Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pcar:

Nick's birthday is today and on my F/B page, the very photo I was looking for scrolled up a few minutes ago. The one of him exiting your car at the show at the golf course last year in June. Let me see if I can post that image over to this page ~
Old 07-10-2016, 04:28 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Oh my gawd, I want that 912. Not sure what that color is called but it suits the car perfectly.

Don- I just hopped on and saw the photo. Funny enough I was just looking through my 2" stack of service records for the carfax and the Par and Coffee window sticker was in there, Nick must have left it in the car.

My 944 was never a North Dakota car, that was the day I drove it back from Nick's. Per the maintenance booklet the car was sold new out of Chicago, then came to Minnesota in the late 80's where the 2nd owner had it until 2000, whom then sold it to his friend, who sold it to me. Didn't get any service history prior to y2k but at least I know the story. It's a pretty run of the mill 944 devoid of any exciting options, but most were.

Great photos from the show today. Thanks for posting
Old 07-10-2016, 12:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Joe:
yes, my friends '63 split IS a great car with impeccable design cues, but are you sure this isn't 'perfect'-ly beautiful as well ? Sure rocks my world ..... (-; love, Love, LOVE the '64 Roadster !

Pcar:
my '84 sunroof delete/delete special originally came from Chicago as well. Seen here wearing it's Ruby Red metallic / Grey Beige combination. It was special ordered new by a PCA instructor who also owned a 908; hence the numbers. He had his 908 liveried with the same number as his 944 he used for DE classes, but only gave the students ride arounds in this. The cars were then registered at each event with the decimal as a separating feature, and used in different run group sessions. He still owns the 908, and numbered '908.a' , but I now have his low mile normal - delete car numbered as '908.b'

my 951 seen @ Road America at the Brian Redman Vintage Races last July. I will be back there in four days for another great time at Elkhart Lake with friends. Come on over for some unbelievable races and shows.

The first 'Spotted Cow' is on me at Siebkens !
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Ah yes, that roadster is beautiful but in a different way, it's elegant. Perfect for cruising on nice days. The menacing Darth Vader black reverse "cockpit" like fastback with split window at the angle captured in your picture just moves me like no other, foreign or domestic, cheap or expensive. Being black with the addition of the Fuelie option and 4 speed it just ticks all the rights boxes. That said should your friend every look to donate his roadster to a good home....... deep inside Chevrolet blood has run thru my veins since a 396 in High School. A 327/350 horsepower black 68 Corvette cost me my license 40 years ago, don't need to do that again. Burning back roads with the S2 at 40-50 MPH while only 10 MPH over isn't as costly I loved pulling hole shots with the 396 in front of the High school for my gear head friends Things were a little looser in those days, now John Law would be there before the tire smoke cleared
Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

My friend Jay owns the '63 Split. It is almost black; a deep dark blue so dark that in less than direct sunlight, looks black. The interior seating is black as is the dash and door panels. I think it's called Nordic Blue ? or something like it. The entire car has been super detailed out to the -nth- degree by professional car artisans/enthusiast owners. It indeed has quite the history and has been inside stored by the original owner since new. Jay bought it a few years ago and went to work on the re-awakening.

Actually none of the cars shown thus far are for sale or even have been considered for sale.

If the roadster in silver arouses you, IF for sale, it would be available around 96. A 327 - 350 hp, 4 speed, Positraction unit, all original ( including the o.e. factory alloys and Knock-offs ) except paint which was done in the mid - '80s. Because the original skin was getting the traditional cracking due to body panel flex. That interior and the top are all original as well and the engine is as dry as a bone in the desert. Never been opened up or overhauled. Zero oil consumption and is a 'zero issue' car .......top flight national champion with many awards and trophies.

Contact me.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:52 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

and to think we came down the pike 1 hp or more not all that long ago

and some were slower than others. Consider the burro
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't add much to the Corvette discussion, but I do have my sights set on this barn find '69 427 4spd. Guy I know has had it in his pole barn for the past 7 years, owned dropped it off for short term storage but has lost interest in the car and there it sits. Looks straight, honest and original minus the wheels. Next time he talks to the owner he's going to express my interest. Might be fun project, wonder what it's worth?
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

one more parting shot of the raised hub, sport suspension, old D.E. instructors car. The one with the preserved interior because he took out the seats and stored them before installing his sport Recaro racing seats and multi-point belts.

Then it's back to cleaning the white '86 before it's debut in about 3 weeks at Auto Lieben. We have had thunderstorms here the last 3 days with violent weather at night dropping 2 inches of rain, hail, and funnel clouds from the sky. The hail took out the neighbor's crops about 1/2 mile from the old farm house I write this from. Dodged a BIG bullet ! Fourth year in a row this area has been hammered by hail ......

Good day to be prepping the white car inside, as nothing else can be done outside in mud.

I have been trying to track down the first and original owner to this car. It doesn't help that the dealership is out of business and that some of the numbers on these receipts and work orders have been disconnected.

BUT, I am making a little progress. I will tell that story as it has been completed as far as I can pursue it with the fellow from Utah who documented his car and took such great care of it after ordering it out and picking it up in 1986. HE is the one most responsible for the majority of miles which are on the car, and thanks to his excellent care, it lives today in it's current state.

He HAD to have loved it ~

and I wonder why after so many years of ownership he moved it on ?

