Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 1987 944s!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Accidental double post.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Pick up the Balance shaft tool and the flywheel lock, they are quite handy to have in your toolbox. You will also need a set of good quality XZN (aka Triple Square) bits/sockets for the cam chain/pads replacement. The Cam caps are held on with XZN bolts that are shallow, they strip easy so make sure you wake them up first and then push the ratchet in hard and straight when breaking them loose. Look for FRporschemans 968 cam pad replacement guide here in the forums, it is excellent the procedure is the same for both cars. The pads and chain are different for the S/S2 than the 968 though, so ignore his part numbers for those.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Why don't you tow it home so you can work on it at your own pace? This is especially important if you're not familiar with these cars.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, welcome and congrats! Sounds like you got a sweet deal, even if it doesn't run yet.

I thought your username sounded familiar, and then I reread the Jalopnik article about the front-engine exhibit at the Porsche museum and yep, you're in the comments. Always good to see fellow Jalops here, even though I'll probably never make it out of grey status.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice deal! Make sure you change that belt as others have said because 16 valves are not cheap. Car looks pretty clean too!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
Pick up the Balance shaft tool and the flywheel lock, they are quite handy to have in your toolbox. You will also need a set of good quality XZN (aka Triple Square) bits/sockets for the cam chain/pads replacement. The Cam caps are held on with XZN bolts that are shallow, they strip easy so make sure you wake them up first and then push the ratchet in hard and straight when breaking them loose. Look for FRporschemans 968 cam pad replacement guide here in the forums, it is excellent the procedure is the same for both cars. The pads and chain are different for the S/S2 than the 968 though, so ignore his part numbers for those.
Thanks for the tip! I was already going to pick up the Arnnworx master tool kit that has everything for the timing belt change procedure, but I'll look up the guide for the tensioner pad replacement too. Will I also need camshaft lock blocks? I know when I did the timing on my BMW V8's I needed those. Also, is the chain worth replacing?

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Why don't you tow it home so you can work on it at your own pace? This is especially important if you're not familiar with these cars.
That's the backup plan. If I can't get it to run and drive well tonight then I'll look into getting it towed.

Originally Posted by Buthter
Hey, welcome and congrats! Sounds like you got a sweet deal, even if it doesn't run yet.

I thought your username sounded familiar, and then I reread the Jalopnik article about the front-engine exhibit at the Porsche museum and yep, you're in the comments. Always good to see fellow Jalops here, even though I'll probably never make it out of grey status.
Haha I'm always on Jalopnik, I love that place. I'm also on Bimmer Forums (E38/E39/Z3 sections) and M5Board (E39 M5 section). I got out of the greys pretty quickly, but it might also help that I know one of the Jalopnik writers in person.

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Nice deal! Make sure you change that belt as others have said because 16 valves are not cheap. Car looks pretty clean too!
I'm already researching it, and as soon as I get the car home I'm gonna order the parts and dive right into it.

If I can get it running properly tonight, my next concern would be the clutch, as I know these cars have their sketchy rubber puck clutches that fall apart with age. At 118k miles is it even possible for the car to still have its stock clutch?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 PM
p-talk
Intermediate

Good point on the clutch. But that's less of a concern than the TB and WP situation. Believe it or not my 1984 is still running on the stock clutch . . . for now.

What part of Tucson is the car in? I'm in the central area and have never seen that car around (probably because it didn't run! )

Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny
(* snip for brevity *)
If I can get it running properly tonight, my next concern would be the clutch, as I know these cars have their sketchy rubber puck clutches that fall apart with age. At 118k miles is it even possible for the car to still have its stock clutch?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very possible to still have the rubber center clutch. My 1987 944S still had the rubber clutch disk installed when I purchased it in 2014.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:28 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Thanks for the tip! I was already going to pick up the Arnnworx master tool kit that has everything for the timing belt change procedure, but I'll look up the guide for the tensioner pad replacement too. Will I also need camshaft lock blocks? I know when I did the timing on my BMW V8's I needed those. Also, is the chain worth replacing?
+1 on the Arnnworx master tool kit. You should also get the fuel pressure gauge the sell.

Speaking of fuel... CHANGE THE RUBBER FUEL LINES!
These things crack with age. Get braided ones with the extra snake mesh you can put over them. The last thing you want is all your hard work to go up in flames.

I've changed all the valves in my 16. You don't need any special tools to hold the cam if you are changing it out but unless there is damage you won't need to touch them.

A tip on the valve cover gasket. Don't use and extra sealer other than a little touch on the corners. I just applied a light coat of oil and it has held beautifully.

Chris
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 PM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

Originally Posted by p-talk
Good point on the clutch. But that's less of a concern than the TB and WP situation. Believe it or not my 1984 is still running on the stock clutch . . . for now.

