Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Old 06-06-2016, 02:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Several friends have asked me to put this up on Rennlist with photo documentation.....

A low mileage and unusual combination, in a car built in March of 1986 at Neckarsulm.

White with color matched FUCHS - 16 inch wheels. With leather Sport Seats in burgundy and a whole option code tag full of numbers.
Here are a few photos to identify the model, and it's complement of options :

Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Sorry about the car being a shade dirty, as it had just made a run around some mountain roads near Yellowstone, Billings, and by the Custer Battlefield this past weekend.

Photos were taken in the parking ramp of the historic 'Northern Hotel' in downtown Billings after it had emptied out. It had been nearly packed the night before for the annual "Stetsons and Stilletos" event, and there would have been no good reason to park it un-attended in a ramp full of 4 wheel drive, one ton ranch trucks and Escalades.

I'll post some more photos of this incredible sportscar, including interior shots and build tags soon.
It has the original Monroney window sticker from Porsche as well, showing it priced at a shade under 30,000 dollars in the spring of '86. Having bought this used myself, ALL credit goes to the previous owner(s) for its preserved state.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

It's missing a few small items like the seat release button/slider on the driver's side, the rubber plug on the cam housing inspection hole, a couple of valve stem supports on the FUCHS, and it needs new hood stays as they are weak.

Those strut stays are original to the car, as are all seating surfaces, carpets, floor-mat rugs, paint, even the wipers...... the cigar lighter has never been used, ashtray is spotless, and the aluminum and cad plated surfaces under hood look as if they came out of the factory yesterday.

This is who it's been sleeping next to at night, so it has been hanging with a pretty classy babe; ( a top flight, National show winning '64 Roadster 4 speed with all original interior and original ---- not re-popped, alloy knock-offs.)

I think they have shared good living arrangements ~ and neither wants any part of the other's ideas of any 'swaps'

(-;
Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Sweet
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Joe ! I knew you would be one of the first to comment ......

I was smitten the first time I saw this car @ an all Porsche showing a while back. When the owner decided to sell off some of his Corvettes, American muscle, and this Porsche, I couldn't wait to see it again and hopefully become it's new caretaker. I bought it around Christmas-'15 / New Years.

The amount of documentation it came with was quite thorough and I will show some images of that , the books, the Monroney sticker, and more photos of the interior including under the hatch, the engine compartment, and the unblemished dash and console.
It has the Blaupunkt Monterey SQR 23 stereo, but was replaced at least once under warranty from new ( first time around 2 months after purchase ! ) and I was very surprised at the quality of sound from a 30 year old stereo

system when I first played it. Virtually no distortion from the old speakers, indicating little play time or exposure to the elements such as heat or u/v.

God Bless Montana and their 80 mph speed limits. I had just been passed by a four door diesel Ford 3/4 ton when I took the last image; he was easily doing triple digits as most ranchers seem to be in a hurry to get to their horses and cattle a couple counties away /-:

And leo's are few and far between and give lots of cushion on the differential between speed posted and speed travelled.

Perfect Porsche roads ~

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-08-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Beautiful car on beautiful roads. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:22 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So nice!!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

some shots of the great scenery thru Montana

What a beautiful piece of real estate it really is. The horizons stretch forever ~

"objects in mirror appear to be losing momentum"
Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The little chrome grille guards on the foglites are a dealer supplied add on and appear on one of the invoices in the book of items purchased new at delivery. Also the black fingernail protectors under the Porsche Script door handles which protect the paint from being marred or scratched, were added at delivery.

The little guards appear to be doing their job, as a few stone nicks can be seen on the chrome surface, but no broken lenses. And the little black inserts are a take it or leave deal for me..... I am not pulling them off, but do not really like the 'black-out' look on the dish under the handle.

If one takes a close look at the FUCHS alloys, one will notice the original anodizing left intact as no previous owner, nor I have taken an aggressive polishing compound or steel wool to the surface and removed the original marbling look. The wheels show an original appearance as they were made 30 years ago in March of 1986.

Containing a softly muted, slightly dull 'liquid mercury' cast to the appearance. It seems folks have thought this look needed a brightening up and go to great lengths at polishing or rubbing steel wool, rubbing in a coating of an aggressive cleaner to bling things up a bit. They are ruining their wheels and don't know it.... Porsche recommends in the Owner's Manual to rub in petroleum jelly to the surface of the anodizing to retain the original finish, and avoid automatic car wash soaps, bird droppings, brake dust, or aggressive cleaners containing an improper PH level. Any of those things will streak the aluminum and give a milky stain to the rim edge. It is then permanent.....

Also, the car came from Porsche hosting it's hand painted center caps which remarkably 30 years later, retain their unchipped and unblemished form

Montana speed limits are set pretty high compared to most states and with a bit of a fudge factor factored in, this car drives and runs out as new. Even pushing higher easily when dictated to do so. No surging, no missed revs, no hesitation; just a gentle push forward in the small of one's back.