1986 - 944 n/a with 28,000 miles.<br/>Sport Touring pkg, with stabilizers, color matched 16 inch FUCHS, leather Sport Seats, rear wiper, non-restored original paint and interior

Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Datkinsj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The build codes for my '84 are as follows, C03,348,401,404,409,650,666,900.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks !
Those last two codes are REALLY interesting.

Your car was spec'd to not have any protective rust inhibitor or 'shipping' wax applied indicated by -666-. It was also a -900- code "Tourist Delivery" ( as was my '88 Carrera ) , meaning the original owner picked the car up in Germany from Porsche, which you stated before.

I wonder if it was then sent over by plane ? OR if it later got the treatment before shipping and sent back on the boat as most were. For a long time in the '80's and early '90's, some Porsches were sent here by cargo jet, but those were usually special order or very special cars like 930s, Slopes, 928s, race cars, etc.

Do you have any of that backstory ?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Datkinsj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can get out of the PO, the car was purchased in Germany at the plant, the PO was a professor at Berkeley in California, he and his wife were on vacation and he bought the car for a Christmas present for his wife in December of '83, they toured Germany and surrounding countries and then shipped it to California, the PO gave the car to his son and had it trucked to Florida about 10-12 years ago, the car overheated, and had been garaged for eight years when I purchased it. The Porsche dealer in California near Berkeley that serviced the car has since gone out of business. I have tried to locate service records but to no avail.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

It is interesting you were able to secure that much. So many of these cars suffer from a completely closed book on revealing their past. Many were lease turn backs, were traded somewhere to a dealer who didn't care, and even if they were a lower mileage unit because they didn't 'fit' on the lot, got cleaned out, books thrown away, and all references to prior ownership like repair receipts tossed. Sent to the nearest auto auction and lot boys gutted it all and tossed it in the nearest garbage can. Sad. ( I remember going to a local dealer auction and walked thru their detail department where I saw them doing this very thing. Some of the owner's manuals were leather bound, some had never been opened. They looked brand new. Literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars of eBay treasures carted to the landfill.) And, history lost.

Privacy. State laws mandating dealerships not disclose former names. It destroys the heritage for the majority of the used cars, even special sports cars such as these.

I detest it and have walked on many such cars because nothing was decipherable; they were shallow personas with hollow lives.

I am one of those guys who 'buys' the seller as much as 'buying' the car.

And I am glad you were able to gain a level of knowledge about it, answering some of the questions we all have about our cars. It kind of completes the circle doesn't it ?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Looking back on things ~

It was on this trip a couple of summers ago with my newly retired friends that I first became acquainted with the Billings area treasure I showed on the first few images on this thread :

All 3 of us set off on a tour thru the states of ND, MT, WY, and SD. We had a goal to drive some of mountain passes before snow blocked them ( as it was, we had snow at the summit of Bear Tooth Pass ). This was the third week in August and by the following week we heard the pass had closed due to an early winter blizzard ! Shut down by Labor day ..... wow.

We put on many miles that week and passed thru Yellowstone, the Big Horn Mtn. range, Custer Battlefield, Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills and many other great natural wonders.

Back at the hotel in Billings ( the Northern, a world re-known downtown landmark ) I picked up a local trade paper and made a few calls. Learned there were some folks in town for a show and Concours of Porsches in a local park.

and, to make a long story short made a connection with the owner then and there of this Alpine White '86. I gave him my contact info and about 1.5 years later he called me back and let me know it may be for sale. He had put out a few feelers and had a commitment from another collector and enthusiast on the east coast.
Negotiations began and believe me, they were not simple. When one is dealing with a licensed appraiser of collector and sports cars, and has connections with many folks interested in what one has available in one's OWN private collection, and there isn't any real motivational reason for selling. Other than renewing the collection, or winnowing it to add something else, or changing one's life plans but those plans aren't connected to a 'need' for money in a short or necessary fashion, well ..... it get's interesting.

Or as some dating sites are fond of using a certain term : "it's complicated". Actually it wasn't ALL that complicated. He wanted 'X' and I paid 'X'. Minus about a 1.98 or so. If I wanted it, this is what it was going to cost, or so it seemed.

I am still very grateful for the opportunity.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

taken on the top floor of the parking ramp at said " The Northern Hotel " in downtown Billings about 2 hours after I drove it across the Skyline Drive, by the airport on top of the plateau, and down the great hill and into downtown. (I had owned the car for about 6 months but stored it at the owner's garages until the snow, ice, road salts, and our two calendar dates could match up for retrieval.) The photo was one of the first recorded images of the car in my possession after I had picked it up, other than the ones of it sitting by the '64. The magnificent views from those locations are incredible, and even here in this image, one may see the mountains which surround Billings in the background.

I am headed into town in about 5 minutes to a few appointments and will be spending a few more hours later with this lovely. More detailing for it's first show with me at 'Auto Lieben' in Afton Hills; about 2 weeks or so. I will take a few more images of the progress made so far and post them up later. The final wash and wax, then the replacing of the sunroof seal will happen shortly.

The list is still long and days on the calendar getting shorter .... and I cannot wait to drive it with abandon and zeal once the initial event is over !
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Driver's side seat belt looks like it has never been used. It cleaned up with a quick wipe of warm water and a dry towel. This photo is actually taken before I cleaned it, but it looked the same after....

Rear seat speaker is brilliant. No worries here ....

Last two images are of the sunroof cover/headliner and the left and right sun visors. I sure wish a few of my more higher mileage cars had an interior this great !

Thank YOU previous owners ~

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944