What part of Tucson is the car in? I'm in the central area and have never seen that car around (probably because it didn't run! )
It's like Northwest Tucson, like 5 minutes off of the I-10 at exit 252. It's in what appears to be a trailer park.

Originally Posted by ramius665
It is very possible to still have the rubber center clutch. My 1987 944S still had the rubber clutch disk installed when I purchased it in 2014.
Yikes. Well at least the clutch won't cause the engine to blow up haha.

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
+1 on the Arnnworx master tool kit. You should also get the fuel pressure gauge the sell.

Speaking of fuel... CHANGE THE RUBBER FUEL LINES!
These things crack with age. Get braided ones with the extra snake mesh you can put over them. The last thing you want is all your hard work to go up in flames.

I've changed all the valves in my 16. You don't need any special tools to hold the cam if you are changing it out but unless there is damage you won't need to touch them.

A tip on the valve cover gasket. Don't use and extra sealer other than a little touch on the corners. I just applied a light coat of oil and it has held beautifully.
I'll probably end up changing the fuel lines for sure, I did all of the fuel lines in my 1995 BMW 750il because they kept bursting and leaking at the worst times.

I'm not changing the valves at the moment, I just wanted to know if I need to lock the camshafts at TDC for the timing belt job.

I figured I wouldn't use much extra sealer on the valve cover gasket anyways, it's the same case with the super finicky BMW valve cover gaskets. BMW makes amazing engines, but they just can't figure out how to make a valve cover gasket that doesn't leak.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

I'm not changing the valves at the moment, I just wanted to know if I need to lock the camshafts at TDC for the timing belt job.

I figured I wouldn't use much extra sealer on the valve cover gasket anyways, it's the same case with the super finicky BMW valve cover gaskets. BMW makes amazing engines, but they just can't figure out how to make a valve cover gasket that doesn't leak.
What you can do is get the engine then lock to TDC with with flywheel lock. If you changing the chain then just make some marks with a marker to line back up. The cams also have timing marks.

You can also use the ignition rotor bolts to lock down the timing.

Chris
Old 04-28-2016, 03:25 AM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

What you can do is get the engine then lock to TDC with with flywheel lock. If you changing the chain then just make some marks with a marker to line back up. The cams also have timing marks.

You can also use the ignition rotor bolts to lock down the timing.

Chris
Ah gotcha. I was worried the camshafts might get out of sync with the crankshaft once the belts are off, but if there are timing marks then it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm just too used to my BMW V8's where nothing is really marked and the slightest discrepancy in timing causes tons of error codes.

And once again I am delayed in getting the car, mostly due to the seller taking a while to get the title transferred over. I picked up the parts (fuel pump, DME relay) today along with a set of jumper cables, which I've never really needed up until now. I'll also be bringing along the battery from my currently garaged M5, which is fully charged and ready to go as well. I suppose all of these delays have helped me in a way, so I can come down there fully prepared to get this car running again.

I'm buying an air filter box from a fellow member here, so thankfully that's sorted out, and in the meantime I'll just buy some cheap Autozone cone filter and duct tape it onto the intake.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Ah gotcha. I was worried the camshafts might get out of sync with the crankshaft once the belts are off, but if there are timing marks then it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm just too used to my BMW V8's where nothing is really marked and the slightest discrepancy in timing causes tons of error codes.
And remember to block those oil passages so nothing falls down to the bottom end. There also is a J-tube that is fragile that supplies oil to the chain tensioner. Just be careful with that and the super thin washers it has.

Using the thin bolts to lock down the cam gear is so that your timing advance is not lost. Resetting this properly involves two dial gauges and a custom rig to hold them on the cam.

Oh and I remembered on the way into work...
Disconnect (or cut off?) the power steering sensor that's on the pump. If it shorts you'll lose the entire harness.

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 04-28-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Arominus
Race Car

There is a good chance you will need a new j-tube. On my 88S the tube was partially plastic and only the ends were left, the rest had disintegrated. I ordered a new all steel tube from porsche and will never need to be replaced again.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

And remember to block those oil passages so nothing falls down to the bottom end. There also is a J-tube that is fragile that supplies oil to the chain tensioner. Just be careful with that and the super thin washers it has.

Using the thin bolts to lock down the cam gear is so that your timing advance is not lost. Resetting this properly involves two dial gauges and a custom rig to hold them on the cam.

Oh and I remembered on the way into work...
Disconnect (or cut off?) the power steering sensor that's on the pump. If it shorts you'll lose the entire harness.
Is there a guide on doing the belts on a 944S? Most of the ones I've seen so far have been for the regular 8v 944 engines. I assume the majority of the steps are the same except for the camshafts.

And what is the power steering sensor for? Does disconnecting it change anything? I'd like to keep my power steering if possible haha

Quick Reply: Bought a 1987 944s!