Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak and wet inner windshield double post

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak and wet inner windshield double post

trying to figure out a little oil leak. cam housing gasket seems dry as a bone, head gasket isnt leaking, not really seeing anything top end.

also having this super wet windshield. could this much moisture be just from having some backed up tubes around my sunroof that cause water to build up a little in the passenger and passenger rear footwells (working on getting seals for my sunroof) - or could this be from a front window that isnt sealed right. I live in rainy seattle, so wetness is all around me at the moment.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does more water come in when you put on the brakes?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM
jbob
Racer

thanks for the reply

cant say ive noticed a correlation with braking. but sometimes i swear the dash is wet. the wetness on the inside could just be insane amounts of condensation due to my poor car being a wet sponge during the winter. lookign to drop some coin on new seals for hatch windows, maybe windshield if that sounds wise, and some others when i get the car painted. will be nice if i can get it closer to a car that isnt soaking inside all the time
Old 02-11-2016, 08:16 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
thanks for the reply

cant say ive noticed a correlation with braking. but sometimes i swear the dash is wet. the wetness on the inside could just be insane amounts of condensation due to my poor car being a wet sponge during the winter. lookign to drop some coin on new seals for hatch windows, maybe windshield if that sounds wise, and some others when i get the car painted. will be nice if i can get it closer to a car that isnt soaking inside all the time
I would be thinking there's a leak. That's so much water. Can you spray a hose around the area as a test?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 AM
jbob
Racer

today i noticed some wetness dripping on my right (gas pedal) foot. mainly the wetness is on the passenger side.

do you guys think doing the inner and outer seals on the sunroof will remedy this?

looking at painting or vinyl wrapping the car - assuming to myself that seals like this would happen after stripping off trim and having that paint/wrap done.

this can't stand thought. gotta figure this out. terrible to have the passenger seat be wet when giving a ride. thanks guys
Old 02-19-2016, 06:59 PM
jbob
Racer

still trying to get a handle on the oil leak. it seems to gather on the elbow of the part with the oil filter on it. all sides of cam housing seem dry. rear seal seems dry. only side i can't see is top side of the bolt on oil cooler thing.

are the pictures just not descriptive enough?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

What year is your car? If it's an early one, the driver side wetness could be traveling in from the antenna hole in the fender. But most probably coming from plugged drain tubes for the sunroof.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

The wetness in the passenger foot well could also be from a rotted battery box bottom, down through the coachwork. If it's a late model car, it's probably dripping on your DME as well.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 PM
jbob
Racer

its an 87 924S which i love, but also always has me scrambling to figure out which ways its like early and late 944 cars
Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

JBob: If it's after 85.5 it's a late model car. don't delay in checking out the battery box bottom and drain. If it's leaking on the DME you will be left stranded at some point. As far as the sunroof drains go, there's one at each corner of the sunroof. Remove the sunroof or slide it back. Run a piece of wire down the through the hole in the corner and out the bottom of the car...probably full of spruce needles. Hope this helps to solve some of the problems. Contact Joey Stanker on this list and get with him. Nice guy and lives in Seattle..Has lots of posts and knows his way around 944's.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

On your oil leak, I've heard it's not uncommon for the oil filters to leak on these....
Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Oil filters don't leak on 944s...but surprisingly, the oil pressure sender DOES leak sometimes.
Oil comes out through the electrical terminals (!)...just replace it.

Mine has been doing it for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:17 PM
jbob
Racer

thanks for the help guys

i did some science yesterday trying to clue in on exactly whats leaking - we had a clear day after a record breaking rainy winter here in seattle.

one thing i found was the battery compartment had over an inch of standing water. is the passenger front drain tube supposed to drain into that closed cavity? seems weird that it wouldn't drain somewhere that would run to the ground. also when i pour water on the car any water on the passenger side of the windshield runs into that cavity as well. could i be missing a part that is meant to run that water elsewhere? or is that cavity supposed to collect water (i can't imagine that it would be)

the drain tubes all seemed ok, but it turns out something i have known all along is the main culprit - the delaminating hatch - which i have been planning on having redone by a guy reco'd by a local 944 spec mechanic. toyed with the idea of doing it myself, but my garage is below my daughters room and not sure about using stinky epoxies etc.

i'm still wondering why on the driver door, water was collecting on the door runner when i would open the door.

tightened the antenna, and will try the flashlight trick.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:51 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
One thing i found was the battery compartment had over an inch of standing water. Is the passenger front drain tube supposed to drain into that closed cavity?
There should not be standing water in the battery compartment.

Your drain channel is undoubtedly clogged from years of decomposing leaves and twigs. Suggest you soften the crud with some warm water and carefully ream the channel.

Quick Reply: oil leak and wet inner windshield double post