It smells like new inside. It feels new; tight. Very solid and vault-like. Like how all Porsches and Audis were made back in the day in the mid 80's.

Just a real nostalgic throw back in time

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Great photos ! Thanks for sharing. Seeing this reminds me why I love 944's so much. Low mileage or well kept original examples, very very special cars that ooze quality and engineering excellence. Great cars even by modern standards.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Worthy of parking in the living room...nice.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the appreciative remarks guys ! Glad to answer any questions or provide any notes. I view this car as well as the '84- Guards Red M-456 I bought new, as great examples of how things really were back in the day. I use them to reference items on several of my other 944s which had small changes made by previous owners...... nothing permanent as much as slight variances in how wires were routed or vacuum lines attached, etc.

In a couple of those first series cars, the visor mirrors weren't even cut out and retain their moulded in appearance. When I looked at the slider doors on the mirrors in this white series 2 car, I could tell they had never been slid open before as the mirror had no scratches or even any dust on the glass. Remarkable to say the least. It is a virtual time capsule of originality.

The center console door has no wear marks..... the clasp which opens it feels stiff and crisp and the hinge has no play in it whatsoever. The ashtray door even slides with a very definite crispness that cars having even a limited usage cannot duplicate. ( I rarely have used the ashtray door in my '84 coupe to store small items, and after only a few uses it began to slide freely. As well in my '89- 951 M030 cpe...... it has the same series 2 ashtray door and appears never to have been used much, but this white car exemplifies a preciseness not seen in a normally used, even a limited used condition.

Air conditioning ( not updated ) remains cold and instant at the touch of the button. Tail light lenses remain clear and unscratched. Bright. There is no evidence the lens gaskets have ever permitted any ingress of water into the cabin. Everything you touch and everything you look at appears new and untainted by the passages of time..... it truly is a joy to behold.

Yes, if my living room would hold it, it would reside there. Along with a few favorite sport bikes......

/-:}

If you click on the above photo image, then click the icon to look more closely at anything, you will see the paint showing it's original sheen including the aforementioned 'orange peel' seen on every Porsche built during this era. Audi of Neckarsulm did a fantastic job of duplicating this orange peel on the finishes of the 944s they constructed and painted, matching the same finish applied to every 911 and 928 built in Stuttgart.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

MGJ I had to check my 25,000 mile ashtray, it slides like it was greased Are the fog light and door fingernail protectors listed as ZVW xxx xxx numbers by any chance. I finally snagged a ZVW 327 301 to compliment my 84's air compressor Next quest the mythical air compressor box. Did the later compressors come boxed also ? Heavens that car is nice !
Old 06-07-2016, 01:05 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhowell371
MGJ I had to check my 25,000 mile ashtray, it slides like it was greased Are the fog light and door fingernail protectors listed as ZVW xxx xxx numbers by any chance. I finally snagged a ZVW 327 301 to compliment my 84's air compressor Next quest the mythical air compressor box. Did the later compressors come boxed also ? Heavens that car is nice !
Thanks again for the compliments Joe ..... and am glad you located the air gauge and vinyl folder for your glovebox. These are getting very hard to find for the series one car as is the air compressor and cardboard box.

I will check those part numbers as I have a spare set my brother gave me for Christmas in about 1985. He bought a pair for his 1984 GTI ( the door protectors ) and gave me a set to put on my '84 - 944. I never did put them on and they should have part numbers denoting their application as both cars took the same item.

As to the fog lite grilles, I remember seeing sets of these at our local dealership's glass parts counter display back in the day. Not sure if they are a VW/Porsche/Audi item or something from an aftermarket supplier. I think they may have been offered by Porsche as a supplemental income source for their dealers. Let me go thru the original sales paperwork again and see if something arises to their credibility and their sourcing.

The series one air compressor came housed in a plastic snap apart case which housed the motor and a coiled up hose and several attachments with an instructional sheet. These were then wrapped in a small fold open style cardboard box and placed in the wheel housing or by the spare tire in the rear hatch. The plastic case is an ivory colored housing and about half the size of the following product seen from '85.2 onward.

The series two air compressor is a black plastic case with snaps which houses the compressor and hose assy. along with a built in tire pressure gauge. The case has embossed Porsche lettering on the outside lid. No cardboard boxes were ever produced to hold the case..... they came loosely packed in the boot area as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

And a strange anomaly about the license plate:

It is a random plate picked up at DMV of Montana. It also randomly came up with the message which if read in Spanish, loosely translates as Blanco 86 or White 86.

I know it isn't correct for the car in a historical or ancestral sense as in German it would be: WEISS 86. It's just a fun kind of alliteration which has no real purpose other than that. ( unless the car was delivered to Mexico, built in Mexico, or was owned by a Mexican. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944