Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freakn' cooling system. - where to go from here

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

On a 951 there are no tricks to removing the AC condenser, IMO no guide should be needed.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding your cooling problem, it sounds like an internally blocked radiator.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

from your vid, your ac core looks like NCporsche's old radiator...filled with bugs, bunny hair and mirco road kill.

if you remove the cooling system radiator, it would be simple to back flush the AC core. no need to go through the expense of dumping the refrigerant.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike77
Think your car also has an inner seal for the thermostat. Did you change that as well? If you just ordered a thermostat it wouldn't come with it.
I have a new pump with new seal. I checked it again when I put the new thermostat in the other day.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
On a 951 there are no tricks to removing the AC condenser, IMO no guide should be needed.
So there is not need to take the front bumper off? I should be able to get it removed with just the batwing off?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Regarding your cooling problem, it sounds like an internally blocked radiator.
Maybe, but it is a new radiator. That doesn't mean it isn't blocked I imagine. Im not sure how to test it. If I could get the AC radiator removed then I could use an infrared temp gage see if the surface of the radiator is more or less evenly heated.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
from your vid, your ac core looks like NCporsche's old radiator...filled with bugs, bunny hair and mirco road kill.

if you remove the cooling system radiator, it would be simple to back flush the AC core. no need to go through the expense of dumping the refrigerant.
this is what I would like to try, Im just trying to see how to remove it. I see a couple of bolts holding it on, but is there more to it?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

A new 951 radiator? Dang I bet that was some bucks.

I do not recall any trouble changing the AC condenser on my 1986 951, it was 10 years ago or more but I recall being surprised at how easy it was. Have you looked?

You can probably IR a decent amount of the the radiator without removing it.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Update:

I pulled off the AC condenser radiator. I tried cleaning it. But it was actually really clean. So I started up the car (w AC condenser off) and let it fully warm up as much as I could without driving it just to make sure it was not leaking and such.

Good news is it never got much past in between the two white lines. When it finally did the first fan kicked on and dropped the temperature down to the first white line. The needle rose again after a few minutes but the fan was still running continuously and it never went past the middle of the two white lines - and it didn't fall either. I let the car run at idle for over 15-20 minutes and the oil never got up to full temp.

One thing I did notice was if I blipped the throttle the temp dropped to the first white line then rose back up to the middle again.

The radiator does not have a blockage. The IR gun showed even temps across the whole surface

The next test is to road test it. To see if I can get the oil and water up to full temp.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:09 PM
JBC1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System

I have found that I must use at Coolant Pressure Tester to pressurize the system and remove all air before the system works properly. This includes cycling the heater core, etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been following this thread from the beginning. I have a few questions for you. One, how's the heater working. It should be hot like hell this time of the year and stay hot for at lease 10 mins? Does the fan's eventually turn off or do they keep running? And, do you own a infrared temp gun?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marc abrams
I've been following this thread from the beginning. I have a few questions for you. One, how's the heater working. It should be hot like hell this time of the year and stay hot for at lease 10 mins? Does the fan's eventually turn off or do they keep running? And, do you own a infrared temp gun?
The heater is working. I had it on high.
It stays hot as long as I keep it on.
The fans seem to keep running. At least when I come to a stop the low fan is on. I haven't been able to get the temp high enough since I replaced the thermostat the other day. I guess that's a good sign. However I've now only driven it 15 min. But it did pretty much get fully warmed up. Other than replacing the thermosat I removed the ac condenser radiator before my test run.

I do have a IR gun. I checked various areas/parts and what I did confirm is that the whole radiator is generally evenly heated.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is the temperature drop across the radiator?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:21 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When the radiator fan is on, can you feel hot air being produced? Should be as hot as the heater. Does the air flow feel strong?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

What is the temperature drop across the radiator?
EDIT:

ok I just went out for a early drive. I got the car up to working temp.
The reading below were taken with the temp need on car gauge 1/16" form upper white mark on gauge.
I do have the undertrays off right now.
I took my IR temp gauge and from the front of the car looking at the radiator this is what I measured:

Mind you the low fan was running continuously and the temperature (need on car gauge) did not drop. It stayed fixed at 1/16" from upper white mark.
It about 82 degrees F outside and these tests were done in my garage.

top left corner: 115 F
top right corner: 159 F
bottom left corner: 100 F
bottom right corner: 158 F
Center of radiator: 110 F

Last edited by Last Lemming; 05-21-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Freakn' cooling system. - where to go from here