Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: low-cost new DME harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Feeler: low-cost new DME harnesses

Wondering if anybody would be interested in getting a new DME (engine) harness made up, by yours truly.

Fairly soon, I am going to be making a new harness for my car (early NA) and would be able/willing to put together some more if there was interest/demand.

My plan for the harness is:
- use standard AWG wiring rather than trying to find "genuine Metric" stuff, to lower costs.
- in the event of an "in-between" metric vs AWG size, I will use the larger AWG size for added current capacity/lower resistance.
- again for cost, I may use fewer colors of wire but mark them appropriately to be traced via diagram if needed.
- all-new connectors throughout (for injectors, sensors, etc)...the only plug that would be re-used would be the DME plug itself, and maybe the 9-pin power plug if I can't find a suitable replacement.
- all the pins will be new, no soldered-together wire stubs to re-use original stuff.
- rubber connector boots will be new, unless the old ones are in good enough shape to reuse.
- I am thinking of "potting in" the pins to their connectors to prevent any possibility of water ingress past the boot, and to add strength to the joint.

If there is interest, it'd be easiest to send me your current harness (or a duplicate from another matching car) to model off of. If not doable...we can work it out.

I would like to wait until my own harness is built, before starting anyone else's.

To cover parts cost and my time to do these I am thinking around $250 out the door, including return shipping to you.

Let me know...
Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Count me in if you can do a 951!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

$250 is a really good deal. I have a spreadsheet with all the connector parts, of course excluding the DME connector, and it was about $200 including new wire before labor.

The harness I'm currently running was about the same, building it from all new parts.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Wondering if anybody would be interested in getting a new DME (engine) harness made up, by yours truly.

Fairly soon, I am going to be making a new harness for my car (early NA) and would be able/willing to put together some more if there was interest/demand.

My plan for the harness is:
- use standard AWG wiring rather than trying to find "genuine Metric" stuff, to lower costs.
- in the event of an "in-between" metric vs AWG size, I will use the larger AWG size for added current capacity/lower resistance.
- again for cost, I may use fewer colors of wire but mark them appropriately to be traced via diagram if needed.
- all-new connectors throughout (for injectors, sensors, etc)...the only plug that would be re-used would be the DME plug itself, and maybe the 9-pin power plug if I can't find a suitable replacement.
- all the pins will be new, no soldered-together wire stubs to re-use original stuff.
- rubber connector boots will be new, unless the old ones are in good enough shape to reuse.
- I am thinking of "potting in" the pins to their connectors to prevent any possibility of water ingress past the boot, and to add strength to the joint.

If there is interest, it'd be easiest to send me your current harness (or a duplicate from another matching car) to model off of. If not doable...we can work it out.

I would like to wait until my own harness is built, before starting anyone else's.

To cover parts cost and my time to do these I am thinking around $250 out the door, including return shipping to you.

Let me know...
Freaking sweet for the early. Moving the fuse panel too? (Please God)
Old 04-29-2016, 01:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Freaking sweet for the early. Moving the fuse panel too? (Please God)
My intention is to re-wire my own car, to one of two setups...
1) leave battery where it is, and put a new fuse/relay panel in the tray next to the battery. Plenty of space, if it's a weatherproof box.
2) relocate battery and new fuse box to the spare wheel well...sweet, but I still carry the spare wheel, for the day I need it...

The harness in this thread is JUST for the engine/DME, not the body wiring.

Though maybe once I figure out my car's new body harness...
Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

My 83 I want restored but the fuse box has to have something done. Sigh. Keep me updated.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
Count me in if you can do a 951!
If you could send me a 951 harness I could make it happen.
May be a little bit more expensive because there are just more wires/connectors on a 951 but not by much.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a spare 951 harness that's intact but a bit tattered, I wouldn't mind loaning it to you for as long as it's useful.

I'm eager to see how yours turns out!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

What will you do about the molded test connector under the hood? I ended up deleting mine and moving the B wire (KLR#18) to the dashboard test connector.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

If anyone needs a core for a early (1982-3) harness, I have one, make an offer. A few connectors are chipped that are around the manifold, but they would be replaced anyway.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
What will you do about the molded test connector under the hood? I ended up deleting mine and moving the B wire (KLR#18) to the dashboard test connector.
Don't know, early cars don't have one. Would probably have to reuse the original, but with new wires.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad to see this..I think I could swing it in a couple of months..Have to build up the Paypal..anyway, I was wondering what the color combo? of wires was that feed the aux fuse box? I need to tap into it so I can run my second aux fuse box. If anyone has a main fuse box with a lid, that they would be willing to part with, I'll be interested..to buy it. PM me, pls..Thanks.

Last edited by Tiger03447; 05-01-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Feeler: low-cost new DME harnesses