originals are hammer forged alloy under pressure and fire with extreme strength built into them, something which a cast alloy wheel can never come close to replicating. They are expensive used ( about double what you are considering investing into new, but cast replicas) , but the expense is because OF value, not because of a perception of rarity or desirability.

One gets what they pay for. The originals earned their history built on racing and enduring.

Does the replica maker put forth such a claim ? Or are they being marketed because of profitability ? AND, does the Swiss maker actually MAKE them in Europe, or are they resourced overseas and built in China where most counterfeit items originate today? And, of usual questionable quality......
Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weight is definitely important. I've got 15 inch Fuchs, and a set of 17 inch Cup I's, and the weight gain of the Cup 1's is brutal on the car to the point where I feel they're unusable.

I'm sure these reps are far heavier than original, and that should be part of your consideration.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

I know the virtues of forged wheels, but I guess I figured I could get away with cast wheels (they are TUV certified, for what it's worth) since my car is solely street driven. You guys are making me reconsider, though.

I wish someone made a solid, lightweight, but affordable flow-cast wheel option for these cars. I had Enkei RPF1s on my Subaru, which were 17x8 but only weighed ~15lbs each and cost $1000 total, with newish tires. Definitely track proven, too. I actually considered 5x130 to 5x100 wheel adapters (yes, such a thing actually exists) instead of selling them, but that would've looked a little wrong, even for my tastes.

I don't know. I'll have to think about it. It's tough to justify putting $2000 wheels on a $3000 car, even if I can eventually get my money back.

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of aftermarket wheels. They're a different style, but last year I bought some 16" Epsilon Southern Way's. Still light weight and period correct. Look to the 911 guys. That's where I found mine. And for a good price.

Enkei 92's are also decent and occasionally come up. In fact, I think I know of a guy that might sell a set for $300-350. They might need a paint job, though.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't let greenjeans get to you, his points are valid, but hes not paying for them. If they fit your budget and you understand what you are getting, then go for it. Cast wheels are ok ,t hat doesn't mean they can't take the loads your car will put on them, hell my 10 spokes are cast and they are a factory porsche wheel on a car far faster than my S2. , just don't hit any big potholes since they are not as strong.

Resale wise? your replicas will sell since 23mm offset 16's are hard to come by all around.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM
carlege
Drifting

if you do get the replicas make sure you weigh them and let us know. Who knows they might be so good most people wont justify the cost of the OEM fuch's
Old 07-22-2016, 03:35 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

You could always go with early turbo phone dials to get a decent 16" wheel in early offset. Otherwise, you should be able to find a set of 16" Fuchs for around $1500 if you watch craigslist. You don't need the 951.xxx part number wheels for an n/a, the 911.xxx wheels will work.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

I just contacted Maxilite about weight. They got back to me within a couple minutes. Surprisingly, they're not too heavy. Heavier than actual Fuchs, but still not too bad. I'll ask them about the construction process next.

7x16: 16.31lbs
8x16: 17.42lbs

If I do end up pulling the trigger on these things, I'll be sure to weigh them myself to verify.

I've been scanning Craigslist and eBay for a while now. I'd love a set of 16" phone dials, but early offset ones don't come up very often and definitely cost a lot more than their 15" or late offset equivalents.
The following users liked this post:
DLook (09-19-2019)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Got another quick response:

"They are low pressure cast as modern day technology makes them just as good if not better than the 60's forged. We have quite a few people racing with these without any trouble, so they are quite tough. They also have TUV certification."
The following users liked this post:
DLook (09-19-2019)
Old 07-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Ooh, hold the phone. Looks like TireRack just added a new offering, the Starke SC16. They're also Fuchs replicas, and they're cheaper than the Maxilites. I've never heard of Starke, but the 997 guys seem to like them (different model though), and that's good enough for me:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ke-wheels.html

I asked the TireRack rep about weight and construction, but he said they won't know until the wheels become available on 8/4. If they turn out to be similar to the Maxilites, I might go with these instead.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:05 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
something else to consider besides the look and the resale value:

Strength and lightness. The originals are hammer forged alloy under pressure and fire with extreme strength built into them, something which a cast alloy wheel can never come close to replicating. They are expensive used ( about double what you are considering investing into new, but cast replicas) , but the expense is because OF value, not because of a perception of rarity or desirability.

One gets what they pay for. The originals earned their history built on racing and enduring.

Does the replica maker put forth such a claim ? Or are they being marketed because of profitability ? AND, does the Swiss maker actually MAKE them in Europe, or are they resourced overseas and built in China where most counterfeit items originate today? And, of usual questionable quality......
You make a good point. However, there is one thing that needs to be addressed with any old/used wheel. Especially a performance oriented one, and that is fatigue.

Wheels do fatigue. Under track conditions all wheels (including Fuchs) do bend inward under G-loads. After enough heat cycles, bending, stretching, bumps, etc., wheels can crack, split, bend, and shatter. Forged wheels are generally stronger than cast wheels, yes. But original Fuchs are not immune to fatigue. All wheels are susceptible, all the way up to BBS.

Nonetheless, I would steer away from a wheel made in China. There are some good wheels produced there, specifically those where production is overseen by a major company (OZ, BBS, and some OE now outsource wheel production to China). Some German car manufacturers do indeed use wheels made in China as original equipment. In those cases, I'm guessing QC is much stricter than lesser companies, but it is surprising nonetheless.

If you're using them for the track or performance driving, I would steer clear of any wheels made there mainly because of the unknown certification process and QC. I would also steer clear of used Fuchs (or any used wheel) with an unknown or heavy track history. And finally, if these are for the track, I would steer clear of just about any wheel that isn't a well-known brand.

If you're just driving around on these, your roads are smooth and they won't see high cornering forces, then you can be a little more lenient if you want.

At the end of the day, you'll always end up spending more on tires than on wheels (unless you constantly are breaking wheels). With that in mind, it's worthwhile to get some good quality wheels that last.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:17 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

i think replicas are fine as long as you do your research. I would go for 17's if going replica just for tyre selection. Fuch purists can spot a replica anyway.

The 911 fuchs on my 944 needed a lot of work when I had them refurbished last Dec. I won't be tracking them anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maxilite Fuchs reps