Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halfway through my clutch job - questions on the torque tube and the clutch fork pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Halfway through my clutch job - questions on the torque tube and the clutch fork pin

So I got the torque tube disconnected yesterday. I expected the thing to be destroyed, but it appears to me to be okay. A little backstory - the car started vibrating hard in the middle of the rev-range during a race, but we continued driving it. Drove for about 8 hours and then the clutch let go - the way it failed I suspect the throwout bearing binded up. Going in, there was some suspicion the torque tube bearings had come apart, but I don't see the smoking gun I was looking for.

I spun the thing by hand, and while it looks like the shaft might have a little runout, it doesn't look like anything that would cause serious vibration at speed. The bearings themselves even feel smooth. I didn't notice any crunchyness you usually feel with bad bearings.

Talking with Constantine of Black Sea (that does torque tube rebuilds) he mentioned that if the bearings come loose it will often eat up the nub at the end of the driveshaft that sits into the pilot bearing. I test fit the new pilot bearing, and there is a small amount of play, but not an amount I would expect from the end being beat up. Looks like normal wear to me.

Complicating matters further, near the end of the race the exhaust broke off, and the vibration seemed like it was not as severe. Its possible the vibration was the exhaust rubbing somewhere on the frame.

Video - testing for side to side play in bearing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9v5mfdbgd...27.40.mp4?dl=0

Video - spinning driveshaft by hand
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vss47fkznj...27.07.mp4?dl=0

Video - test fitting pilot bearing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4fd6c3s6y...26.20.mp4?dl=0

https://i.imgur.com/fhLTmPx.jpg

Second question - has anyone used the tool from arnnworx to remove the clutch fork pin? That thing is seriously stuck in there. Assuming I can't get it out, I just undo the pressure plate bolts from the hole where the starter used to be and the whole thing comes off?

Last edited by ddombrowski; 02-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know what the Arnworks clutch fork pin tool is... I've always used a large slide hammer with good success.

I think, until you see the condition of clutch disk and pressure plate, it's premature to make any conclusions about the drive shaft.

Are your engine mounts good? (not torn in half?)
Old 02-08-2016, 12:12 PM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Engine mounts are good. I tried threading a bolt into the pin, grabbing it with some vice grips, and hitting it with a hammer. Not moving, not even close. I'm doing this on jackstands so I don't have much room for a real slide hammer.

Here is the arnnworx tool: http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...8#.Vri-PLIrLbg

I suppose you're right that it is premature to guess the vibration without seeing the clutch disc and pressure plate. Believe me, I really really wish I could be posting pictures of those as well right now, but the clutch fork defeated me as of last night. I was just hoping someone could chime in with a "no, all driveshafts look like that, yours is good" or "holy crap that looks terrible, all the ones I do are perfect!"

If I don't find a smoking gun on the vibration from the clutch/PP, then I'm faced with the decision to put it all back together and risk having to remove the trans/torque tube again if the vibration persists, or prematurely swap the driveshaft from my parts car (which is a ton of extra work).
Old 02-08-2016, 12:18 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

What about swapping the entire torque tube from the parts car? A little less work that way.

Also in case you haven't seen this:

http://www.blackseard.com/site/index...id=9&Itemid=11

The middle shaft, it says, is visually ok but there was still looseness in the pilot bearing.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
What about swapping the entire torque tube from the parts car? A little less work that way.
Sorry, I didnt mean just the driveshaft, I meant the whole torque tube. Even still though, its a lot of extra work in the sense that I have to drop the rear suspension on two cars (plus actually pull the trans on the second car).
Originally Posted by odonnell
Also in case you haven't seen this:

http://www.blackseard.com/site/index...id=9&Itemid=11

The middle shaft, it says, is visually ok but there was still looseness in the pilot bearing.
I had seen that. Thats what I was referring to when I put the note about the nub at the end of the shaft being worn down and why I put the video up of me test-fitting the pilot bearing. The website says that the middle shaft was 'unacceptable' but I don't know of any spec, official or otherwise, for what is acceptable.

It says that pronounced vibrations will ruin the clutch, and I can certainly see that, but I don't have a feel for how much slop in the driveshaft will cause 'pronounced vibrations' without having worked on a half dozen or more of these cars like some of you guys have.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

The Arnworks tool looks good - just make one yourself with a piece of pipe, some threaded rod, a washer and a nut.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:55 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

How much is a TT rebuild? Seems like a good idea while its out.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Agree with Van. I'd take it apart first. I don't notice anything in those videos that seems bad, though I'm not a TT expert by any means. I trust you removed the bolt that locks the fork axle in place?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Agree with Van. I'd take it apart first. I don't notice anything in those videos that seems bad, though I'm not a TT expert by any means. I trust you removed the bolt that locks the fork axle in place?
Yes, removed that one.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:40 AM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltusler
How much is a TT rebuild? Seems like a good idea while its out.
North of 1,000 if we go with the rebuild from Black Sea, plus the additional labor of having to drop the rear suspension and another alignment afterwards. Not something I want to do if I don't have to, especially not on a budget limited chumpcar.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ddombrowski

Second question - has anyone used the tool from arnnworx to remove the clutch fork pin? That thing is seriously stuck in there. Assuming I can't get it out, I just undo the pressure plate bolts from the hole where the starter used to be and the whole thing comes off?
Yes you can undo the pressure plate bolts to remove the clutch and bell housing as a unit... bin there done that...
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Check out the video on Clark's garage about the TT rebuild if you decide to go it alone. Sonic bearings will get you some good SKF bearings and there's an outfit in Canada that will sell you the new delrin inserts. I had a buddy machine me a special tool to help with the insertion of the bearings to keep them from "cocking" on insertion. Good luck..
Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 AM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Just for future people finding this, I posted an update here. To assume the torque tube was premature, it ended up being a bad rubber-centered clutch.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post13037236
Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ddombrowski
Just for future people finding this, I posted an update here. To assume the torque tube was premature, it ended up being a bad rubber-centered clutch.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post13037236
That's why you should listen to those who have the experience, this has been documented a thousand times and people never listens. Did the mods erased the archives or the search option on the forum?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Relax, guy. I was operating under the assumption that we already had a standard spring type clutch. Regardless, I took the advice of Van and investigated further before making any purchases. I have plenty of experience with this stuff.

Quick Reply: Halfway through my clutch job - questions on the torque tube and the clutch fork pin