Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
And today, 4 months later during this Thanksgiving weekend, family is indeed grateful Dad is alive.
Don, good to hear your Dad is well on the road to recovery. Happy motoring...
Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys all for the good words of encouragement and kindness shown for my Dad.

Allow me one more photo grouping and then the subject will return to the white 944 I began this thread with. I spoke with the fellow just the other day in Billings who I bought it from. What a GREAT guy ! He was one of the best individuals I have ever bought a car from and his care and keeping of it was beyond what one could hope for in getting a perfect 944.

Last weekend my brother and I made a quick trip south to pick up a 'donor car' for all those parts which cannot be sourced new or used from the local Chrysler dealership or parts sources in the general area. We found a pretty rust free donor car in a lighter purple. Most panels are no longer available new from Dodge. Some are, but back orders are not uncommon. It will NOT have certi-fit aftermarket or Chinese metal put on it. The body guys are adamant on good panel fit and don't wish to mess with the headaches of fixing new metal straight from the boat coming from overseas. They asked me to find a good used donor car and this is what we brought them. Hope it successfully goes under the knife and renders everything needed to do the job as good as it can be done.

It almost seems a shame to cut up such a great running and driving car, but it is what it is. It does have rather high miles, but the engine and transmission were recently rebuilt and it has had no accident history other than a few door dings. (Doors aren't needed anyway.) New tires were recent to satisfy state inspection reqs. and decent alloys, rust free frame members, inner fender, engine cradle, fenders, and hood all with MOPAR stamping in the metal.

What they can't find new will come off this guy.
R.I.P. donor Dodge ~~~~
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

MGJ, does the donor car have sport seats? Could be an upgrade!!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:18 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlfaGTA
MGJ, does the donor car have sport seats? Could be an upgrade!!

No, the seats are the same. One's leather interior and the other is black cloth.

The critical stuff is all the same and would have interchanged between Dodge Stratus up to 2000 and Plymouth Breeze, ES or SE. V6 or either of the two four cylinder options. Dad's car is very low in miles, came with the premium engine which was a 200 dollar upgrade, and never saw any inclement or salty weather so body panels were mint as was the interior. The body men will have a good core to weld the new front substructure and engine cradle onto after the 'pull' and straightening.

The donor car has a few small issues, but none which are cosmetic or structurally related, and mechanically it runs beautifully.
For it, the upgrade will be giving up it's metalwork needed which cannot be found new. And for Dad's damaged car, the upgrade will be having all MOPAR parts put back on it's reconstructed front. Air Bags are on back order due to the recall world wide and current backlog in production. The violet colored car may have to give them up until new ones are sourced.

He IS getting a second set of rims ( alloy ) and new tires which was an unexpected turn of events. Thankfully due to some states strict DOT laws which require state vehicle inspections before resale to the public.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Quick update and then returning to my original thread topic ....

Car of Dad's got completed while I was spending the winter in Florida. I have not seen it yet, but my brother picked it up with Dad, and both were ecstatic over the quality of repair. I will post photos of it when I return.

As to the white 944.
Well the subject got brought back up by another poster when he found a 1986 'I' code optioned 944. I am bumping this thread back to the top to make it easier for him to read and respond. Soon it will be warm back in the RRV and I can begin anew on cleaning, documenting, and preparing this white 944 for the upcoming Spring, Summer, and Fall events in our local PCA region. I can hardly wait to get back to it !
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

MGJ, I'm at work so haven't read past the 3rd page. But how did you find the "I" code list? The answer maybe in page 4-15 that I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm interested, since I got two of them.

I39 and I89... any ideas or leads?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Well, I do NOT know what your group bundling could be, but some deductions may be made when you analyze the options on your car and compare them to any documentation you have, such as an original sale bill OR better yet: the original Monroney window sticker.

I was able to deduce what the I82 grouping meant to my particular car by paperwork included ( and I photographed and posted here ) along with an original Monroney in the car's document pouch.

By you posting photos of your car and including everything you can uncover which is original paperwork and original options to your car, ( such as headlight washers, rear window washer, heated seats, etc. ) an educated guess may be hazarded as to how those option numbers apply to your car.
I am pretty sure your car has leather front sport seats. They may well be FULL leather and may include other sport options such as heavier sway bars, LSD, larger torsion bars, heavy duty sport shocks and sport springs, etc. You may also have a full leather interior car such as the door panels and lower dash.
Best wishes with what you uncover. This should be fun !
Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I agree!!! I'm excited!!! I've been looking for a 951 for years, hence my screen name on here and that other forum we talk on, so this is a dream coming true!! I'm keeping some info under my hat for now, I have some small fear of a fellow rennlister running out and scooping this up out from under me if I reveal too much. Once I have the car in hand you can bet I'm going to start a big fat ol' thread with pics and details galore so we can find out exactly what I've got! I should have it in my garage within the next 30 days.

And I'm understanding about the I codes now, I wasn't realizing it wasn't a "set list" like the other option codes. I had thought maybe you had a source (and if anyone did, it'd be MGJ. Don't make me get to making MGJ meme's again!!! LOL )
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

For some reason some of the 'H' , 'I', and other codes never got deciphered along with their individual codes we see on Clark's Garage, Pelican, or 944-Online. To get this info today, one needs to source Porsche's Kardex files ( doable but not printable at their Weissach library or at any PorschePlatz kiosk they set up such as an event like Parade. ) One may view but not photograph or print the record and the only two other sources for this info are on original Monroney documents affixed to the windshield at new car sale point, OR by paying Porsche for a Cert. of Authenticity. The latter being the subject of many factual errors.... ( they are getting better I've heard ).

Umbrella codes like 'H' or 'I' codes were mutually inclusive of several packaged options, bundled this way for marketing. Some cars could have so many options, not enough space was contained on the white build code tag to list them all.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 10-16-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Getting this 944 normal and an '89 Turbo ready for our local PCA 'ALL Porsche Show' this upcoming weekend.
Hopefully the weather will hold and my 250 mile journey will be uneventful

Pics to follow ~
Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The beauty that IS,
PCA- Nord Stern Region

Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Where else can you find a great group of members with spectacular Porsches, ALL getting along ?

Where owners of a Singer, a RUF, a Twin turbo 993, a Carrera GT, and a new 991.2 'R' share a concerned effort at appreciating their friend's Porsches as much as their own..... whether it be a lowly 924 or 944. An early 1.7 - 914 sharing the lawn with an early 914-6 two litre.

Or a 928 sitting down the aisle from a 918. Or 3.
Or a Porsche tractor next to a friend's 968 track car ?

Appreciation for the name Porsche, respect for another's pride and joy. Befriending someone new to the area or having just joined the Porsche ownership experience and looking for a group to tour, show, and track their car with .......

Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Great pictures of great cars, thanks MGJ
Old 07-18-2017, 03:02 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thank YOU very much Joe ! Glad you found them enjoyable.

How are the S2 and that sweet Guards Red beauty running ?

Any plans to make it down to Daytona for the 24 Hour, or Sebring for the PCA or 12 Hour ?
Or Bike Week in Daytona this winter ?

We need to make a plan ........
Old 07-18-2017, 04:47 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Awesome MGJ, thanks so much for sharing!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944