Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AGLA - big ripoff!! (Wanted: Shifter boot w/ knob)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Wildstar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGLA - big ripoff!! (Wanted: Shifter boot w/ ****)

Has any other Rennlister done business with AGLA (Alan Gun Leather Accessories)? Since my current boot is torn, I decided to replace it. I purchased a replacement shifter boot from AGLA about six weeks ago. It finally arrived yesterday, even though I was promised by them a two week delivery date. What a cheap piece of $#$$#$ it is, too. Its a two piece rubber **** glued together instead of the solidly built OEM piece. The best part is that after I installed it, the seam between the two rubber pieces split within one day of use. So now its useless!! I thought I'd vent a bit and save the rest of you the trouble of buying anything from them.

So I guess now I'm back in the market for a shifter boot and ****. Anyone have one in black leather for sale that will fit a 1990 S2 Cab?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I think that http://www.rennbay.com/shiftboot.html has shift boots.

Sorry about AGLA. I have done business with them, they releathered my steering wheel and although it took quite some time to get back to me, it was well done.

-Matt
Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 PM
kinda5150
Racer

thanks for the warning. i too am looking for one, but want real leather. i may end up just buying some leather from a fabric store and doing the whole thing myself. there are plenty of books on how to upholster steering wheels, seats, and the like. most are kinda old, but handstitching hasn't changed much in the last 100 years. just a thought.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:54 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

AGLA kit worked great on my 4 spoke steering wheel. the shift boot i got (recovered the **** myself) could have fit a little better, but high quality stuff nonetheless.

-Michael-
Old 10-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the replacement boot from them as a DIY project. It was fine.

I don't know what kind if **** they offer, but my stock one was a two-piece rubber unit that the disc was glued into. I ruined the shift-pattern disc prying it out, and bought an aluminum replacement from Prestige Parts in the UK.

I didn't have any problems with what AGLA sent me. Sorry you did.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like they sent you the wrong part. I ordered a replacement shiftboot/**** from them and it was perfect (and leather, not rubber). You should return it to them and demand a replacement.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

First bad that I've heard about them.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I just installed their shift boot on my Jetta. Aside for taking a few extra weeks to get it, everything looks good. It hasn't been on a week, so I can't say anything about durability.

Either way, sorry to hear it didn't work out right. Have you contacted them?

BB.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I have installed Wheelskins shifter boots on a couple of my cars. They are very good but hard to install. You have to really stretch the leather over the **** and getting the shift pattern plug back in can be dicey. the leather is thicker than stock and nice and soft, it's worth the trouble.
If I did it again I'd find a product to make the leather easier to stretch and get it very warm beforehand (heat gun maybe?) The trouble with softening the leather would be making it too slippery to pull over the ****.

-Joel.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Olde
I think that http://www.rennbay.com/shiftboot.html has shift boots.

Sorry about AGLA. I have done business with them, they releathered my steering wheel and although it took quite some time to get back to me, it was well done.

-Matt
I am still out of the 85.5+'s . Hopefully I will get some in soon. I know some people are still waiting for there orders. They should be here in about 2 weeks though.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Humm... perhaps you caught them on a bad week. I too had good service when I ordered mine. It showed up within a few days of when they said, the boot is very good quality, and so far, it's wearing just fine.

???? You may want to see if they'll replace it.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny....I'm right in the middle of an issue with them regarding the recovering of my 4 post wheel they did. However, I MUST give them the opportunity to make things right. Its on its way back to them this very minute. I'm sure they will make good on their products/services if given the chance. Try them, they DO have a warranty on their products.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too picked the AGLA boot from Ian @ 944online.com

It was just the leather boot but was buttery soft and a perfect fit. What was AGLA's response?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have dealt with AGLA with very good results, however Wildstar is correct about the **** they give you if you order the boot AND ****.
Is it not OEM, has a light rubbery feel to it.
I installed one for a friend and I really hated it.

The AGLA boots are fine if you reuse your old ****.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I have had good luck with them. Actually I like the hard rubber **** they use, but they could maybe finish the bottom edge of it off a little better. With their **** you don't have to worry about the little rubber spacer thingies like with the factory metal ****. Not like it's a big deal or anything.

Their leather is really nice quality though. I had a WheelSkinz (sp?) boot before and it was sheer junk. The color was painted on and would get sticky when it was hot and stick to itself.

Quick Reply: AGLA - big ripoff!! (Wanted: Shifter boot w/ knob)