Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you unlock the steering wheel without a key....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:39 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, guys......

Did any of you actually read the question? What does removing the steering wheel have to do with unlocking it?
Geo, you were condecending to me first. I merely posted the way I knew how to get the ignition switch out and thus be able to turn the wheel.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by iloveporsches
Geo, you were condecending to me first. I merely posted the way I knew how to get the ignition switch out and thus be able to turn the wheel.
Ah. Touche'!

You're right. I deserved that. Sorry.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Legoland951
Geo, did they pop the cylinder out? Do you have to use a flathead screwdriver of the right size to start your car? If not, then someone removed the steering wheel to remove the lock assembly. Also, for you to be able to drive it, you have to keep the lock assembly in after you gut it out since the assembly also centers the steering shaft in the middle of the steer column housing. A recommendation for giving advice is unless you have done it, classify it as an opinion so it does not confuse the person asking the question. You are welcome to PM me and I can give you my phone # so I can walk you through it.
OK, Finally got around to getting the digital photos into my computer so I can upload them.

Attached is a photo of my steering shaft/lock assembly part as it exists today. Can you explain about how the lock mechanism centers the steering column? It appears to me that there is a bearing/bushing at the very end of the steering column tube. Also, the lock assembly is out of the car and there appears to be nothing that the assembly does to center the steering column.

I'm not trying to be a peckerhead here. I'm curious if there is more going on than what I can see. From the photos you can now see what I'm looking at and why I came from the perspective I did.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2003, 03:45 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Can't really see in the picture and I wasn't paying attention when I riped the parts out of my car but once I took the lock assembly out and put the steering wheel back on the steering column wobbled all around.

It does in fact center it, how I am not positive.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by *Michael.*
Can't really see in the picture and I wasn't paying attention when I riped the parts out of my car but once I took the lock assembly out and put the steering wheel back on the steering column wobbled all around.

It does in fact center it, how I am not positive.
Did you pull out the lock cylinder and the ignition switch (white thingie that comes in from the back)?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:08 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

I unplugged the cable from the back, loosened the one allen bolt on the bottom left side and pulled the entire piece off, lock core and all.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by *Michael.*
I unplugged the cable from the back, loosened the one allen bolt on the bottom left side and pulled the entire piece off, lock core and all.
So what you're saying is that you removed more than I did, correct? I'm just trying to get down to what is what.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:57 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Right, the piece that the lock core fits into....I removed that entire piece. That way you don't mangle your lock core.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Geo
Race Director

OK. Gotcha. Now I understand.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:59 PM
Akirari Chard
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also read information from many places and found the 3 most effective and easiest to implement.
1: Unlocking with a second key
2: Replacing the ignition system
3: Using adhesive locks to release
There are certainly different methods of unlocking the steering wheel. In the event of a locked steering wheel, you can try whatever works for you.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:14 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Steering wheel lock

One of the posters related that he had stripped out one(?) of the 3 screws that holds the turn signal/wiper switch to the ignition housing. The housings go for about 125.00 (US) each. They are zinc pot metal and are easy to strip. When I did this to mine, I substituted #6 self tapping sheet metal screws as a substitute. Worked like a charm . Sorry purists, but I had other issues going on at the time.. like limited funds for the new part, and I don’t have my drill press set up yet in the new garage to redrill and timesert the holes..maybe next time I’m in there. Thanks
Old 11-29-2022, 06:26 AM
Akirari Chard
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akirari Chard
I have also read information from many places and found the 3 most effective and easiest to implement.
1: Unlocking with a second key
2: Replacing the ignition system
3: Using adhesive locks to release
There are certainly different methods of unlocking the steering wheel. In the event of a locked steering wheel, you can try whatever works for you.
I have also read information from many places and found that the most effective and easiest way to do this is the following method: Apply release adhesive Another method of unlocking the steering wheel is to use a pressure washer to remove road debris as this is how it works Lubricant for loosening sticky strands.

Quick Reply: How do you unlock the steering wheel without a key....