Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 944 Turbo Input Shaft Play (driveline slack)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 AM
djtalon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 944 Turbo Input Shaft Play (driveline slack)

I have a driveline slack problem when i let off the gas. The axles are tight, when i remove the access plate on transmission with car in gear i have a little bit of rotational play. I am guessing that is not normal and the problem is the pinion in transmission. What else could it be? is shimming the pinion a DIY?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you do that test with the clutch in, or out? There are 3 gear meshes total between the input shaft and the CV axles, so you can expect some gear lash, unless it was excessive.

In every 944 I have driven, there is some amount of "backlash" when you let off the gas suddenly. I wrote it off as the driveline acting like a torsional spring... the clutch center loads up and so does the torque tube shaft when you are transmitting power through it, slightly, which stores potential energy. So when you lift off, it unloads and you can notice it.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 AM
djtalon
Intermediate

actually wondering if its a clutch issue. Trans in neutral, the shaft going from engine to trans should not move at all right? i am turning it from inside the inspection plate on trans. The clutch is a centerforce
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Definitely shouldn't do that... even an NA rubber centered clutch feels taught with the clutch engaged and no resistance from the trans side.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
In every 944 I have driven, there is some amount of "backlash" when you let off the gas suddenly. I wrote it off as the driveline acting like a torsional spring... the clutch center loads up and so does the torque tube shaft when you are transmitting power through it, slightly, which stores potential energy. So when you lift off, it unloads and you can notice it.
I'll double-check what he had, but when I drove BoulderGeek's NA a couple months back, I was astonished that it didn't seem to have any of that lashing whatsoever... I haven't driven hardly any 944s with new/recent clutch jobs, so I don't have a good reference there, but I figured the newer spring-centered clutch was what did the trick...

Good call in checking the axles, too- I started getting some weird play and clunking that turned out to be all 6 of the triple-square bolts attaching the driver-rear axle to the hub having nearly backed out! Guessing someone forgot to torque them at some point, and they finally worked their way loose. Thankfully, the CV boot is big enough to keep the bolts from backing out completely, otherwise I'm guessing I'd have been down a few bolts!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With trans in neutral, but clutch pedal up, the shaft should not move at all because it would be locked by the engine not being on. The lash you are feeling is probably the worn out spring cages in the clutch disc's hub.

If you want to check tranny lash, put it in gear, pull up the e-brake, and have someone hold down the clutch pedal. If you feel any lash, it's either in the gearbox, or axles, and it should be easy to confirm/eliminate the axles by watching them.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM
djtalon
Intermediate

Thanks, looked at it again last night, with clutch pedal not depressed i would say its about 1/16 play twisting it back and forth. Not sure if that would make the car have the driveline slack i am feeling while letting off the gas.

will that amount of slack hurt the trans? Does seem like the clutch springs, clutch is years old but only has about 2k miles on it. Its a centerforce.

thanks
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM
djtalon
Intermediate

Checked with cluch depressed and trans in first gear. The input shaft to the trans rotates about 1/4 turn back and forth. Looks like my slack in driveline is from trans. Is this common problem on 94 trans to happen? Total rebuild or is it something else?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Watching this thread with great interest. I have 6 951s. I've had 3 transmission rebuilds and 5 new clutches including a rebuilt 968 transmission in 30 years. In Every case I had this driveline lash. If we can find the solution if be very happy!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Jon951, if you've had 3 trans rebuilds, you're in a good position to tell us what the solution is. What did your rebuilder find out when they opened them up? Which parts needed replacing?

djtalon, that's a lot of lash. You can either have that trans rebuilt, or find a decent used one to put in.

I've only had the two 951s that I have now, and one of them does have some lash in the trans. The other one is tight. Also, my spare 951 trans has no lash. So not much of a data point, but one of my three 951 transmissions has a lash problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Jon951
Instructor

I'll ask my current transmission guy next week and get back to you.

Quick Reply: 89 944 Turbo Input Shaft Play (driveline slack)