Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:16 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
I am actually planning to bring my '88 Carrera in Venetian Blue. I also want to bring it over to one of the trusted shops after the show and get an inspection of the valve train done and an oil change at the same time. One of the CV joints on the right is starting to make a bit of noise ( hum that comes and goes ) so want them to shoot in a bit of lube with a needlepoint while it's in the air draining.....

Will you be there ? This is always a GREAT show in Roseville Park & I try to get there every year. I may have this white car detailed out by the time the show at Afton Alps comes up a month later. Maybe
Wouldn't miss it, one of the best shows all summer and great way to meet fellow enthusiasts. Trying to decide whether to bring my 964 or 944, given the plethora of 911's that turnout I'm actually tempted to bring the 944 for variety.

Please do bring the Venetian Blue Carrera! One of my favorite colors, what a beautiful car. The last color I wanted was another guards red but sometimes you have to take what you can get

Last edited by pcarfan944; 06-22-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great 964 !
Is that on Lake Minnetonka ? It looks familiar.......

We'll see you there
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Until I get back with the car in a day or two and take some more detailed shots, here are some more photos of the summit of BearTooth; the last one at Custer's Last Stand near Hardin, MT.

If you ever wish to have the drive of a lifetime in a Porsche, I highly recommend a trip to the Badlands of North and South Dakota, Yellowstone in Wyoming, Rockies of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and the wide open spaces of Montana. It's beyond fascinating and your car will bond with you in ways never known before.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:29 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

"If you ever wish to have the drive of a lifetime in a Porsche, I highly recommend a trip to the Badlands of North and South Dakota, Yellowstone in Wyoming, Rockies of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and the wide open spaces of Montana. It's beyond fascinating and your car will bond with you in ways never known before."

Rode my Harley thru the Badlands, it was a surreal experience, like riding on another planet.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

the last photo got a little blurry, sorry about that.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Dave, you asked about the white bottle earlier. These two full bottles were in the back. Porsche window cleaner and another maker's bottle of bug remover. Unopened.

The Porsche bra the first owner paid 100 bucks for a month after he got the car. It's in pretty near perfect shape, but needs some attending to with the vent screen. A little tear.

And a shot of the heated connections and tubing for the windshield nozzle jets. Also, for some reason, some 944s have this battery shield and some don't. Of the cars I own, it's about 50/50.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This shield comes in a car equipped with factory alarm system.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Darek !

It shows to be true in my case.
And I understand completely why: to foil a thief from attempting to remove a battery cable thru the cowl, thus disabling the alarm.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:19 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The other part of the equation in the aforementioned 'alarm system'.

Some folks hate them due to the fact so many issues have arisen with them. No starts, or battery drain, or lost keys. Some have intermittent issues caused by a deteriorated switch assy. I am fortunate the cars I own that have them, are all low mileage, non - salt driven, nor inclement weather driven sports cars that were never used as daily drivers.

Use was limited and on fair weather days, so wet crud never got thrown up behind the fender and sat around the switch to corrode it.

Here one also sees those black guards which the first owner put on under the door handle to keep fingernails from marring paint. I personally don't like them as the pieces look kind of cheesy. This is the only 944 I have with them. They will stay as they are a part of this car's history; it's story. I do have a second set my brother gave me many years ago and I will scrounge them up and look for those part numbers as Joe had asked about.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:13 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Script door handles function as new with a soft yet crisp actuation; just as they were designed to. These are supposed to be lubed by your technician at each service..... how often did that happen ?
It gets done around here. I remember the mechanic pointing this out to me after I had noticed evidence of a light soiling and a smear of white lube on a hinge @ one of my first services about 6 months after taking delivery of my first car. If allowed to dry out, the mechanism inside the door and actuation assy. of the handle, will begin to pull harder until it breaks a few years down the road.

Ever try to get one of these handles and assemblies today ?

Last two show the flawlessly perfect finish on the rubber fin spoiler. No u/v deterioration or industrial fallout here to degrade it's satin like smoothness. Some of the finer details on this car just make me stand back and shake my head in amazement
Old 06-14-2016, 01:17 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about this car and other 944's of the same quality. Makes me want to go enjoy my 944's, even if I am just tinkering around. I have some things to do on my early 85 today and your thread inspires me to do so! I look forward to the next set of pics and details!!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about this car and other 944's of the same quality. Makes me want to go enjoy my 944's, even if I am just tinkering around. I have some things to do on my early 85 today and your thread inspires me to do so! I look forward to the next set of pics and details!!
Thanks for the kind words ! Great that you, and hopefully others have found it inspiring...... I wish I could have everyone by to look it over and feel as inspired as I do each time I lift the garage door or drive it.

If you like what you're viewing and reading, click the top link @ the upper right hand corner and "rate this thread".

I will post as many photos or answer as much as I know. Stay tuned as I do have more photos to put up.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

someone already used a buffer and de-nuded the 'mouse fur' sunroof seal. I note in one of the dealer receipts there was a hand wash and quick detail with a customer complaint attached and the amount scratched out and written down as a 'no charge'. I think I would have demanded a new sunroof seal as the rubber and cords are showing on the right hand side of the roof. The first real detrimental thing I have come across.....I bet the wash and detail guy got a talking to over that faux-pas.

a few more images showing the unwashed top, the rear nomenclature, the underhood 'waffle' pattern sound/heat insulation, and the undetailed engine. Service recs show the fuel lines have been checked/replaced and t-belt/balance shaft belts are on their third year and 1,150 miles
Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

not that any may be suggesting it, but no. There is no plan for paint.....

the cam tower is staying just the way it is
Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944