Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak from what seems like the top of the oil cooler housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak from what seems like the top of the oil cooler housing

so i am thinking my oil pressure sender could definitely use a replace and new washer, but there are drip pools of oil that are above that. the bottom (visible) side of the oil cooler housing is ok, but maybe on the hidden upper side behind that shield, it could be leaking. is taking off the exhaust manifold pretty easy? would that be how i could confirm that its leaking? does it make sense to check before ordering all the stuff for the oil cooler seals and doing that job - how long does that job usually take? I bet the seals are all OEM so replacing them couldn't hurt. seems like cam housing and head gasket seals are good on the car. just trying to work upwards. is the upper side of the oil cooler outer gasket even likely to leak? it's under oil pressure i am thinking right? curious if there are any other culprits i might look at
Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not a bad idea to change this proactively. For some, removing the exhaust is a simple matter of removing the bolts, but they can be troublesome for others. It's best to replace the gaskets if you remove the manifold, too. There is also the heat shield in the way, no?

Maybe just use a good flashlight and a mirror to get a better look? You should actually be able to see most of the top of the cooler just by taking a close look above the engine.
I agree with you that since the oil is under a lot of pressure, it would be able to leak from any side of the cooler, not just the bottom.
Oil cooler seals are not a quick job; if it's your first time it could take most of the day. If you changed them, you would either fix the leak or discover where it's actually coming from. I would definitely recommend changing them at the first sign of a problem. The bonus is you end up with fresh oil and fresh coolant.

Quick Reply: oil leak from what seems like the top of the oil cooler housing