Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a 944 S2 - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Going to look at a 944 S2 - any advice?

I'm going to be looking at a 944 in a couple of days, but I've never owned one before and I have some basic questions about what I should pay particular attention to. I'm very familiar and experienced with 911s, and I'll check all of the obvious things regarding condition, records, etc.

Car is a '90 S2 Cabriolet

Is there anything about the 944 (especially the cabriolet) that I should focus on? Common problem areas?

Also:
- where is the VIN sticker located?
- where is the option code sticker located?
- how much does a TB/WP service cost at a shop (ballpark)?
- how much for a new clutch at a shop? I heard the turbo clutch is outrageous...similar for an S2?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo clutch and s2 clutch are same cost... $$

Don't know about cabs but I'd think you'll want to know about the chain tensioner pads in addition to the tb and wp
Old 02-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck on your quest.

VIN should be clearly visible on a tag that is visible from the lower drivers side windshield.

The build/option codes for coupes are on a sticker at the rear of the hatch area under the carpet - not sure on a cab but its gotta be in that neighborhood.

PO had teh WP and timing/balance belt done in mid '14 and I believe bill was $1600 or so including parts. Fairly typical from what I hear.

No experience on the clutch, knock on wood...
Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 AM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option codes will be under the carpet in the trunk just to the driver's side. You won't be able to really see it, but snap a pic with your phone. It would be a good idea to print a listing of all the M-codes so you know what to look for. As for cab specific: check the truck seal (under if possible), condition of all rubber on cab/windshield, have the owner lower the top for you, inspect tonneau cover fo fading, look for general fading of the vinyl/carpet, inspect windshield (different than coupes). The black inner liner of the top is easy to shut in the rear seats, check for wear. Check closure and rubber stops on the trunk lid.

With all that said I have a 90 S2 and they are wonderful as well as rewarding to drive. What color combination is it?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

The cab sticker is in the same place.

The clutch is similar in cost to the 951 but the crossover to the turbo is not in the way on the S2, and it does not use the Turbo-size clutch. A 944NA clutch is a better comparison.
Cam chain pads are a bid deal
Broken or repaired convertible top main bows are a big deal, repairs may not last.
Check for missing cab top window seals, these are quite expensive.

Otherwise it's pretty typical stuff. There has been one sitting around a car lot and shop East of Boulder for a few years. Maybe it's one of the employee cars.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:32 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Pretty much follow what Clark's Garage has:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/ then go to "Purchasing a 944" on the left column for a very thorough inspection check list.

While the S2 has a bigger engine and is different from both the 944 and Turbo, it's not really any different to work on.

As mentioned, the camshaft timing chain tensioner pads in the cylinder head should be checked. If they are worn then the camshaft chain can jump, damage the camshaft gears and valves. Very easy to check and replace; about an hour total if you are used to working on Porsches.

The convertible tops are always an issue. Sometimes the owner(s) disconnect the motor linkage so the top becomes manual to prevent breaking the support arms & bows. If the motor linkage gets out of synchronization, it will break the arms/bows. Do a search, there is a lot of info on this topic. Also, make sure that it comes with the convertible top locking tool(s). The factory provided two of them, you will need only one to unlock the convertible top at the top of the windshield.

Good luck with your purchase, plenty of owners here who can help, and you will definitely enjoy driving the car!

Last edited by PaulD_944S2; 02-15-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a further clarification on the location of the option code sticker.
It is on the metal body panel behind the carpeted back panel inside the trunk, just to the left of the trunk latch area.
You can unsnap the carpeted panel and then you really have to stick your head down into the trunk and look toward the back of the car to see the sticker.
As suggested above, the best thing to do it to take a cell phone photo.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Probably goes without saying, but check for smooth and equal side operation of the Cab roof mechanism.

Mis-adjustment or worn parts can lead to significant damage of the mechanism = $$$$
Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate all the advice, guys. I'm looking forward to some top down fun! Pics to follow if I buy the car.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also look into the lower b-pillar vents (easy to take them out) and light downwards to see what it looks like in there.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/scatmandibs/20130921_180447_zps281a11d7.jpg

good buyer's guides:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...yers_guide.htm

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1298752427

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 944 S2 - any advice?